Tags:
  1. Nomdeploom

Nomdeploom New Member

apostrophe

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Nomdeploom, Jul 12, 2022.

I really hate apostrophes, they really hurt my head, I am good with most of them but from time to time, I just glitch I think!
    For example If I want to say—I answered the kids questions.—Should it be kids or kids'?
    Do people still care about apostrophes after the s anymore? it is not something I see very often when I am reading.

Anyway thoughts on kids or kids' appreciated

2. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

One kid - kid's. Two or more - kids'. Most people don't seem to care about anything concerning language anymore. Most often apostrophes are used where they aren't necessary ('Try our taco's!")

3. Nomdeploom

Nomdeploom New Member

I'm no apostrophe gestapo, but I do like to stick to the rules when I can, problem is I learnt the rules 30 years ago then never wrote a word after leaving school. Yet now I find myself in the strange position as a Beta reader for a number of authors. I want to do the best job I can for them, and whilst I know it is not my job to police their grammar I like to think I help even a little.

Thanks for the answer, that was what I had assumed but I wanted to be sure!

petra4 likes this.
  4. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

You can always look up grammar rules online when necessary. Try googling for apostrophe rules. It's an extremely good idea to do that whenever you run across something you don't really know. Now we care a lot more about the rules of grammar then we did when we were kids, since most of us want to improve our writing abilities, so we work harder to remember and use them properly. After a while your writing will improve pretty dramatically as a result.

Louanne Learning likes this.
  5. evild4ve

evild4ve Critique is stranger than fiction Supporter Contributor

We should get rid of genitive apostrophes. Paper is no longer a premium storage medium trusted to trained scribes and needing to be conserved.
    And in digital media having a little mark instead of a letter doesn't save any ink, or a key-press.
    So let's go back to writing out all the letter es e's ees that they're placeholding for (probably thanks to some crackpot decision by an 18th Century standardizer)
    Literacy would improve overnight. Children would be cheaper to educate. Typing would be faster. Proofreaders' eyes would last longer.

It would be the doges bollocks

B.E. Nugent likes this.
  6. B.E. Nugent

B.E. Nugent Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Ok, you have covered yourself for let's and they're but should that last one not be proofreaderses?

7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Not to be a dick, but if you want to sound like an illiterate dumbass, forgoing the proper use of apostrophes is an excellent start. Do people care? Not the general public, but the people who invest in literature? Yeah, probably. But who knows... ten years from now the publishing gatekeepers might find that proper grammar is no longer necessary and emojis and text-speak might actually sell more books. Shoot me in the nuts if that happens.

Sorry, really trying not to sound like a dick, but grammar is still really fucking important when you broker in words. But that's just my not-humble-at-all-opinion.

8. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Please don't get rid of the sky comma.

9. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Are you turning into Gollum?? Throw the precious ring away—get it out of your handses! Do it now!!

Hey, maybe that's it. The whole secret of the Hobbitses. Maybe the ring just takes away your understandingses of apostrophees.

B.E. Nugent and evild4ve like this.
  10. evild4ve

evild4ve Critique is stranger than fiction Supporter Contributor

That's why Tolkien had to call it The Lord of the Rings, and not The Rings' Lord.

petra4 and Xoic like this.