Anime

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Writer Ray, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

Has anyone been watching Death Parade? The last two episodes absolutely blew me away. I've never been affected so much by the end of an anime since the last episode of Death Note.

2. RachHP

RachHP Senior Member

Anyone watched Date Alive before? Somehow, I managed to watch both seasons thinking at any moment a more serious plot would develop. Alas, they really did save the day by smooching.
    Then again, at least I wasn't emotionally bludgeoned to death at the end of the series (I'm looking at you, Angel beats).

3. Wrizzy

Wrizzy Member

Haha, I saw both those. Man, I've seen so much anime that they all start blurring together. :ohno: The Angel Beats intro song was so great, though. It kills me each time I hear it.

RachHP likes this.
  4. Wrizzy

Wrizzy Member

So fun to have an anime section on the site. I don't get to talk anime with anyone, unless I wrangle someone into watching it with me. I don't have any friends or family who like anime. Even then, they tend to tune out, haha.

Here's a list of the shows I've loved, or have seen fairly recent. (Anime is one of the only things I watch on TV. I'm not a TV watcher.)

Samurai 7
    Spice and Wolf
    School Rumble
    Attack on Titan
    Full Metal Alchemist (first one)
    Stein’s Gate
    Nisekoi
    Okami-San and Her Seven Companions
    Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (Just watched. Though it ended abruptly...)
    Angel Beats
    XXXholic
    Anohana
    Eureeka 7
    Chobits
    Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple (Wasn’t necessarily my first pick.)
    Usagi Drop (Lets make this clear—this was like a train wreck. I had the thought of what it might end up being, but thought, ‘no way’. But, it did. It went there.
    Darker Than Black
    Fruits Basket
    High School Host Club (Even for all the stereotypes, I still can’t help but laugh.)
    Jellyfish Princess (Some of these I watch, just because I love the manga. The manga's art is unique for a mangaka. I also really wish there was an anime for the manga, 'Dengeki Daisy'.)
    Durarara
    Assasination Classroom
    Yona of the Dawn (It was refreshing to find that the heroine wasn't a complete basketcase.)
    Captain Harlock (the new digital movie)
    Hal (Another movie. Unexpected. Oh the feels!)
    No. 6 (Why did it have to be so short?!)
    Sword Art Online
    Death Parade (Love! So interesting...yet creepy.)

This probably belongs in the gaming forum, but I really liked the ‘Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World’ story line.

Basically, I like a little of everything. Anything psychological, or having depth will get me, though.

5. LittleHidingOwl

LittleHidingOwl New Member

Eeee, anime! I've been an anime fan since middle school, and lately I've been trying to re-ignite my passion for it since my "otaku" days were also some of my most creative.

And what better way to find your love of anime than to watch ALL 200 EPISODES OF SAILOR MOON. I had a sad childhood and did not grow up watching it, so it's all new to me. And boy was it great. I'm just so in love with how dedicated it is to messages that are usually heartless after-school fare (the power of love, friendship, pacifism wow the pacifism in that finale. I cheered because Sailor Moon had a huge sword, how could this not turn into something awesome? And it was.... but not because there was a big fight.)

Next is Yuri Kuma. The one with alien bear lesbians. I don't know, it's Ikuhara, man.

6. Rhys

Rhys Member

I love anime; although I don't think I've seen enough of it yet to consider myself an expert on them.

Sometimes anime is ridiculously childish, sometimes it's ridiculously dark, but it's littered with amazing story arcs and genuinely emotional scenes which keep me hooked.

Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away are both fantastic anime films that I love. Seriously, if anyone hasn't seen these movies, go and do it. Now. I'll wait.

Deathnote was pretty good too, if you want something dark.

I used to watch Pokemon when I was younger but I grew out of it a long time ago; still love the games but can't stand the show anymore.

I'm in the process of watching some things now: One Piece (only about 60 episodes in), Dragonball Z Kai (wanted to rewatch DBZ and couldn't be bothered to sit through the original, Kai is much more fast paced and eliminates a lot of filler) - while they can be a tad childish at times, the uncensored versions are actually pretty good and some of the story arcs (like Nami's in One Piece) have been great.

I've also watched a little of Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist but stopped because I don't want to follow too many animes at one time and get lost however they are on my list.

Also on my anime watching list is Attack on Titan which I've heard a lot of good things about.

7. Mocheo Timo

Mocheo Timo Senior Member

I watched Death Parade more or less thanks to you, and I simply loved it! I had watched a really really good anime before it so I didn't think Death Parade would make so much of an impression on me. Well it did! I'm glad you recommended it.

I watched Spirited Away but not Howl's Moving Castle. Okay, done. On my list of movies to watch. :)

If you're only on episode 60 of One Piece you haven't seen anything. Drop everything else for now and watch it. If you reach the Skypia Arc and find yourself stuck, skip it, because what comes after it is WAY better.
    However, if One Piece becomes overly childish to you (which it has to me recently), I can recommend you other animes. :D

8. nrextakemi

nrextakemi Member

I'm really enjoying Show by Rock right now.

9. Rhys

Rhys Member

Howl's Moving Castle is made by the same guy that made Spirited Away, I believe. I can't decide which one I like best because both films are so great.

And I know, there's a lot more of One Piece to go! I'm trying my best to get through it... there's just so many episodes haha! And there's already been an arc I struggled to get through but then others were superb, so it all evens itself out I guess.

10. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

@Mocheo Timo , so glad you enjoyed Death Parade! I love the characters and the setting. Only thing is now I've finished watching it I need to watch a new one to fill the void .

11. Mocheo Timo

I always have the next anime I'm going to watch planned out in order to avoid this void experience. It still doesn't keep me from staring into a wall for at least 1/2 an hour when I finish a really good anime, but it saves me from those feelings of emptiness.

I suggest picking a random anime from those recommended by other people. @Wrizzy gave some pretty good recommendations, I didn't watch all of them, but it seems like a very fine list.

I also recommend Your Lie in April. I've finished it recently, and now I'm recommending it to all my friends. If you do choose that one, beware of feels. It crushed my heart, then re-pieced it together about a million times.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    Shbooblie likes this.
  12. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

They were, by the legendary Hayao Miyazaki from Studio Gibhli :) The music is also always by the same composer, Joe Hisaishi. Absolutely beautiful stuff.

The true classics though are Totoro, Laputa, and Naussica: Valley of the Wind. The latter two remain my favourites. I also have a soft spot for his Whisper of the Heart, which isn't fantasy and follows a 12-year-old girl who strives to reach her dream of becoming a writer. Very, very sweet story.

Mononoke Hime is a pretty unusual and dark one, also by Miyazaki. Tonnes of Japanese mythology in this one, truly bizarre, and it took me a few goes to get into it but I liked it in the end :)

Nothing quite beats Laputa for me though :love: The English title is Castle in the Sky.

Be warned - DON'T watch the dubs. The English dubs for Laputa and Nausicca is utterly terrible. The dub not only adds unnecessary dialogue, but it also changes the music. (Why!? Why would you change the frigging music!?)

@LittleHidingOwl - my goodness you watched the entirety of Sailor Moon!? Didn't you get bored by the time you got to Super S? :nosleep:The characters in Sailor Moon had so much potential and the author just wasted it all focusing only on Usagi... :supermad:I do still love the film from Sailor Moon R though with the alien.

Incidentally, since I watched Sailor Moon as a child in HK, I have most of the toys and about 200 Sailor Moon cards, and between my sister and I, we have all 4 watercolour picture books in manga style. We have the manga in Chinese translation - my sister has all the volumes lol. I think of these are a little like relics that I could probably sell for pretty good money :supergrin: I used to wear Luna P around with me - it was being sold as a little girl's "handbag" of sorts.

Speaking of toys, I also have a gigantic Totoro rucksack (the white one) - cutest thing ever!

13. Lancie

Lancie Senior Member

My Fiance actually lost interest in Hunter x Hunter, which surprised me because he was binge watching it. He's now driving me mad with One Piece. We started Fairy Tail together though and are both enjoying that one.

I don't know how much Sailor Moon I watched. They were on Fox Kids, which I don't think even exists anymore, and they only played up to the whole thing with the little girl being Serena's future daughter? Or something like that. It's been a while!!

Totoro rucksack sounds amazing @Mckk :D I have a pikachu onesie which appears on cold nights.

Mckk likes this.
  14. Razet Elwood

Razet Elwood Active Member

I find Your Lie in April to be one of the best anime ever made along with Attack on Titan and these are now my favorite ! I have gotten inspiration watching Inuyasha as a kid! I am dying to see Dengeki Daisy an Anime this manga is one of the best i have seen so far! it is pretty funny and despite the older guy falling for the young girl. The author makes it very innocence and touching instead of perverted and gross.

15. Razet Elwood

Fairy Tail is hilarious!

16. Razet Elwood

my favorite movie would have to be Princess Mononoke !

17. Mocheo Timo

I started reading Dengeki Daisy, then I dropped it for some reason (I'm more of an anime person).
    Is it really that good so far? I mean, I stopped on chapter 4.
    @Razet Elwood , why else would you say it's good?
    (You seem really into it, given it's on your profile picture)

18. Razet Elwood

it is partly the art! However, to me it just grabbed me. The girl reminds me of myself in a way. She is a little childish and can appear weak at times however she has a backbone. The guy just makes me laugh and he reminds me of my boyfriend in a way. I don't want to spoil it at all. It is one of the only manga that i still read too. I will spoil nothing and if you feel like picking it back up. Go ahead. If its not your cup of tea. It's ok. Vampire Knight was great great art great everything UNTIL I FOUND OUT WHAT I FOUND OUT like EWWWWW so i just couldn't get back into it very much after that....i think that is what made me stop reading manga a lot i devastated by that big reveal

19. Razet Elwood

i was* devastated

20. Mckk

Gah Fox Kids' dub of Sailor Moon was truly awful too. You know they changed the gender of one of the first villains? In the very first season, there're these 4 guys in grey suits right who work for Queen Beryl. The ponytail guy with the rose petals and the guy with the long white hair - Fox Kids changed the ponytail guy into a girl.

I can't find an image of the white totoro rucksack I had - but I did find the one my sister has! Here:

[​IMG]

21. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

Currently watching Gundam Wing

22. LittleHidingOwl

LittleHidingOwl New Member

Not at all! I think I reveled in the filler and goofiness since I was in the final stretch of college when I started. I needed a good dose of innocence like that bad. Pus all the girls are cute, and for some reason I adored watching the transformation/attack sequences over and over (and over and over....). I dunno, I suppose it was relaxing.

Dude, you totally could. There are fanatical collectors out there.

I watched it all in Japanese, but what I've seen of the dub is comedy gold. I think I can only take that much cheese in small doses, though. The little girl being her future daughter is an original plot point, though! It makes sense in context. Apparently it's even more egregious in the manga when yet ANOTHER little girl shows up and is Usagi (Serena)? I don't know, I haven't read the manga, but it got so ridiculous because the kid is two and wandering around the city on her own a lot.

23. Mckk

@LittleHidingOwl - lol comedy gold is a very apt term for the dub. It's true Sailor Moon's very innocent and I also adored the attacks and transformation sequences!

That second girl who's supposed to be Usagi - are you referring to Sailor Chibi Chibi Moon? Then there was a Sailor Colossal or something when Galaxy was defeated wasn't there? I read the manga for that last season and it made zero ounce of sense lol.

I think they took the resurrection stuff way too far - death had no consequences! That first season was heartbreaking and done extremely well, even when I rewatch those last 2 episodes now as an adult, but afterwards the impact was kinda gone.

24. Lancie

Lancie Senior Member

I had no idea it was dubbed so badly, it could be quit cheesey at times. I've never actually seen any of it in Japanese, although I did see a clip of the live action version on youtube- that was hilllaaaarious!!

25. animenagai

animenagai Member

I watched Princess Kaguya the other day (also from Ghibli). It was beautiful. Cried like a little bitch :cry: