?

Should I keep the setting in Guadalajara?

Poll closed Feb 5, 2016.
  1. Keep it and do A LOT of research

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Pick somewhere you are more familiar with

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Save up the money and visit Guadalajara

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. afontane

afontane New Member

Any tips for setting part of the story in a part of the world you've never been to?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by afontane, Jan 29, 2016.

Hello!

I came up with an idea for a novel last summer and I just started writing down everything that came to me. In the fall, I realized I wanted to make a drastic change. Originally, a small part of an early chapter was dedicated to the protagonist meeting a love interest in Guadalajara Mexico while on a volunteer trip. Now I have realized that I want to elaborate on that back story and dedicate a few more chapters to this trip. However... I have never been to Guadalajara, or even Mexico.

I probably know the answer to this already, but is it wise for me to try and write about a place with which I do not have first-hand knowledge? I'm willing to put in a lot of research to make this part of the book authentic, but I'm wondering folks think I will inevitably fall short.

I don't want to get into the details of why I picked Guadalajara, but I'll say that it is important to the plot, and I'd like to keep it in the story. Even so, I can probably relocate if absolutely necessary.

Thanks for any advice!
    AF

2. afontane

afontane New Member

Haha, I just saw a post a few lines down addressing this exact situation! Should have looked more carefully before posting!

I'm reading through some very helpful and thought-provoking posts now, but if anyone else has some ideas, I'd appreciate them too :)

3. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Senior Member

People will give you all sorts of advice about cultural elements, but don't neglect the physical aspects of place. Maps, photos, tourist accounts, and even timetables of sunrises and sunsets can all help you establish how the city feels.

afontane likes this.