1. Pandora.Writing

Pandora.Writing New Member

Any hunters here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pandora.Writing, Sep 19, 2010.

I'm just curious as to whether anyone here goes hunting at all. I was thinking about learning how to shoot and getting some access to properties for rabbit and fox shooting. I might even turn it into a business one day.

If you do hunt, what have your experiences been like? Do you shoot pest animals or other game like deer, ducks or even big game species?

2. SashaMerideth

SashaMerideth New Member

My dad used to hunt, but he doesn't any more. Does that count?

3. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Why don't you find a more appropriate website to talking about hunting?

1 person likes this.
  4. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Edit - Must admit, not a great title to open with. Could have worded it a little better.

Ash, be open minded my love. I hate hunting, in terms of say what we have seen with our African contentment and many other sad, sad occurrences. But not all is completely stereotypical.

Let us not judge the like a certain ex member did, whom posted photos of his arsenal

But I understand this must be kept absolutely clean and decent, with no disrespect to those who love and Cherish animals. But we are also writers, we can be opened minded surely?

My uncle culls kangaroos in a few private properties in the Outback. Having 300,000,000 kangaroo's eating a land that is almost dead is a must. I must say, it freaked me at first, when i saw it, but he, like the others are professional hunters and pretty much always have clean shots and are always respectful to federal laws and indigenous treaties.

Unlike what i have seen of those Canadians who club seals to death. Maybe this thread could enlighten me, and maybe tell me that the mentioned is only a myth and that it is ...not as bad as i have seen.

I have also bared witness to Aboriginal tribes as they Hunt. They must hunt, or they have no trade. If they have no trade, they have no money, or food and they perish or worse....become civilised in white culture, which still kills them.

I also know of another member who hunts, but only a buck or two, which they use for meat in the winter, and the skins. I also believe they trade the rest (Bones, organs) to a local indian tribe for berrial. I may not be 100% correct on theat, but it's what i'm sure i heard. I respect that, because i know they respect the animal and the meals of proper hunting. (Ala killing more than is needed).

This said, i have full respect for those who are not into this act. We live in a world of confusion (Not these people, but society in general). The world is no longer seperate, but mixed and some practices clearly entangle with other peoples belief. The old world and the new world. neither is wrong for where we stand today (If we are talking about hunting in terms of the above and not those who are in it for ones own profit)

Edit - I often go Fishing, which must be classifed as a form of hunting.

We have VERY strict restrictions on what size must be kept and how many. (To protect the species.)

I saw a shocking sight a few years ago, where someone caught a 50cm Flathead and kept it. This was sad, because its a known fact, that the big ones are females and they help populate further fisheries. There are not many "Big ones" out there as there used to be. She would have been a decade old easy. And also, it may be secondary, but she would have tasted like a tyre. Me and some others saw this and pleased for her release, but there are not rules forcing them to let go, only to think about it. :(

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Let's not turn this into a debate about whether hunting is ethical.

Ashleigh: This is the Lounge, and as long as this doesn't become a heated debate, I don't see a problem with the topic.

All: I WILL be watching this thread closely. Keep it civil, and respectful toward those who are opposed to hunting.

6. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Why are you assuming I'm just being contrary? This is a writing website; I just wondered why on earth a hunting enthusiast would join a writing site, just to immediately talk about hunting. It's not like there aren't enough other websites about it.

I wasn't trying to be offensive. Sorry!

7. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    My whole family hunts. I see nothing wrong with it. So an animal dies. We eat it and maybe sell the other parts such as skin for consumption elsewhere as various products. We even have a bear-skin rug made from a bear a family member killed while bow-hunting.

Personally, I don't hunt. But I would love to learn.

8. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

In the region where I originate from, just a few generations ago, people used to hunt llama, deer, badgers, rabbits and birds; even my grandfather still had these old rifles from his youth. but perhaps from deforestation, overhunting or a combination of both, most of these animals are gone, perhaps to more northern regions. The only ones left you find in private fisheries/ranches where they are grown to sell.

9. Capt Bob

Capt Bob New Member

Hemingway was an ardent hunter and wrote often about it.

Quite well I might add.

Also check Robert Ruark: Enjoying a few of his books will leave you with true insights into Africa and big game hunting.

10. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Also Peter Capstick.

11. Pandora.Writing

My main reason for wanting to go fox and rabbit shooting is that besides the fact that rabbits are delicious, they pose a massive problem here in Australia. I live in a county town so you often have foxes destroying your chickens and rabbits destroying your crops. They are a massive threat for native wildlife because they essentially act like lawnmowers and destroy everything in their path.

12. Capt Bob

Capt Bob New Member

Go get Em' Pandora: Rabbit is not only delicious, it is the most nutritious of meats!.

No need to be defensive, a variety of topics is in everyone's interest.
    I'd have liked to have seen your "ethics" outlook.

I'll admit the one, small, little section of the thread/post garden you cut out and planted, does not yield itself to the intrusion of "Teeny Bopper Romance" plantings, but mourn not, they've still got ample acreage to pursue that "Creative Writing" necessity!.

You've got less than enough greenery left down under to be cultivating Roos and Rabbits. If you'd like, here's great recipe for Lapin a la moutarde, the way I make it.
    Need a big 'un about 1-1/2Kilo.
    http://www.frenchgardening.com/cuisine.html?pid=1169488697207375

You don't need 20 mounted horsemen- chasing 30 Beagles- chasing A-(1) Fox, all over the Countryside to consider it a day of "Rousing Sport" do you??.

13. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

Change 'Fox' with 'Man' and I think we might have something here.

14. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Does fishing count as hunting? I'm an avid fisherman, though as of late my avidity has been observed more in the breach than the adherence.

When I lived in Melbourne, FL I loved to go fishing beneath the Melbourne Causeway. It was so quiet and peaceful. During certain timed of the year there would be dinoflagellate blooms which made for bioluminescent effect when the water was disturbed. You could see dolphins fishing at night by following their ghostly glow. Life is made of moments like that.

15. Lavarian

Yes, I'd say it does. I too am an avid fisherman.
    I'm pretty jealous of your fishing spots.
    I've only fished on the sea once and it sucked. Way too touristy.
    I'd have been more happy back on the dock fishing with the locals.

16. Wreybies

First time I saw the dolphins fishing at night like that, I was kinda' scared. I have a thing about things in the water that I cannot really see. <shudder!> And then when you see the manatees in the bioluminescent tide. That is something else. Manatees are HUGE!! :eek:

17. Capt Bob

Capt Bob New Member

Was owner/Capt. operator of 46' 6pack Charter fishing boat here in the Keys for 10 years. Mucho fun and adventure plus you get paid!.

Down here it's the Sea and the Tourists that come for it---or I guess you can be a writer.

Dock fishing also has the grand appeal of having a Margarita "while fishing", instead of waiting to get back to shore--also to snooze off without repercussions!!.

Sea and sky and a few birds to share it with, such is the fabric of Paradise!.

18. Wreybies

Hear! Hear! I could not agree more. ;)

19. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

I used to go foxhunting when I was a teenager with the Dulverton pack and when my family was in Ireland we went beagling every Boxing day. It was the most fantastic day out and half the time there wasn't even one kill at the end of it. I can't stand any 'hunting' with a gun, I just can't see the attraction in it. Fishing likewise.

20. Capt Bob

Capt Bob New Member

Yeah: I think the throwback gene is fading out.
    There was a time when being in the great outdoors matching wits with dinner in the tall grass or at the end of a line carried some excitement and fulfilled a primitive urge.

Now it's all about running down the Supermarket Aisle and cutting off someone at the checkout line, while keeping the frozen chicken-(dinner)-in the basket that fulfills the sustenance provision need.

After-wards, wondering how you're going to feel after that fix of pesticides and growth hormones provides the danger/anticipation level!.

21. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Fear not, i've stepped on a dozen sting-rays over the years of fishing near the shore, and had many things swim about my legs at night. And i'm still hear ;). (Once i jumped of a small cliff, to jump into a deep pool area only to notice half a dozen baby mantra's(sp) not far from below. That indded scared. Seeing to much black on blue.

I saw someone with a 10x10 net hunting for pawns the other night. It was illegal and pissed me off. So unfair.

22. Pandora.Writing

I'm pretty hopeless at fishing, to be honest. The first time I tried I got my dad's lure caught in a tree, and the rest of the time I was so worried about hooking the back of my head that I could never cast the line properly. I still can't.

I'd love to catch a nice big snapper or tuna, but I'm afraid I wouldn't have the strength to keep up with all that work that goes into it. That and the fish probably weigh more than I do. Oh, and the fact I'm a horrible swimmer somewhat prevents me from wanting to go anywhere near the open sea. I'd be too afraid I'd fall overboard.

What's the craziest thing you've had happen while on a hunting trip?

23. Lavarian

Hehehe, my first few steps into the gulf, I stepped on a skate I think.
    It startled me. :)

Iowa River Fishing

I have fond memories of weekends spent at the river on my grandpa's land. My dad and I would go seine fishing for bait to use that evening.
    (Seine fishing in the river is where two guys each hold the end of a large net with weights on the bottom and slowly walk down the river, catching anything that swims in)
    We'd usually catch all sorts of things to use. Chubs, crayfish, minnows, sometimes a lone channel catfish that would be unfortunate enough to swim in.

After we'd caught a sizeable bucket of live bait, we'd make a small campsite next to the river bank. Typically, the bank we'd camp at would actually be a small cliffside overlooking the river valley, which would stretch out before us, the water itself probably about 10 feet down.

After the campsite was set up, we'd then get into the small, flat-bottoom boat and set off down the river in search of likely catfish holes. You can tell where they're likely to be hanging out when you find a small eddy where the water swirls around in a sort of whirlpool. Here we'd do one of two things. If there was a low-hanging treebranch, we'd tie a string and hook off of it and put some live bait on it. The hook should not be deeply submerged, but rather just barely under the water so the bait can splash around and make some noise throughout the night. If there is no low-hanging tree branch, we'd insert a sizeable willow branch into the side of the bank and tie the bait off onto that. (It's usually better to be a willow or some other flexible material so that sizeable fish can't snap it off.) After the bait is set, we'd return to the camp site and cook some dinner over the fire and just sort of relax until evening set in.

In the evening, we'd bait our own rods with whatever we wish. I usually prefer using either worms or stink bait. Chicken liver also works quite well.
    While we're fishing we do what most farmers/fishermen do best- Tell (sometimes doubtlessly exaggerated) stories about fishing/hunting trips past, spooky tales about unexplainable encounters with nature, etc.
    The night on the river under the stars is usually very peaceful. You can hear the "who cooks for you?" hoots of barred owls in the forest, the lonely cries of cyotes in distant fields, the echoing sounds of rocks clattering together as racoons flip over stones in search of food on the banks below, and of course- the thrumming croaks of bullfrogs set the rhythm to the constant chirping of their tree brethren.

Occasionally, the night's music would be interrupted by distant splashing. Hopefully, this means that something big has been hooked by one of our set lines. Usually, a few hours after the bait has been set, we'll either walk down the bank and check them with spotlights, or go in the boat and do so. Sometimes, there'd be a nice catch waiting for us, and sometimes there'd be nothing at all but a bare hook. Likely from a turtle. (They know just how to clean a hook without getting caught.)

The most memorable time I have of catching anything on one of those lines was when I was probably around 12 or 13 years old. My dad and I went home to sleep (didn't bring a tent that time) and came back the following morning to check our lines. He usually let me check the lines as we drifted by. If there was a fish, you'd typically know it. Sometimes, the low hanging branch would actually be in the water and the whole tree would be moving, as the fish is still fighting. Well, in any case, there was one time where we set a line off of a fallen tree that ran parallel to the bank but crossed over a large , circular eddy. My dad had said this was the perfect spot and, evidently, he was right. The line was completely still, but taut straight into the water. Usually, if the hook was empty, the line drifts out a bit with the current.
    This didn't register with me. I figured that since the line was over a whirlpool, it was being sucked straight down by the deviant current.
    I was incorrect.
    The moment I grabbed a hold of that line, the water around the entire boat began churning furiously and my dad later told me that my eyes were as wide as baseballs.
    It took two nets and my dad having to actually physically grab it's tail to get this sucker into the boat. And it took up pretty much the entire bottom. This flathead catfish was bigger than I was at the time. I remember being scared of it. I'd never seen a fish that size in our little river.
    We actually ended up taking the fish back to our farm pond and releasing it there, hoping to one day catch it again.
    We never actually caught it again, but there were several times when we were sure that we hooked into it. Once, my dad was struggling with a large fish for several minutes. As it neared the surface, we saw a huge tail flip up out of the water and go down. The line was snapped clean.
    Unfortunately, several years later our pond died out due to a harsh winter. There wasn't enough oxygen in the water so most of the fish that we had accrued over the years died. We would often go fish at distant lakes and bring back fairly exotic (for a farm pond) fish to stock it with.
    I remember the sad feeling I had when I saw our prized flathead lying dead on the bank after the thaw. :(

24. Squidget

Squidget New Member

i hunt

25. Pandora.Writing

I quite like the idea of going camping, fishing and hunting with that living off the land feeling. When it comes down to it though, it is unfortunately ruined by the feeling you're doing something wrong with the constant need to check applicable laws to make sure you're not catching something you shouldn't be. You go camping to get away from society, but even there it tends to haunt you which is unfortunate.

What sucks about camping (other than my inability to catch a fish) is I can't stand the bugs, lack of showers, sunburn, and the fact my air bed always seems to deflate on me. I'm such an indoors person. We always pick the worst times to go and it either pours down rain or burns my horrendously pale skin.

I think the scariest things that have happened while my family were camping was that a huge tree branch fell in the middle of the night, missing the tent where my brother and his friend were sleeping by just a metre or two as the tent was right in the V of the branch where it fell around it. That and my mother nearly ran us off the road when she fell asleep driving. I would have been the first person to be skewered by the metal railing.

There are a lot of kangaroos up that way though, and I wouldn't mind getting a few of those. Knowing my luck we wouldn't be able to hunt them on that area of land. I haven't been camping in a while, but the lake there was almost dried up last time we went, so the fishing wouldn't be great either. Guess I'll have to find somewhere else to hunt and fish and make some interesting memories that could translate into a good story.