1. Chudz

Chudz New Member

Ancient Books

Discussion in 'Research' started by Chudz, Jul 26, 2010.

Well, I've done some research on the net and haven't quite found what I'm looking for. So I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone is familiar with the subject. What I'm looking for is a first edition that was published in the sixteenth century, doesn't matter where. Further, I'm trying to figure out the price for one that is badly damaged, think water stains, possibly missing cover and/or some pages etc. I'm looking for a low purchase price because it's going to be purchased by someone who doesn't have gobs of money. I can make something up if needed, but I'd like to ground this in reality if I'm able.

Thanks.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

It depends on how famous the author is. I did a quick search and found prices varying from $500 to around $75,000. The cheaper ones were from obscure authors, so that might be a route to take.

3. Chudz

Chudz New Member

Oh, this sounds like search-engine-failure-usage on my part, as I didn't find any for under ten grand. If you don't mind, what criteria did you use for the search?

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I typed in "16th century first edition."

5. Chudz

Chudz New Member

Thanks a bunch. I ended up having to modify the criteria a couple of times, but I finally found a site that yielded a good possibility.

I wonder if my first failed searches were because I spelled out sixteenth century instead of using 16th, *Shrug*