1. Chromewriter

Chromewriter Contributor Contributor

Anyone else have experience of hating what they wrote?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Chromewriter, Sep 7, 2021.

I had a neat concept I was trying to execute yesterday and today. I completely flubbed it. Now I cannot bear to look at it. LOL

In hindsight, I probably pushed myself too hard to hit some benchmarks. Anyway care to share your own failures so I feel better about mine? :)

montecarlo likes this.
  2. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

Yeah I wrote a sci fi thriller once that was meant to be a cat-and-mouse, but it got so repetitive I added in some extra characters, and then the heroine became a Mary Sue and fuck that story it’s trash

Travalgar and Chromewriter like this.
  3. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Not long ago, I pulled out a young adult fantasy that I've been working on off and on for years. Half an hour into revising, it struck me: I hate this book. It's boring. I don't want to read it. Illumination. Freedom. On to something better.

4. Chromewriter

I just realised I didn't actually describe what I wrote:

It was a departure from what I usually write as of now, lots of symbolism, heavy prose, deconstruction of a fairytale. It seemed interesting, but just became boring as I kept going. After a certain while, it was like pulling teeth to try and finish. So I ended up scrapping it. :supersleepy:

5. Bigyan Ghimire

Bigyan Ghimire New Member

That's why I narrate everything I write, haha! So, I know how it sounds.

6. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    The highest praise I can pay contest entries is to tell the writers that they don't read like contest entries. I wrote a piece for a contest here that just stinks of flash contest entry.

Chromewriter likes this.
  7. Chromewriter

I think I personally find it hard not to become/feel pretentious when I attempt a short story. It always feels gimmicky. A massive failure on my part that I need to get better at fixing. Even a novel is a bunch of small individuals stories strung together.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  8. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    I think "hating" your work is a sign that you are serious about it; let other people do the judging, just do your best. You will always be convinced you could have done better, but that may or may not be true.

9. Midlife Maniac

Midlife Maniac Active Member

I don’t think anyone can objectively evaluate their own work to a reliable degree. Thanks to communities like this one, we don’t have to!

It’s ok to scrap or shelve something if you’re not enjoying the writing process with it. A good book called Creativity made a good point: coming up with idea is easy, identifying the bad one quickly is what makes you successful.

I’m trying to write a memoir, which in itself is quite pretentious of me. There are days I am convinced nobody is going to care about my crap, usually Tuesday through Friday. I keep going because I love the process, even if it never sees the light of day.

Travalgar likes this.
  10. Travalgar

Travalgar Active Member

The amount of cringe I get from reading my writings is directly proportional to length of time between the time of reading and time of writing.

I have had several instances of accidentally viewing my past NaNoWriMo manuscripts from years ago. Immediately felt like shit every time.

11. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    I will add this corollary: nearly every time I feel viscerally satisfied with something I have written it turns out to be sappy or contrived or blatantly derivative of someone else's [better] writing. Originality and sincerity are hard to capture.

Moon, Travalgar and Iain Aschendale like this.
  12. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

All the time, though it's mostly with poetry.

They say: "Good poems come from Odin's mouth. Bad ones come from his ass."

A story there, but I'm not willing to tell it.

13. Josephine Duke

Josephine Duke Member

Last Night at the Telegraph Club
    All the time. I feel like I have good ideas, but executing them well is another story I am not exactly well-versed in yet, and criticism I’ve gotten in the past seems to back that up. All I can really do is ignore that self-hatred of my work as best as I can and make an contentious effort to improve my work.

14. Dick Johnson

Dick Johnson Active Member

I hate everything I write. I think it's natural. At least for me.