Anime

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Writer Ray, Jan 8, 2015.

1. nrextakemi

nrextakemi Member

Right, right? Same in Dragonball Z. These 90's people liked to overuse resurrection WAY to much. Even as a kid I realized that, since nothing could excite me that much as Frieza and Cell sagas did. But then, this was the highlight of the franchise.

Speaking of DB.
    Yesterday I watched the original Dragonball while tripping balls on DXM

It was the most beautiful thing I have seen in my life. Seriously.

2. Saralyn

Saralyn New Member

Hey, guys. I'm new here but would like to share my anime list with you all. This is all the anime I can remember watching since I was a kid. Some of them I didn't like so much. I'm more into darker anime.
    1. · Akame Ga Kill
    2. · Angel Beats
    3. · Another
    4. · Attack on Titan
    5. · Basilisk
    6. · Black Butler
    7. · Blood - C
    8. · Blood+
    9. · Blue Exorcist
    10. · Cannan
    11. · Chobits
    12. · Clannad
    13. · Claymore
    14. · Coppelion
    15. · Corpse Party: Tortured Souls
    16. · Corpse Princess
    17. · Cowboy Bebop
    18. · D Gray-man
    19. · Death Parade
    20. · Dragon Ball GT
    21. · Dragon Ball Z
    22. · Elfen Lied
    23. · Full Metal Alchemist
    24. · Gravitation
    25. · High School of the Dead
    26. · Inuyasha
    27. · K
    28. · Madoku Magica
    29. · Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist
    30. · Neon Genesis Evangelion
    31. · Noragami
    32. · Ouran High school Host Club
    33. · Outlaw Star
    34. · Pandora Hearts
    35. · Parasyte
    36. · Rosario+Vampire
    37. · Rurouni Kenshin
    38. · Samurai Champloo
    39. · Samurai 7
    40. · Soul Eater
    41. · Sword Art Online
    42. · The Future Diary
    43. · Tokyo Ghoul
    44. · Trigun
    45. · Trinity Blood
    46. · Vampire Knight
    47. · Wolf's Rain
    48. · Yu-Gi-Oh (First Gen)
    49. · Yu-Yu Hakusho
    50. · Zoids: Chaotic Century

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh likes this.
  3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Totally. Although, the one time I wish the Japanese would utilise their love of resurrection was in Death Note - I didn't care if it made sense. I just wanted it to happen!

I'm surprised that no one seems to have mentioned Code Geass? Thought it has quite a following too, no?

And anyone here watched Ranma? :D

4. nrextakemi

nrextakemi Member

Oh yes, Code Geass! Shit was crazy, but so-much-fun!
    ...and btw, Lelouch is alive.

5. Mckk

I know :p but shouldn't you put that in spoiler tags? You're on a thread of anime fans and there're probably those who want to watch it. Don't spoil it for the others.

It got a bit absurd for me at the end, which ruined it a little, to be honest. But I did love 2/3rds of the entire thing (both seasons together) :) Lelouch was a very interesting character and way handsomer and more charismatic than Suzaku!

6. LittleHidingOwl

LittleHidingOwl New Member

@Saralyn I spy Black Butler! Have you read the manga? Especially recent chapters? Do you like the Reapers? Grell is my everything.

@Mckk Yeeeah, that took a lot of suspense out of everything. Everything went to HELL at the end and I was mostly only sad because I was wrongfully mad at Mamoru for not writing back.I know it's the epitome of a feel-good show and all, but they sure did raise the stakes for no real reason when we know no one but the villains will actually die.

Mckk likes this.
  7. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

I read the synopsis for Your Lie in April and I'm definitely intrigued. Thanks @Mocheo Timo, I think I've found my next series to watch :)

8. Wrizzy

Wrizzy Member

I think I might have to try Your Lie in April as well...maybe. Been eyeing it for awhile, ending up skipping it for other shows--just the premise already has the feels going;It hits so close to home, I was scared to go there.

Still scared to go there. :ohno:

9. Mocheo Timo

Mocheo Timo Senior Member

I'm glad. This thread is coming in handier than I thought. :D
    I'm always open to give and to receive any other anime suggestions.

Yes it does give this kind of feeling. Go there, though. Once you start watching it, you'll watch it until the end.

Wrizzy and Shbooblie like this.
  10. Mckk

This is turning out to be a pretty cool thread for anime lovers, so I've stickied it :-D

Wrizzy, KaTrian, Mocheo Timo and 2 others like this.
  11. Mocheo Timo

I don't think I ever watched anything like Durarara!
    I've been told Baccano! is similar, I can't say much because I haven't watched it, either way it's directed by the same author.
    You can't really take me seriously when I say an anime is epic, but, this anime is epic!

Firstly, it has a very original way of building up a plot.
    It runs away from the usual: a main character seeks to overcome a problem, becomes stronger, finds friends, overcomes the problem.
    In Durarara to begin with, you ask yourself: who is the main character?
    At the same time, there is no clear "problem" which the main character(s) is/are seeking to overcome.
    In fact the anime places every single character as an unknown figure who only reveals his/her true colors as the plot develops.
    The characters are connected with each other in different ways, and heck, their background stories are simply amazing.
    It's hard to watch it without loving at least 1 of the characters in the end.

Either way, the anime has really caught my appreciation through its second season (Durarara! x2).
    Because the story ends in season 1, the plot had to continue by adding new characters.
    Even so, the second season managed to get higher ratings than the first.
    Something Sword Art Online, in a very similar scenario, completely failed to achieve.
    Now, I am recommending the anime (because it's epic), but be warned:
    The first part of season 2 ends in a massive cliff-hanger. It might be too much to bear.
    Thankfully, new episodes come out this month, so the wait will finally be over.

Wrizzy likes this.
  12. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Their in the same universe just in radically different places, time periods, characters and not a lot overlap.

I've read all the novels of both series (by way of translations) and seen the anime of both. Anyway Ryogho Narita is the author of both series.....he has written two other works set in the same canon though. But like I said.

No overlap really (besides some references)

Anyway

Baccano is my personal favorite his work.

Durarara is great though and its my third favorite work of his, with of course Shizuo being my favorite character (as he's everybody's)

Anyway YEAH!

Be sure to check out Baccano!

Wrizzy likes this.
  13. Wrizzy

Wrizzy Member

Yes, Durarara! is unique. :D Even the name is. It essentially means 'vroom', right?

Honestly, anything that keeps me guessing has a place in my attention span. There are very few movies, books or animes that I haven't predicted an accurate outcome fairly early.

DRRR! has only been partially predictable one time, and that's the end of season one, dealing with Masaomi's storyline.

I'm typically pretty selective about anime's with violence--noting whether the actions taken seem justified in a plot sense, or if the gore presented is for entertainment value. DRRR! is less violent and gory than some other recent anime's, but at first some of the aspects turned me off. When I realized the whole thing could be taken in a symbolic sense, it was fine for me. (I know it really doesn't have much that isn't comical, absurd violence, but I'm just sensitive.)"

Anyways, it's the first show that has really kept me guessing in a long time. And those tangled plots that twist around through multiple episodes, all over the place...wow. I've got an anime inflicted version of whiplash, lol! It's like the main theme is, "Let's see how random we can go, then weave it all together...somehow." Just when I have that 'Aha!' about where the plot was going, more variables are thrown in. Lol, it's awesome.

Mocheo Timo likes this.
  14. Wrizzy

Wrizzy Member

Just finished with all recent episodes of My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU. I thought it was just gonna be a funny show. Very surprised. It's going on my list of favorites, and Hikigaya as a favorite, original MC. :agreed:

15. Mocheo Timo

Yeah, Baccano was already in my list of anime to watch.
    I can get a bit how it might be from Durarara!, and it does look amazing!
    I will certainly watch it.
    I admit it's hard not to like Shizuo (he's my favorite too),
    although some people take a very strong liking to Izaya (creepy as he is and all).

Someone told me it means 'vroom' too.
    But once I've read that it actually is the sound of a bunch of papers being flipped.
    According to this source, the author had no clue what to name his work, so he was inspired by the sound of his manga papers being flipped as he looked through his work.
    I don't really know.
    Either way the name is pretty unique, and it sounds more like a motor rumbling than papers:
    Think about it -Dyurarararararararararararararara....

16. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

@Mocheo Timo: The name is actually 'cause when Narita showed a draft of his novel, the editor asked what was the name, something Narita hadn't thought yet and he mumbled "Du...durarara?"... Apparently it worked.

On a side note, if ya liked Durarara you'll like Baccano. Is better than DRRR imo. Regardless, if you like 'em you should read the novels. Shit gets real crazy.

Narita's charm is in his randomness I think

17. Mocheo Timo

It's a very original name, whichever way you look at it. :rofl:

Do you know if the novel is ahead of the anime? I mean, if it has spoilers for Durarara x2. Because that's usually the reason why I don't read the novels or the manga, so that I don't spoil the story in the anime.

18. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

Let's see, anime has animated 6 novels so far and is gonna animate the 7th now.
    Durarara has a total of 13 novels.
    Then it come Durarara SH

19. Mocheo Timo

Great to hear that! So, they still have a long way to go (if they do animate all the novels).
    Subarashi! :D

20. Frazen

Frazen Member

Have any of you watched Mouryou no hako? It's awesome! The genre is seinen so it is aimed at older people... a very deep and complicated detective story.

21. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

That sounds really interesting, I'll have to check that one out too. Has anybody been watching Gangsta? I'm really loving that at the minute. Also Himouto! Umaru-chan really cracks me up, it's so funny.

22. Sifunkle

Sifunkle Dis Member

Ooh, I’ve watched a fair bit of anime. It’s a good time-passer during slumps. IMO it’s a medium of extremes: there’s a lot of drivel, but the rare gems really shine. I usually stick to shorter series and avoid anything that smells like a merchandising excuse. Sorry for the lengthy list, but here are my recommendations (most already mentioned by others):

---
    Puella Magi Madoka Magika – Great artwork: love the periodic “acid-trip collages”. Possibly the best genre deconstruction ever, complete with manipulation of the show’s format as the story progresses. Watch at least 3 episodes before judging.

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni – A bit gimmicky, but love how seamlessly it goes from cutesy fun to utter horror. Really unsettling atmosphere. Surprisingly intricate plot with clues at just the right rate & subtlety. (Didn’t care for Umineko.)

Steins;Gate – Great blend of zany & serious, romance & time-travel. I felt for the characters by the end (rare for me)!

Neon Genesis Evangelion – Brutal deconstruction of the “giant mech” genre with deep psychological exploration.

Spice and Wolf – Unique fantasy (plots mostly concern trade economics!), but the rapport between the MCs is the draw.

Eden of the East – One of the most intriguing beginnings of any story I’ve encountered. Impressive art. Charismatic characters. Nicely understated romance alongside the conspiracy-theory main plot.

Miyazaki/Ghibli films – If you like these, Mushishi deals with similar folklore, quite beautifully.

Perfect Blue – Psychological horror film. Easy to feel the MC’s confusion and paranoia.

Psycho-Pass – Dystopian thriller by the Madoka writer. Similar premise to Minority Report.

Cowboy Bebop – Effective fusion of space opera (...sort of) and jazz. Samurai Champloo is a spiritual successor, mixing samurai with hip-hop. Both are action romps with memorable characters.

Baccano! – Some of the weirdest character names I’ve ever come across... but madcap action fun (gets quite violent). I’m impressed by how it copes without a clear MC in its large cast.

Attack on Titan – Solid fantasy action, despite the hype.

Rurouni Kenshin – Historical samurai fiction with many characters based on real people. Kenshin’s my favourite “nonlethal badass” in fiction. The manga is better (great artwork): no filler episodes.

Toradora! – A cute take on the hot-and-cold teen romance thing.

Kids on the Slope – Nice setting and character interactions, revolving around music (specifically jazz).

[I agree that Death Note started great but spectacularly fell apart half-way. Similarly, Monster showed lots of promise – great atmosphere and so realistic – but got very slow and the conclusion disappointed when it finally arrived.]
    ---

Would love to hear if others have recommendations for me based on the above :)

Mocheo Timo likes this.
  23. Hell North

Hell North New Member

Heh. Anime thread. I thinks it's awesome they pop up in almost every forum by now :D

So, let's get me started.
    There are a lot of Anime I have watched, and some got me so into them that I rushed through the manga as well. Since I don't have the time (or energy, for the matter), I'll just go with some of my favourites.

a) One Piece
    It's just classic. Though I just started watching it last year, I managed to get through all the over 700 episodes released right now and the manga. I just like how the whole thing developed and the characters change. And I admit, when I was watching the Marineford Arc, I cried like a baby.

b) Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
    That one doesn't get nearly enough credit. Sure, especially at the beginning, it's just ridiculous with the mafia theme and the real thing doesn't get started until episode 20. But after that? Awesome. It's just a combination of almost every genre. Slice of Life, Scifi, Supernatrual, Comedy, Drama, Time Travel, Action. And I personally think it's sad that the last part of the manga wasn't included in the anime, because the last two Arcs toped the one before.

c) Durarara!
    Pretty confusing at the beginning, but also refreshing, since the plot is shifting with every character that get's into focus. And I can't wait for the next season.

d) Kuroshitsuji
    Back Butler is just fabulous. Set in the 19th century in England, it takes up events of that time (like the Jack The Ripper Case from 1888) and the characters are amazing. Well, most of them, anyway. But it is really fun to watch and read.

e) K-Project
    Here I was just as mystified as Durarara!, but the more the whole plot escalates, the more you understand about the story. I'm so happy that the second season is airy right now and that there was a movie to it, since I really hated the end of season one. That aside, this anime has an amazing animation.

f) Haikyuu!!
    An anime about volleyball. It doesn't stand out as much as Kuroko no Basket, but I think it is more funny and just as exciting (even if you have no real interest in the sport, like me). It's just enjoyable.

I think I'll stop there for now :D:D

24. Iced Coffe

Iced Coffe New Member

Looks like I'm a "little" bit late to the party... ^^
    But I'll list my favourites anyway!

-Cowboy Bebop
    Just a genre for itself.

-JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
    Epic fights, like the humor.
    Loads of references to rock bands.

-Space Dandy
    Laughed my way through this one.
    Got emotional at times.
    Love the ending.

-Monogatari Series
    Interesting way to tell the story.
    It's different from everything I've seen so far.

-Yondemasu yo Azazel-san
    Love the amount of gore.
    Had me laughing constantly.

-Clannad / Clannad After Story
    Had me laughing and crying at the same time.
    Just... so sad... USHIO, NOOOO!
    *ahem*

-One Punch Man
    Just funny to see every single superhero failing to defeat a villain and then Saitama passing by and wreck him in one punch.

-Beelzebub
    An anime featuring a naked demon baby piggy-back riding the strongest delinquent in school.
    Funny as hell with epic fights.

25. David Tice

David Tice Member

I'm in my late 20's and not ashamed to say that I LOVE anime with a passion. All my friends would and still make fun of me because Im African American and I guess it isn't cool for blacks to like anime =/ but I love it. I grew up anxiously awaiting my Shonen Jump magazine every month in the mail lol.

Im more of an action type of guy: Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, Naruto, Bleach, Flame Of Recca, Samurai Champloo, One Piece and of course Dragonball Z. Classic stuff.

But then there are the more realistic shows like Death Note that I enjoy too. Anime makes me smile...

Shbooblie and Mocheo Timo like this.