1. ShannonH

ShannonH Senior Member Contest Winner 2023

Anyone Familiar With Podcast Production?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by ShannonH, Dec 31, 2021.

Maybe a shot in the dark but I'm curious if anyone on the board has any experience with Podcasts?

I'm talking on the more professional end of things and looking for a bit of help with number of employees, roles and the mechanisms of putting out a weekly show with a large number of listeners.

evild4ve likes this.
  2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

This might not be useful, but I've done a few restaurant related ones and worked with several of the local food bloggers/reviewers/social media-ites. Honestly, all of them have been one or two person operations. Not sure how "big" you're thinking, but these are legit players in the city food scene, though that has always been a tight-knit vibe. I know they don't need to outsource editors or production crews and all that. They're pod casts are produced by one person with a microphone and recording device... usually a phone.

3. Lili.A.Pemberton

Lili.A.Pemberton Active Member

Hmm. I, from time to time, work as a freelance transcriptionist. I've transcribed podcasts before, some that are a little indie, some that were about pop culture, some that were about finance and economics, some that go up on Spotify and seem to have a following. I don't know what exactly you're asking for, but these are some bits that might help:

- Most podcasts are recorded out of order and edited to be in order after. They have specific segments that can be recorded independent of each other and stitched together later.
    - Most well-produced podcasts have researchers, coordinators, and an audio-check person. Sometimes all three jobs or two of the jobs are taken by the same person if it's a small production.
    - Some podcasts have scripts written by script writers that they follow pretty closely, but mostly podcasts just have bullet point topics and research papers handed to them that they use to introduce the topic and from there it's mostly improv.
    - I'm, like, 99% podcasts are at least a little recorded in advanced? Like, obviously if the podcast is about popular culture or recent news they probably can't record too far in advance or they'd be reporting on old news, but it'd just make sense if they were.
    - As far as I'm aware from transcribing a few behind the scenes that were left in, the process of doing a podcast is:
    • come up for an idea for the episode,
    • do research
    • do script-writing (if it's that kind of show)
    • record the show
    • do retakes, if necessary (loud train passed by, someone didn't say a sponsor's name correctly, the podcaster flubbed it, etc.)
    • Edit the show (balance the audios, put in the theme song if there is any, etc.)
    • Have someone transcribe the show
    • Post it somewhere
    • Promote it on Social Media, (if they have any)
    • Repeat on a weekly basis.
    That's mostly what I remember just from transcribing. Usually the podcasts on Spotify have around three to four people they thank at the end who also helped make the show possible. Showrunners, producers, etc. Hope I helped???

evild4ve and ShannonH like this.
  4. ShannonH

ShannonH Senior Member Contest Winner 2023

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated :)

evild4ve likes this.
  5. virgil_is_king

virgil_is_king Member

I too have put out a few cast in my day is there any perticuler info your looking for

6. Pixit

Pixit Member

Not with production but I like everything related to radio and occassionally listen to podcasts, I recently read a recommendation for writers - Playwright's Podcast - https://royalcourttheatre.com/series/playwrights-podcast/