Anyone planning on going all the way?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Patrick94, Jul 14, 2011.

?

How far are you taking it?

Poll closed Jul 28, 2011.
  1. All the way

28 vote(s)
    56.0%
  2. Happy to be published

20 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Happy to be writing (but nothing more)

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

That's the spirit. Last I knew, it was the only way...

2. Drusilla

Drusilla Active Member

I'd be happy to just be published in my own small, European country, but I'd love my book(s) to be known worldwide, translated into many different languages and discussed on discussion boards all over the world. Money isn't that important for me. That's not why I write. But I would love to have more than enough, so I could afford travelling where I want to and living where I want to.

I agree 100%.

3. lemurkat

lemurkat New Member

I'd just like people to read my books. Any $$$ I make from it is a bonus.

4. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I agree, it's not so much about the money as about making a living from writing. It might not generate millions but that's ok with me :) well, even if it did, It wouldn't be a problem... 0:)

5. Blue_Lotus

Blue_Lotus New Member

@ Joker, My bad.
    Save it for later, it will keep ;)

6. superman

superman New Member

im sure everyone has different goals.

My friend said to me " your stories really well thought out and advanced, but theres only a handful of people going to like it, should you not write one that will feed the masses"

Now if i was doing it for money, then absolutely, id suit the masses.

In the same way if my goal was to become a household name, i would take that into consideration.

But my goals at the moment are to encapsulate my feelings, my beliefs, my way of thinking. The same way nietzsche might not be as well known as Roald Dahl, both these authors had very different goals which led them down different paths.

Currently i wouldnt like to be a household name, but a name only used in certain selective circles lol :) :)

7. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

The thought of ever being published would tickle me to death. I don't mind not being well known like, Jk Rowling, Stephanie Meyer, PC and Kristen Cast, etc. (Realization: why did I just name the authors of Harry Potter, Twilight, and the House of Night series when I've only read one of them?)

Anyway, just the thought of being published one day will pretty much make me happy in the writing career. :) Being well known is fine, but I do not expect it.

8. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I'm not writing to suit the masses, but I definitely hope my work becomes popular. I work very hard to get short stories published, put up with the rejections, and keep my hopes up that this novel I'm writing is going to be "the one". Who cares how realistic it is? I'm gonna write like I mean it. All the way for me.

9. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I don't want to be famous, but it would be great if I got a book published and people would go up to someone else considering buying it in a bookshop and be like 'IT IS SO GOOD, YOU'VE GOT TO READ IT.' That'd be awesome. Of course, I'd never know that was happening but you get what I mean. Ultimately, I'd just be happy to be published though and being able to find something I've written in a bookshop.

10. heyitsmary

heyitsmary New Member

I would love to become well-known or even famous for my writing one day. I would also love to be published but not be that well-known. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. All I know is that I definitely want to be published one day and hopefully make at least some money from it.

11. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I agree with who claims to write stories that THEY like in the first place instead of "writing for the masses". I even think it's a better way of getting well-known, if you feel a passion for what you are writing and really like it yourself I'm sure it will show, and there are just so many genres, someone WILL like your book if it gets published. I thought about that recently, if I were to follow the scandinavian trend I would definitely write thrillers/suspence-/police-novels, but the fact that I don't and write a genre that isn't already quite saturated may make it easier for me to stand out in an already painful competition. it doesn't affect my choice of genre, I write it because that is the one I like the best, but I definitely consider that possibility.

12. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I don't need to be a Great Author or a Famous Author. I'd be delighted to be published, and I'd like what is published to be pretty good, but I'd be perfectly happy for "pretty good" to be an enjoyable yarn that absorbs someone thoroughly on a day at the beach, or a book that they remember faintly but fondly from childhood. Or, using me as my example reader, I'd be delighted if I wrote a book as good as the books that I keep, as opposed to one like the books that I enjoy but sell away to the used bookstore.

ChickenFreak

13. Kio

Kio New Member

It's funny because I was actually thinking about how happy I'd be just to make it second to J.K. Rowling; however, the last movie, The Deathly Hallows Part 2, really put things into perspective for me. I'm never going to get anywhere near as famous, so I should be happy with at least getting published. Best to settle among the stars rather than tear myself apart trying to reach the moon. God knows I've done it through my teenage years.

But it's nice to see a lot of people being so ambitious. I wish the lot of them luck.

14. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Ditto, dude, ditto. I have a lot of ambition but I still have those nagging fears that i'll never make it. I guess a bigger part of me just wants to try it anyway.

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No. There is no try. Do.

Yeah, the little green guy is right.

16. Ged

Ged New Member

Off topic, but WTFBBQ the film was totally better than the book, don't you think? They actually made Voldemort seem more human and... relatable, in a way. Sure, they curtailed many of the good bits in the book, but they made up for it, and then some.

And to revert to the topic... Well, I'd be glad to be published, but it isn't such a big goal for me yet. Maybe I'm still not sure whether I'm writer material.