1. Kendria Perry

Kendria Perry Member

Anyone live in/been to/comes from Bucharest, Romania?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Kendria Perry, Mar 18, 2013.

I'm writing a novel where a large amount of back story takes place in Bucharest, Romania, in the present day. Thing is, I don't know ANYTHING about that place, and I'm too lazy to check out books from the library about Romania or stuff like that. So, here are some things I must find out:

1. How large is the Roma population in the city?

2. Is the city modern, or is it a sort-of "old-worldly" (think certain places in Switzerland) place?

3. Is the economy failing?

4. What's their equivalent of middle school?

5. The predominant language is Romanian, right? (Stupid question, I know)

Thanks in advance!

2. Nee

Nee Member

3. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I've been there.

I can't give you an exact number (look it up) but let's just say the roma are noticed. Romanians call them gypsies, and they are frowned upon by the majority of people there. It's a big deal.

2. Is the city modern, or is it a sort-of "old-worldly" (think certain places in Switzerland) place?

Most of Bucharest has been reconstructed.It's modern looking and fairly ugly,but there is a small part kept historical,that is beautiful,with cobblestone,etc.
    The average salary there is very low.There's also a good deal of corruption,and a lot of the new wealth there are from post communist entrepreneurs.
    Not sure, maybe high school, but their school systems are pretty good,though cheating has become common place.
    yes

4. BlackCatMagick

BlackCatMagick Member

It's entirely possible to write about a place you've never been to - Bram Stoker never set foot in Transylvania. ;)

Secondly... You can't be lazy when you're writing a book! Especially with your research. You must have a solid understanding of your setting. The internet is a good tool. Start there.

If you don't want to go to the library, used books on Amazon are pretty reasonable.

5. fbronnie

fbronnie New Member

Hi,
    I'm not from Bucharest, but I am a Romanian, living in Romania.\

We call them Gypsies (tzigani) or Roma (rromi). From approximately 1.7 million inhabitants, 24 thousands are self-declared "rromi". Usually, the Roma population is localized in some neighborhoods.

As many european cities, in Bucharest you can find an older part (Old Center) and new neighborhoods with block of flats an, more recently, sort of suburbs villas.

No, it's quite developing. Salaries are low, compared to Western Europe countries, but it's an emerging economy.

Scool is like this (in batches of four years):
    children ages 2-6 go to kindergarten
    ages 6-10 go to primary school
    ages 11-15 go to middle school or gymnasium
    age 15-19 go to high school or lyceum (there is another way instead of high-school - a three year vocational school for jobs like: mechanics, hair stylists, woodworker and so on)
    after that is post-lyceum for two years (sort of college) or university (3 years for graduate + 2 for master degree)
    and, of course, doctorate and post-doctorate studies

Romanian, yes. Especially in Bucharest. There are, however, counties in which Hungarian is predominant.

Hope this helped.