Short Story Are many destined to flounder? If so, why bother?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Credulous Skeptic, Apr 5, 2009.

1. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

Well Henry, I'd have to point out that a thread titled "are many destined to flounder" is a sure indication of someone who is struggling with the issue of whether or not they are cut out to be a writer. Positive and negative comments both aside, what really matters is his own internal drive to write--not what other people say (whether encouraging or discouraging him). Just my thoughts.

~Lynn

2. lazerus reborn

lazerus reborn New Member

I find this quite peseimistic,

Were all destined to die so should we just sit down quitely and stop breathing?

NO I will go down kicking a screaming at least then, if have nothing to leave after i die, someone will remember me at least for some reason.

But hopefully that won't come to pass and I will be able to leave some memory, some object, that will say, Conor was here. :rolleyes:
    That my friend is motivation
    That is all are movtivation,
    heed these words,
    I can do no more than this.

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

The human race is an ignorant species isn't it. ;)

4. lazerus reborn

lazerus reborn New Member

You have no idea...

or mayby you do?

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Haha, anyone who has played Fallout 3 should know. :p

6. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

... I'm just going to say "yes" and leave it at that.

~Lynn

7. Atari

Atari Active Member

Interesting how you agree with me while writing in a tone that indicates that you are not agreeing with me.

If we both agree that this was really a 'cry for help' disguised by a piteous declaration of resignation, then the ONE event which would cause me to be wrong has just occurred.

If he had been fully honest, rather than disingenuous, then it would have been true that the 'encouragement' would have simply annoyed him.

I left room open for this possibility (with my 'maybe') and was rewarded by the effort.

The fact is, EVERYONE just automatically ASSUMED that he was being disingenuous, while I chose to believe that he was being absolutely candid.

8. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Why not?

Often, I choose a subject and start to write a story about it. Partway through, I get really frustrated with myself for choosing that topic and beat myself up because it's not something anyone is going to want to read about. I start to wonder if maybe I should just give it up and come up with something else to write about, and then I let someone else read it...and you would be surprised at how often they really like the subject I chose.

Others have advised that you let others take a look at your writing and give you their opinions. I couldn't agree more-we are our toughest critics, and sometimes it takes an outside opinion to give us an unbiased idea of how we're doing.

9. Aeroflot

Aeroflot New Member

Skeptic needs some inspiration. I'll go pick up a can at the store next time I'm there.

10. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless New Member

Bravely adventuring beyond the fourth wall.
    It would be awesome if inspiration did come in a can. I can just imagine someone marketing a Creative Energy Drink. (You'll have so much creative energy you'll need to give a can to a scientist just so they create a time machine so you have enough time to write them all but you won't have enough time because you'll still be thinking of them while you write and it will be inhumanely saddening but in a good way! Tricky dialogue will become smilelogue! Character descriptions? More like character PREscriptions ... FOR CREATIVITY. You'll have so much inspiration you'll find new ways to do EVERYTHING. Creative filing, creative typing, creative walking, creative spitting everything you do will be art! You'll be so many ideas that even GOD will descend to talk to you and he'll be like "Hey, want to help be create a new world?" and you'll be like "**** YOU GOD I've stories to write!". (Contains 5% real recycled manuscripts from best selling authors. Now available in Strawberrysperation.) )

11. x_raichelle_x

x_raichelle_x New Member

Haha you sound like the Powerthirst advert! MENERGY!

12. Aeroflot

Aeroflot New Member

oh, no. never do that

13. Credulous Skeptic

Credulous Skeptic New Member

The more I read, the less I write. Thank God for that!

14. Aeroflot

Aeroflot New Member

Actually, I don't even begin to write unless I've read a chapter or two of a book. That gets me into creative mode. If I've learned one thing from taking Intro to Drawing three times, it's that the brain operates using different sections for different actions. One side controls creativity (you know you're using this side when words are flowing out like crazy) and the other side controls your critical/editor mode. In drawing, we'd have to draw for a while, like warm-ups, so our brains would transfer over to creative mode. Otherwise our critical side would prevent us from drawing well.

Just some yummy food for..

yumm food... brb. kitchen.

15. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless New Member

Bravely adventuring beyond the fourth wall.
    If I've started reading a good book, I usually can't manage to write anything (or do much else for that matter) until I've finished reading it, heh.

16. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

I agree... reading improves your writing. I've never met a good writer who didn't love to read. Reading helps to teach us what works in writing and what doesn't. For me, I normally have to read a couple chapters of something in order to really get into the mood to write. I think someone else has the same thing going on.

~Lynn