1. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Any Tropers Out There?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JTheGreat, Feb 5, 2011.

Just wondering how many people on WritingForums also enjoy lurking around TvTropes.org for inspiration :D.

2. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

Far too much! It's so easy to just get lost in noticing things on there. Promise yourself ten minutes... then ten minutes more... and ten minutes more... definitely off in five... ooh, that's interesting... never noticed that...

Not for inspiration, mind. Just out of interest. It's actually a fantastic concept for a website and it's entertaining to read.

3. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

I once spent ten hours on there... :p I've banned myself now... But sometimes when I finish a good book or TV series, the temptation is too great... :p

4. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

I think it could use some trimming, and the 'this troper,' posts are almost always terrible, but it's still a great way to waste time. Without realising just how much time I've wasted :eek:

They've seemed to have added closable tabs lately so you don't have to scroll through categories of examples you don't care about, which I appreciate. It looks like the site is improving.

5. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Yea, its easy to lose yourself there. I once lost two hours just reading the entry on Deadpool. It was so much fun though. :D

6. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I didn't know such a thing existed, and now I really want to go look at it. Based on all the comments about how addicting it is, though, that's probably a bad idea...

7. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

If you have about 4 hours to kill and the ability to keep about 20 browser tabs open, have fun ;)

8. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Oh its not so bad. I think part of the fun about TVtropes is making fun of how 'addicting' it can be. :D But the whole losing chuncks of time is reall just... that you are having such a kick ass time you don't realize you missed your own wedding!(I wonder if thats ever happened before...)

But I love the site. It just just about everything. Half the time I don't even reading half the entry I came for because I got curious about another trope or saw a show listed that I like and wanted to know which tropes they have. lol

9. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

My thoughts too. I spend far too much time on this site I don't need another one - When would I have the time to write?

10. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I'm a Troper there. I'm known as LlamasLovesTropes and hang out in the ItJustBugsMe section.

Yes, I also look for inspiration and have found some that my characters can do.

11. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Usually going to TvTropes leads me on a tab-filled wikiwalk >_<. I'm known as JTheGreat (creative, eh?) and I usually add to trope-deprived work pages and fix careless typos XD.