1. Malum

Malum Offline

Apartment 7 - Cover Critique

Discussion in 'Cover Design' started by Malum, Dec 9, 2020.

Upon enquiring as to whether this could become a sub-forum of sorts, I thought I'd post the cover of a story I wish to self-publish, in a very limited amount of editions for those that have supported me along my journey of insanity and self-indulgence once it's finally finished. It would be a very good idea if the New World Order Police Department @NWOPD could implement something like that - but I do not want to continue that point here.

Basically, I'm unwilling to discuss the storyline other than the fact it's about my own self-loathing, suicide, drugs and really really cool stuff. I paid a personal friend of mine to make the concept into reality, and the blurb is completed - yet I don't want that out there at this point. I wrote the manifesto of what I needed in my design, about three pages long and drew its brief concept in pencil. I might scan that up eventually. Pretty damn funny.

If you could judge a book by a cover and title, would it appeal to you? I bartered with an exceedingly talented friend of mine and he agreed upon designing it with motives of belief and smoky endorsement. Thank you. Sorry for the watermark.

Here's Jonny!

Untitled.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  2. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

I like it a lot. I think the tile and author name should be much bigger though.

Malum likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Okay cover art let down by poor text which is far too small and not placed with any design in mind... it needs to be much bigger and in a print font not a display font

assuming you're not in a money changing hands type situation, i'd say take a look at Canva which is both free and easy to use.

your other problem, amply demonstrated above is that its very muddy at thumbnail which will not help you on amazon... i'd suggest your freind needs to tone down the glow effect and make things a little more contrasty

Malum likes this.
  4. Malum

Malum Offline

@marshipan Thank you. I wanted it to be minimalistic in terms of font size - didn't want my name to be one big narcissistic ejaculation all over it.

@big soft moose I did compress the file and re-size it for the sake of upload on here, the original GFX is to scale of the typical novel (and incredibly large). With it being a limited release for those that have supported me over the years, I wanted it to be something exclusive to those that have endured my descent into literal literary insanity. Should I end up approaching the publishing realm or self-publishing for commercial success, which I might do at risk of my next novel likely putting my physical health in jeopardy.

You are indeed correct about the glowing of the inverted crosses, aerial and the number on the television. I am praying he still has access to his initial designs, which I'm sure he should. I reckon if I ever put my hands and nose together and finish the damned thing I will tone that down a bit. The more, display elements of the text I wanted to emboss should I find an independent self-publishing service to invest in, with luxuries in mind. I want this to be the monumental relic of all that I have been obsessed with since the age of fifteen. I have no interest in profit, upon the first run of this and will definitely put more practical matters like mentioned into mind in future. I will probably release the copies I do create even at a loss, just to assert some meaning of my existence to those around me that assume me to be an addicted waste of space - in the most luxurious of manners I can ascertain.

Edit: Yes, you are also right about the font of the text not integrating with the design of the cover as a whole, it just seems plastered on. That isn't something I considered whatsoever when coming up with the idea.

Thank you both for your feedback. I couldn't believe how well my vision became manifested. It is only a hobby this guy indulges in whilst simultaneously being a network engineer.

Perhaps I am too paranoid and should have uploaded in its maximum quality. I would be happy to, should anybody prompt me with further interest/advice privately. I figure the design may change significantly if my delusions of grandeur ever come to fruition. Thanks again. I have little to no knowledge about the commerciality of books and the industry, I've just dedicated myself to creating something exhibiting my mind working at 100% and as a result I'm absolutely terrified of sharing manuscripts, drafts and anything of the sort in their entirety. Plus I don't want my writing style for this one all the way out there. Forgive my narcissism.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020