Animal that represents rising after defeat?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by TheMyst7885, Sep 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

The NYT article doesn't talk about any cases of dolphins killing people in the manner you describe. It talks about dolphins killing other dolphins and other marine mammals.

You said they pull people down to rape and drown them. I'd like to see a report of where that's actually happened.

2. Mary Elise

Mary Elise Senior Member

Not killed but could've been.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/frisky-dolphin-tries-to-get-busy-divers_n_1862148

Of course dolphins aren't the greatest hazard a professional diver faces. Nitrogen narcosis is far more common and deadly. But as my boy says, "when I'm 120 feet beneath the surface anything that can kill me I avoid if at all possible."

3. Mary Elise

Mary Elise Senior Member

4. Mary Elise

Mary Elise Senior Member

Here's a vid of a sexually oriented interaction with a diver.

The stupid search engines are bringing up all kinds of crap when I use different search terms so take it as you will.

Next time I talk to my boy I'll ask him for a link. He keeps up with all that stuff.

5. Mary Elise

Mary Elise Senior Member

6. Mary Elise

Mary Elise Senior Member

If you're interested in wolves you should read Nickolas Evans' The Loop. Fiction but accurate re: wolf behavior.

7. jim onion

jim onion New Member

@TheMyst7885 The symbolism should not be more important than the characters or the plot. It's supplemental. In the background.

Symbolism (the lion, the viper, etc.) is a vitamin. If you're not eating food and just eating vitamins, you'll die. The same is true with writing.

8. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

The term "lone wolf" actually started off as a warning as wolves are social creatures and so when you see one alone it's normally not a good sign. Either they are anti-social "rogue wolf" or have a disease.

I like the phoenix idea but it's not unusual and I've seen that symbol used quite often.

Hyena came to mind. As they are constantly knocked around by the biggest predators.
    But I think some research might need to be done. Look for animals low on the pecking order. Panthers and cheaters often get their food stolen off them if they can't drag it up a tree. But it's not an easy connection to make, finding a symbol like that. I love wolves so I like that symbolism anyway.

Mary Elise likes this.
  9. Mary Elise

Mary Elise Senior Member

@Naomasa298

I can't document this because it was a conversation and my son didn't call the news or anything. Take it as you will.

He says the problem with dolphins is that they will. not. stop. Hit a shark in the nose with a stun gun and the shark will turn tail. Hit a dolphin with a stun gun and you'll just piss it off.

He and a couple of buddies were diving off the far southern North Carolina shore for mastodon teeth (there's a huge cache of them at around 100') when a lone dolphin showed up. Some aggressive behavior but they didn't become too concerned until the dolphin went for the airline of one of his buddies.

They managed to move the dolphin off enough for his buddy to get his airline untangled but the dolphin returned ten minutes later and started again with the airline.

After a while they gave up and surfaced. He was embarrassed to admit he'd been chased out of the water by a single dolphin but losing your airline at 100' depth is no small matter.

ETA: He once got to swim with an enormous manta ray. I wish he'd been wearing his GoPro. He says it played with him for a while and let him hang on to the doral area for a few minutes.

That would've been cool.

10. Mary Elise

Mary Elise Senior Member

IIRC that phrase came into fashion during the last plague in Europe didn't it?

11. TheMyst7885

TheMyst7885 Active Member

Oh get it now, thanks! I'll try to balance it out more.

What if I combined the wolf, lion and phoenix as all one symbol for the MC and the girl he teams up with?

I figured it out, for the MC, I'm going to say that throughout the story his symbol turns to a roaring lion in flames with some form of falcon/hawk or eagle type wings attached to give it that rising phoenix feel and this also signifies his rage of rising up and vengeance on the main villain for taking him down, wounding him and for the villain to now being the manipulator in charge. The villain would be the military guy who had a symbolic viper and he merges with his original boss the original owner of Roaring Lions dojo who could now have that chimera lion/snake motif.

I think it could make sense that the MC thought maybe the military guy and the original owner of the Roaring Lions dojo were already gone or out of the MA business, so MC adopted the Roaring Lions logo to try and bring honesty to it and start it over but the bad guys caught the attention and gained it back and further corrupting the name like they originally had done. Is this original? Maybe I can save the wolf and moon for the female that teams up with him?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    cosmic lights likes this.
  12. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

Yes, as far as I know there was no killing of dogs and cats in Europe like there was in London in 1665. They felt dogs and cats spread it when in truth they probably helped by killing the infected rats. They had plague houses in Europe but hardly any in the UK. I know in the UK we believed the Plague was caused by Miasma's but not sure what the theory was in Europe.

I don't remember what country, might have been U.S, there was an outbreak of rabies and they used that term along with "rabid wolf". But I could be wrong.

Mary Elise likes this.
  13. Mary Elise

Mary Elise Senior Member

That sounds familiar too. I love etymology.

14. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Would a horse be a good symbol for that? Getting back on the horse when you fall has been a common phrase for a long time. I think in modern times, we tend to put a a bicycle in place of the horse, but I've still heard it with the horse.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  15. Katibel

Katibel Member

I used to raise mice. I have a pet snake, he's eighteen years old, so I raised mice for a long time. I've had a lot of experiences with the little buggers, and I've really come to understand them. Mice are hated, stepped on, used as metaphors for the disgusting or weak, and plotted against. Yet, they're some of the sweetest, cleanest survivalists. Their lives are short but they always, always make the best of them. They rely on their colony to survive, wherein they groom and defend one another, even rear each other's offspring. I've had mice bite and kick at me while moving them around, and it didn't matter that I was a giant. It didn't matter if I swatted them, threw them in surprise, or what have you, they always bounced back. And, what's even greater, they always left room in theirs hearts for forgiveness.

One mouse I had hated being picked up. I got so frustrated that I grabbed her by the tail. She whipped around and nipped me so good I tossed her in the air. She landed between my legs where we just stared at each other a moment. I realized I'd been wrong, and she realized she had power. We were equals. After that, to the day I sold her, she loved being in my hands. In fact, she just seemed to love people. Somehow our struggle turned to trust.

This story, though, is the most impressive to me: I once had a girl who was slated to be fed. My snake wouldn't touch her, though. She was too fast. She bounced around like a ping pong. She was so scared of my snake that even when I gave her food, she wouldn't eat. She got so thin and I felt so horrible. But, one day, I put an injured newborn mouse in with my boy. It wasn't gonna make it and he just swallows them, so I knew it would be a quick and painless death. Well! And I'd never seen a mouse ever do this before--but when that little baby started squeaking, the girl mouse metamorphosed from the scared juvenile she was, to this puffed up nightmare. All her fear sloughed away and she straight up tackled my snake! Went right for the eyes! He was so startled he slithered back into his cave, haha. And he's five-feet long!

That little girl mouse had never had a litter of her own, but somehow she just knew it was her responsibility to beat back that big baddie and spare the innocent. So I let her do it. I let her defeat fear, and she never showed fear again. The baby wasn't going to make it, though, so I had to remove her and let nature do its work. Still, I loved her. She did the right thing. Ever since then, and through all the hardships I've witnessed these little guys prevail through, I've thought of mice as miniature heroes. Not all of them are, just like with people, but as a species they are damn good at getting back on their feet.

So, they're what I thought of when I read your title. :) After reading the post I can't help but enjoy the contrast between the large and glorious phoenix and the humble appearance of the mouse, too. Both are strong, both are the same, despite these seeming differences. Both are prey items of the snake, too (well, you know, birds). But the snake is weaker than he appears.

Anyway, them's my thoughts. :p

Simpson17866 likes this.
  16. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Far out thought - how about a roly poly doll?