Anime and Manga

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by aimi_aiko, Apr 14, 2011.

1. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe New Member

.hack was surprising, I'll give it that.

I enjoyed watching the characters interact outside The World more than I did in the game. Once the series began to stretch I lost contact and interest. Kind of like the way Pokemon expanded beyond 151 little critters. I spent a good deal of time memorizing them all in high school. Not going through that experience again.

2. Lazy_Otaku271

Lazy_Otaku271 New Member

The music is really good, but at least in //SIGN the music was kind of distracting from the anime. I don't know if it was just to loud or to often or something, but I was noticing it way more than I should have. I think music should blend into the scene more than it did in //SIGN. However, as a stand-alone product the music is epic.

3. Coreen Hipae

Coreen Hipae New Member

Another series I absolutely love the music from is Last Exile. I personally rate this series in my top 10 all time favorites too, but thats the fanboy in me haha.
    Which makes me even more excited for the sequel coming out this year. If it holds up to the original it in my opinion will be epic.

4. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

I'm surprised to hear that there's going to be a sequel. I only knew about a leakage for a live-action film, but nothing to do with a sequel. I mean, I know this sounds like griping, but what more could they possibly do without having new material to work with? They can't focus a new story with Claus and Lavie because they've already resolved their issues in the first series: We find out what happened to their fathers, remember? Alex's connection to their family is also resolved. Plus the guild was destroyed along with Empress Delphine.

However, if you're correct and there is a new series in the works, it'll probably feature new characters. And in that case, I hope Claus and Lavie and Alvis make a special cameo appearance. I really do miss them. :(

Gonzo was a string of crappy failures until Last Exile came out. I've watched the series and loved most of it, up until the part where it gets ridiculous: Sophie making out with Claus was the final straw. But since the ending was the best roller-coaster ride I've ever taken without moving an inch from my couch, I forgave all and bought the original boxed set and all the dvds to go with it.

Rightstuf had that bargain sale where they were selling the DVDs at 5 bucks a pop.

5. Boriol

Boriol New Member

Touhou. I'd seen it all over the place before, but then when I figured out exactly what it was, I was addicted. I have no idea what it is, even as a writer. The guy who made it was freaking drunk. The Bad Apple animation was especially good--probably one of the best AMVs I've ever seen. Also, Reimu. 'Nuff said.

Clannad makes up for thousands of crap animes in the romance genre. I loved it.

Shinryaku! Ika Musume was a decent comedy with an adorable main character. It could have been SO much better, though, if the side-characters were even half as interesting as Ika.

Sora no Otoshimono has some epic fights. It's overflowing with ecchi, though, and the humor at some points isn't all that funny. At least all the characters are somewhat interesting. I don't really like the main character, though.

6. katnip

katnip New Member

my favorite animes are eden of the east and black bulter.. and my favorite manga are rosario+vampire, pyshco busters and rayearth, because the anime is never like the original manga.
    ^^my friends always talk about making their own manga one day, but addmit they're too lazy to

7. Smoke

Smoke New Member

I'm watching Paranoia Agent in order. When I was catching it on TV, I dismissed it as something that wasn't supposed to make sense. I still don't understand it, but there is a very complex narrative there.

8. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

You know what's ironic? Even though I love anime and manga, I really don't like Bleach...

Sad to say that after Host Club ended, the only manga I read is Naruto. And it's for Kakashi only. He needs his own series.

Can anyone suggest a funny and lighthearted shoujo manga? Like Host Club, High School Debut, etc? And not all drama like Nana (seriously, I was so pissed at absolutely every character. I didn't even enjoy reading it anymore).

9. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

Good choice in anime. I was very sad when I heard of Satoshi Kon's death. That man was genius underscored. PA just proved that his aesthetic abilities can work as much magic in a longer running series as it does in his films. You won't understand everything on first viewing, but you'll at least get a grasp of what Shonen Bat/Lil Slugger means to Tsukiko Sagi (the character designer for the pink dog Maromi). Once you realize who he is, you'll have a big "Ohhhhhh, so that's it!" moment.

You're not alone.The series gets almost as much hate as it does love. Almost. I personally loved everything until the end of the SS arc. Everything began to crumble after that. The characters seemed to have become caricatures of themselves, and I started not caring after about 300 chapters into the manga.

I can, but it's unlicensed, and if you're the type that doesn't like scanlations, then it'll be a hard sell unless you can read Japanese. There are tons of great shoujo manga out there, but they just don't get picked up. :(

If you can't read Japanese but can read French, Bitou Lollipop is probably my current favorite. I do also head the team that scanlates it to English, along with other favorites, if you are okay with that. You can pm me if you want the site.

10. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

You're not alone. Bleach annoys me (well, the anime. I can read the manga and enjoy it better than the anime). It's like Dragonball Z with swords. And by that, I mean it takes 5 or 6 episodes to progress the storyline a tiny bit. Comparing the strength between different people is ridiculous. And even the final battle against Aizen is rather lackluster (to me anyway) considering how long it took things to escalate to that point.

And even after the battle against Aizen, nothing is explained and more questions pop up. The storyline after Aizen is just as muddled.:mad:

If I watch bleach I have to watch it on youtube so I can skip to the fight scenes and watch them uninterrupted.:D

11. Lazy_Otaku271

Lazy_Otaku271 New Member

You know what else is ironic? You have a Bleach avatar.

Personally, I don't think Bleach is too bad. It may not be as good as all the fanboys think it is, but it's not bad. The fillers in the anime kinda go overboard, but the true storyline is pretty good.

12. katnip

katnip New Member

yaaa never really cared for bleach...or any anime shown on cartoon network during primetime... the ones they show on adult swim are a different story hahah [and i love how CN turns into adult swim after midnight^^]

13. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

Same here, watched one episode of bleach and was like....meh.
    Try Kimi Ni Todoke? It's a bit dramatic, but I do love it xD Clannad isn't a manga, but it's an Anime, very popular and it deserves the popularity. The plot and events moved me.
    About 1 week ago I finished watching Chrno Crusade...really sad. Sad animes get to me a lot. T_T

14. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

@spklvr:

Kimi Ni Todake might fit your needs. Although personally the girliness and sparkliness of it overwhelmed me to the point where I was literally suffocating, it's (supposedly) pretty warm and fuzzy. The only other shoujo I've watched is Special A, which is technically a comedy, but like 99% of everything I've ever watched, it kind of bored me.

Actually Clannad is classified as shounen or seinen... and it's still ultimately intended for a male audience despite everything else to the contrary - it is, after all, still a "harem" story, even if it's a comparatively great one at that. Still, as one of my (female) friends remarked, it's pretty shoujo-y regardless. It also gets insanely dramatic and emotional (for some) at times, though.

15. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

I second Kimi ni Todoke. I haven't actually read the manga, but the anime is really good and a friend of mine is reading the manga and loves it too. I also recommend Hana Kimi and possibly Kare Kano. Fruits Basket has its moments as well.

16. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

Distracting myself by my lack of Nookcolor download by posting in here...

I've read Fruits Basket, Godchild, Inu Yasha, Naruto, Absolute Boyfriend, Vampire Knight, Kami Kaze, Chobits, Love Hina, and I think a few others I can't recall off the top of my head. Most of it I gobbled up in Middle School since I wasn't allowed online to RP and I had to find something to do sneakily rather than listen in class, haha!

I gave up Naruto pretty early on, once they made Sasuke this bad guy thing. I jumped up and down for Sakura and Sasuke for the longest time, only to watch it all go up in smoke, so I quit that. Vampire Knight was pretty good, I just lost interest in it over time. Chobits and Godchild, however, were and still are really freaking good, both in their own polar opposites. Chobits gives you that happy ending where you can smile and feel good about the world, while Godchild just makes you see all the horror hiding in the shadows, and I simply love it.

17. Coreen Hipae

Coreen Hipae New Member

I am currently and totally addicted to Dog Days. Just so amazing.