antagonist 'motiveless malignancy'

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Sumarian, Feb 21, 2015.

?

should my antagonist have an awareness of his malignancy?

1. He should think he is doing the right thing (maybe he is corrupted or delluded)

78.6%
  2. He should know he is doing wrong but shouldn't care (general lack of morality)

21.4%
  1. Skaruts

Skaruts Member

You're both right and wrong. :) I should've given it more thought. It's not the alignments themselves, but what they represent. Their descriptions and whatever examples one might come up with that fit those alignments can be inspiring. I remember, when playing Baldur's Gate, one of the alignments being exemplified with "a greedy merchant who..." I can't remember the rest. But I remember thinking such a merchant would be an interesting personality to write about.

The part where you're wrong is that Chaotic Evil doesn't mean the devil himself in the flesh. A character can do good despite being of that alignment. The article uses Riddick as an example.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  2. Auratus

Auratus Member

If character can do good, I wouldn't call them "Evil" unless he was actually evil for much of the story, and I advise you that Wikipedia isn't exactly go-to site for fiction "tropes" . Try reading TV tropes instead; If you are like me then you will stick with this site for a good portion of your life :)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChaoticEvil

3. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

I agree. The alignment system is designed to anticipate how a character will react in the situations the DM proposes, not how they will react to a plot that you design. Unless you're writing with a DM who will tell you, "He's lawful good, he can't kill that child," the system is pretty much useless to you.