1. Chudz

Chudz New Member

Anyone else a Haruki Murakami fan?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Chudz, Jul 11, 2010.

I'll admit the first time I read one of his novels, After Dark, I almost had a cow because everything wasn't spelled out in the end. Then I read another one and it was the same way. At that point, I loosened up a bit and just let myself enjoy the ride. To tell the truth, it was a hell of ride.

I was even enthralled with Underground. In truth, he's one of my favorite authors.

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

Yeah, he's definitely one of my favourite contemporary authors. South of the Border, West of the Sun is my favourite of his novels.

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I've seen his work around, but never checked them out before. What is he like?

4. Chudz

Chudz New Member

There's definitely a surreal element to the fictional works that I've read of his, which I really enjoy. His characterization draws me in, and I find myself reading avidly whether the character is preparing dinner or delving further into mysterious occurrences.

As I mentioned in the above post, the fact that everything isn't spelled out by the end of the books really threw me at first. Or maybe it is all spelled out and I'm just lacking the mental agility to comprehend it. Either way, when I'm done reading one of his novels, I often find myself thinking back and forming my own conclusions, which tends to be rather enjoyable.

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I know who Murakami is but have never read any of his stuff. I am now thinking of checking out his books. Do you guys have any recommendations for where I should begin?

6. Chudz

Chudz New Member

Out of the ones that I've read, I'd suggest Kafka on the Shore or After Dark.

7. arron89

arron89 Banned

I find his surrealist tendancies a little much in some of his books, so the ones I prefer are the ones where that aspect is pretty minimal (but still important). I'd recommend either South of the Border, West of the Sun or Norwegian Wood. I wouldn't start with After Dark, but maybe that's just me.

8. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Ok, thanks guys. I will check them out.

9. Chudz

Chudz New Member

Actually, Kafka on the Shore, encouraged me to read Kafka. It's amazing the trail your interest may take.

10. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I liked "The Wind Up Bird Chronicle" and "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World."

Haven't read anything else by him.

11. Movie_Pat

Movie_Pat New Member

I adore Kafka on the Shore, it is one of my favourite novels of all time. I also very much enjoyed A Wild Sheep Chase and Norwegian Wood.

Wasn't too keen on After Dark. Seemed almost like soemthing I'd write trying to be Haruki Murakami.

That is all I have read by him, but I have many of his others on my list.