Anime Recommendations

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by soujiroseta, Sep 19, 2008.

1. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

Had to comment on gunslinger girls. LOL little girls, BIG GUNS. Translates into a great Anime even if it was depressing.

2. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

i knew that was suspiscious face paint!!! i think we should make a RVB quote thread or something or make a real RVB RPG:p that'd be so cool but impossible.

3. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

An RvB RPG would be cool. It wouldn't even need a story just a bunch of crazy characters in temporary situations acting like silly nilly's XD.

4. soujiroseta

im sure if we got together some of the other RVB fans we could totally pull that off:D

5. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

Ok I am Weird so i will add mine

GetBackers

Gundam (Everything)

Kino's Journey

The Bastard(A really good movie)

Record of Lodoss war(both)

One Piece

Hikaru no Go

Prince of Tennis

DeathNote

6. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Um, I'm not sure if any of these have been mentioned, but I highly recommend:

Hellsing

Death Note

Trigun

Samurai Champloo

Black Lagoon

Gungrave

Then for movies both Vampire Hunter D films are worth a gander. I also loved the anime film Paprika. Paprika was a great flick.

7. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

souji, I'm a collector, so no 'tube for me. I'll take photos of my room, and then you'll understand. Unfortunately, Otogi Zoshi is licensed (and I'm a big supporter of licenses as my company deals with Viz), but pm me if you'd like to know how to bypass that, lol. >_>;

Also, Valiance mentioned an excellent anime: Gungrave. The scene with Brandon and Harry in the elevator was epic. I replayed the scene three times on my first viewing.

Definitely not one to miss, although I find the first episode spoils wayyyyy too much.

8. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Haha, yeah, that part was freakin' amazing, like the rest of the show.

The first episode also did show a little to much. lol

9. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

Ok I have to be the nay sayer, I did not like Gungrave. Maybe the first disc ruined it for me but i did not want to watch any more after that.

Catch the new Hellsing OVA's though. Now that is action packed

10. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I've been watching them. They're great. I love how they throw out Seras' bed and say "we can't have a vampire who doesn't sleep in a coffin" as an excuse XD.

The English dub is horribly annoying though (I'm betting that's just me). I get the idea of having british voice actors for british characters but my god it's a bit much for me and my American English :rolleyes:. The only voices I like are Alucard and Walter. Seras and Integra are horribly annoying (for some reason I think they've always screwed up the female characters in dubs...).

11. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

For anyone who is interested, I've been watching the newest Mobile Suit Gundam (Gundam 00) and I have to say it is amazing. it's possibly even better than Gundam Wing and Gundam SEED. The second season isn't out yet but if you have time, you can find Season 1 (25 eps) on youtube and i cannot recommend it enough.

Also, I just heard. They're making another Fullmetal Alchemist series!

12. soujiroseta

i watched a few episodes of Gungrave. not my style. More slasher and as a result i recommend Claymore. Although few have even heard of it. Its pretty awesome and some of the characters were good.

13. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

lordofhats, my brother's been trying to get me into Gundam. 00 is the one he's been hounding me to watch first. I've seen five minutes of the first epi, and though I can honestly say I don't dig the artwork at all (I never have for the Gundam franchise), the concept is interesting. It's licensed, I believe. I'll wait until it comes out on DVD.

I'm really old school, too. I love some of the stuff from the ' 80s, like Cat's Eye , lol, so I have seen Gundam Zeta (1985, I believe). Probably the only Gundam I enjoyed.

souji: Claymore suffers half way through. Though I'm an advocate for original endings, this one should have stuck more closely to the manga. Too bad Gungrave's not your cup of tea. I love a good zero to riches (in this case, small gang to organized crime) story, and Brandon and Harry's relationship is way up there.

I usually don't go for anime just for a specific type of action genre (doesn't matter if it's slasher or guns drawn story), as long as it tells me a good story.

14. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I rarely consider the artwork for Gundam better than average. The story line and the concept are more what draws me to the series (and I love giant robots :p). I will say Gundam 00 is a bit better than SEED thought, but still average. The last really good Animation I've seen in an Anime was in Code Geass, which has some really nice artwork and great style.

15. soujiroseta

im not sure exactly what you mean. how does the manga end?

16. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

The manga hasn't ended yet (Yes I've been reading it. I'm on scene Ten). I read up on the franchise in Wikipedia and apparently the Anime takes a turn in another direction half way through that results in an ending.

17. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

souji, claymore (manga) hasn't ended yet, so there was no proper ending for the anime. Thus, the director had to take liberties with the story so the manga could catch up, which ended in some disappointments (probably just mine) However, I'm sure with season 2, it will continue the proper story.

You should read the manga to see.

The anime as good up until about ep 21. :/

18. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

I have not seen an anime that differed from the manga have a better ending then the manga yet.

Trigun(ending was a let down and why did wolfwood have to die)

Getbackers(I think this one is still going strong but the anime ending just left you wanting more, I want to know whats in the uper echelons of the tower I also think the Manga is better)

Chrono Crusade(Maybe the manga ending was too dark for an anime..., nah it would have been awesome)

19. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

Actually, Planetes had a lot of changes from the manga (seriously noticeable ones), yet I loved Planetes just as much. I think the problem with Claymore was that it couldn't help going into the direction that it did because the manga hasn't ended yet. Like I said, season 2 will probably get right back on track. Also, I've noticed that most of those who haven't read the manga enjoy the anime more than those who have, so I guess, all in all, there shouldn't be much complaint over the variations in the anime.

- Getbackers should have ended with s1. It was great up until s 2. Well, I didn't mind the hotspring incident in s2 at all >_>;;;, but homophobic guys would probably be disturbed, lol.

- Trigun ended nicely, I think. The manga made me want to slit my jugulars.

- I didn't even bother with Chrono Crusade. Is it even worth it?

20. Synoran

Synoran New Member

I heard about the new FMA series.
    I nearly fell out of my seat with excietment!

As for recomendations, D.Gray-man and Katekyo Hitman Reborn, definately. Another great series, in my opinion, is Godchild. Basically a lot of gothic themes. Pretty good. Oh, and Speed Grapher. (Hmm, could you tell by my icon?)

I also love Death Note, FullMetal Alchemist, and... yes, folks, Bleach.

I've been contemplating seeing Code Geass and Fate/Stay Night. Are they worth it, to anyone who's seen either?

21. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Code Geass is possibly the best Anime I've seen since Fullmetal Alchemist. I saw the last episode earlier this week and I must say: "Damn. That was kick a$$." I find Anime's almost always start strong and end horribly, but Geass started a little weak and just became spectacular, with a truly incredible ending. I highly recommend it, always.

22. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

There are very few anime series that I really enjoy; most of the time the repetition of the tropes seems to be done almost mechanically, as though the style really IS the only important thing.

Trigun
    Still one of my favorites; I've always been a sucker for the "smarter than he looks" character archetype, and I dig the show's take on idealism, especially the unflinching admission that no, ordinary people really CAN'T live up to Vash's standards and survive, but they should try to anyway.

Read or Die
    Got a brief mention, so I'll just second it as having some of the awesomest powers ever, plus a scene which a friend of mine described as a "John Woo-gasm".

Slayers!
    I can't say why I like this series so much, but I just love it to pieces. Lina Inverse is one of my favorite characters, and I love the Lina/Gourry dynamic that builds over the three seasons. Mostly I enjoy how it turns a bunch of fantasy tropes on their heads, including making the angsty, woebegone scion-of-the-dark-lord-turned-good oh-a-monster-am-I character into the constant butt of every joke (while still giving him quite a lot of depth in himself.) (Also, Amelia and Prince Phil = win on almost every conceivable level.)

Witch Hunter Robin
    Damn, but the atmospherics are nice in this show. I love the whole ambiance of it, from the gritty greytone of every set-piece to the odd angles and frozen moments of visual poetry. I also dig the "twisted X-Men" vibe, and I always love a good pyromancer. It's a bit slow here and there, but overall a very well-crafted story. (And also a Vespa. Yay Vespa!)

23. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

Synoran:

Code Geass is all right. Might be orgasmic for some (some of my friends), might not be for some (me). I felt the story strayed too much at times and somehow, I ended up feeling cheated a little. ( I think the conflict between Britannia vs. Japan was too easily resolved at the end, actually).

It's one of those series that is possibly great/good first time around, but not worth a replay.

I would suggest watching X also (also a CLAMP project) brought to us by a Madhouse (pretty awesome studio). It's a bit older, but it benefits from very competent scriptwriting, the main characters and supporting cast are well-developed and interesting, battles are amazing. I would recommend watching SUBS instead of DUBS for this show. X is an older series, and while dubbing has improved in recent years, it was a bit of a disappointment here.

Fate/Stay Night: Pacing and story development was a big disappointment. A lot of side characters were left under-developed because they chose to focus (and then lather rinse repeat info) on the Holy War. The animation is great though, and character designs are gorgeous, which isn't a surprise since it's coming from Studio Deen, and while it suffered from a shortage of good writing throughout most of the series, the one thing it did right was how the story winded down to a very emotionally-charged ending.

So, really, whether you want to see it or not, it's your call.

You also mentioned Speed Grapher, which I had purchased (I got the thinpak) about two months ago. I wouldn't loosely recommend this series to just anybody, as there is quite a lot of graphic material in it. I had stalled the series after 3 epis. So far, what I'm seeing looks good. Animation falters a bit in ep 3 (which is really too early on in a series), but I dig the chemistry between Saiga and Kagura.

If you know what happens to them, spoil it for me? I could just watch it myself, but I'm the type that reads the ending first.

Just a reminder to those who might want to try ROD (Try it!), make sure you catch the OVA version, not the TV series, which is quite different. For one thing, there is no Yomiko Readman. Another, while the TV series starts off with a good start, after 2 episodes, nothing of consequence happens, and when it does, it falls flat.

souji, Aside from Otogi Zoshi, I have another anime recommendation for you, which is Scrapped Princess. While the main character can be a bit goofy and annoying at times, she still manages to come off likeable (if you watch her in Japanese), and there are some good swordfighting /magic using scenes, though there is also a mix of mecha in the series.