1. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady New Member

another introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CrazySnakeLady, Mar 30, 2009.

Ok peeps!

Hello to everyone out there!
    I joined this forum in attempt to better my writing abilities, but I want to warn you all: I am not the best writer. Also, I don't ever plan to be the best writer or to ever publish a book or anything. My most comfortable form of expression is through art, but for some time now, about ten years to be exact, I have some major story ideas I am trying to get down. I am not planning to really do anything with them other than to feel like I finally accomplished writing them down- and having them written a bit better then where I am at now. I am hoping that through exploring these forums, I can have a better understanding of- well, everything needed to better my writing abilities. I have wondered through some posts already, and I really dig the feedback and honesty I see in replies.

I will be reviewing others stuff, but I just fear I won't be much help. Believe me, when I say I am a beginner writer, I mean beginner. I went to college and all, but nothing ever more than the mandatory english/writing classes. I really have a hard time picking up my own mistakes and bettering my sentences and all, I hope I can provide some constructive criticism to this forum. I had joined a writing forum several years ago, and I did attempt to crit works of others who helped me out, but man, I really couldn't pick anything out! I cannot promise the best crits or to be the best of help, but I can promise to try my best at it.

I will be checking out the help forums mostly first to try to learn a few things first before attempting to help others with their writings ( and to help myself with some of mine). I really consider myself an extreme novice, and I am fine with that.

So, I hope you all have room for a writing idiot on board here. It definatly is better to read then write since I can read books better than I can try to write stuff...LOL!

Anyways, I hope to enjoy learning stuff from you all here and meeting you all!!

:D
    Janet

2. Just a small smackerel

Just a small smackerel New Member

Don't call yourself an idiot, silly!

-slapsback-

Welcome to WF, and don't worry about being a "novice." Most of us on here are still at our beginning stages, or at least I know that I am.

We're here to help, and even if you say you aren't good at reviewing other's works, it really does help you have a better eye on what mistakes you should be looking for in your own writing.

As I've been told, have some confidence in your writing. Even if you are doing it for fun, you should be proud of your work. :love:

I hope to see you around!

3. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady New Member

Ok, first thing learned: Do not call myself an idiot... Ok, got that!

Yay First lesson learned! I am off to a good start!

I agree with having confidence. I need more of that in my writing. I know I have improved from before, I am just my own worst critic! I do feel better about my writing ability, I just know i need more work.

Thankyou for the warm welcome. I am going to putz around and get some online reading done until my eyes hurt and can no longer do so.

:D

4. Just a small smackerel

Just a small smackerel New Member

Baby steps, baby steps. x3

You're very welcome. I understand what it can be like being your own worst critic, never satisfied with you work, but hopefully with time you will come to find yourself proud of the words that flow from your mind and onto a page/document.

:3

Have fun with your readings.

5. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

welcome, don't worry about your work! I am learning the hard way of what not to do and thanks to this forum I found out that I got a ball rolling without doing the complete work. I have read others work and, like you, unable to pick out mistakes. I guess that is why we are all here.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Janet, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Reviewing is an essential writing skill. By dissecting other people's writing, finding the weaker poiunts, and thinking of was to strengthen them, you learn to do the same with your own writing.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

7. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

Hey Janet...Welcome to WF...hope to see you around.

8. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

Hi and welcome! :)

9. scribble_123

scribble_123 New Member

Heyy

Welcome

I'm new too :D

10. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

scribble 123 welcome what kind of writing do you do?

11. scribble_123

scribble_123 New Member

Not sure really, experimenting at the moment with a book im writing called 'Impression'. Teenage book with a love story to it. I'm going to post a few bits of it on here, just to see what people think and see if I can pick up some help and tips, novice writer here =D

12. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

Who's not a novice in here. Why are you calling it Impressions? What does you teenage love story revolve around? Are you a teen your self?

13. scribble_123

scribble_123 New Member

Called Impression because throughout the book she has impressions made on her, through friends, family, life and so on, I thought it was a catchy title and fits well into the book
    The book i based around a girl who is struggling through her life, shes anorexic and is at a pretty low point, her parents split up quite early on too. She has a few friends, who understand her pain, and they spend a lot of time together. She then gets caught stealing, collapses outside the shop and wakes up to the guy (who she ends up with). And It kind of progresses on from there, slowly they get to know each other, and he helps her get her life back. It's a hard book to explain and that was a very short summary, it has many twists and turns.
    I am a teen myself indeed, 16 years old.