Are you a fraud?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by deadrats, Jul 9, 2019.

1. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

For me, being exposed as a fraud requires literally no effort in my part, whereas I'd actually have to write a resignation letter to call it quits. So, if you actively have to convince people you're no good, you may want to consider that you might be mistaken on this point.

Mckk, Alan Aspie and AndieBoDandy like this.
  2. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

Imposter syndrome and insecurity can really wreck your perspective.

But as for a "fraud," are you swindling people? Are you passing off others' work as your own? Are you charging for your work, and then just taking the money and running off without giving anything to your clients in return? That would make you a fraud.

It can definitely be hard, when you're doing creative work as a job, to feel like the work you put out isn't Perfect and you don't really "deserve" to be paid for it. A lot of my friends do art commissions, and the same feelings arise when they're at a low point - "This isn't my best work, I'm scamming my client by making them pay for this, I want to just refund them and give up." But honestly, so long as your clients are getting what they paid for, no harm no foul.

3. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

None of these, my worry was I didn't have the sheepskin or the credentials to work at the level of engineering I was assigned.
    I also felt bad coming in for more money than my boss was making. It left people wondering if I was that good or not.

Luxri and Cave Troll like this.
  4. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

To me the whole question is pointless.

1. In writing to others the point is not is your writing good or bad. The point is how many people find in your text (different thing than writing) the kind of value they need or want.

The value is not in writing but in connection and it's results.

2. To me personally it's not as important am I a good writer or not. It's about do I love writing (yes), do I need to do it (yes), do I do it enough (yes, 4-5 pages a day is a good average) and is my text good or improving (decent and improving).

3. It's not about is writer good but is writing - the process - and it's results good.

You can improve that process in it's every level.

Writing is not a person, it's a process.

4. "Go where the pain is, go where the relief is." "Think what you know emotionally."

You have self doubts? Good. You have some good material. And a lot of people can relate to that problem. How are you going to execute that in your writing?

5. Writing is rewriting.

Raw material is for SFD. (Shitty First Draft.) It's not supposed to be good text but raw.

First draft is for writer. (You can't make it better if you don't do it.)

Second draft is for readers. (Things they love or need must be there and written ok.

Third draft is for haters. You take care that you don't deliver them ammunition - or if you do, they should be blancs.

Fourth draft is for agent/editor/other professionals.

Fifth draft should be your book - if it get's published.

P.S.

If you publish and someone buys your gooks and you tell or think that you are not worth publishing, then you insult your audience. That is impolite, rude and should not be done.

To them the book they bought is their, not yours. It's part of their life. You haven't earned the right to tell them what kind of decisions, thoughts and feelings they should have.

love to read and Malisky like this.
  5. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Oh, yes I am! I'm such a good fraud that sometimes I even fool myself into believing that I'm good at what I'm doing. But I am, even when I'm not. :p

Luxri, Alan Aspie and Cave Troll like this.
  6. EightyD

EightyD Member

I most definitely feel like a fraud.

I am no writer.

But I enjoy writing at times, and would like to get better. So I'm here, trying to learn from people who are passionately trying to grow and improve, but I'm just roasting marshmallows off of their fire.

Thundair, Luxri and Cave Troll like this.
  7. GrJs

GrJs Active Member

You know, the reason you can't hit deadlines is because you're not gauging how long it takes you to write something well. So you get stressed because of the deadline, then you rush your story and wind up with something that's not as good as you can possibly make it. You're not a fraud, you're just not getting given the time you need to do your best effort.

You're only a fraud if you profit off work that isn't your own.

Also, you are your own worst critic so don't take everything you say about yourself seriously. You're better than your brain tells you you are.

Luxri, Cave Troll and EightyD like this.
  8. Capslock

Capslock Active Member

I don’t feel like a fraud because I haven’t or rarely would label myself as a writer. This is the only art form I haven’t mastered, so I’m just doing it to explore my ideas. I’ve only shared some work with 2 or so people. So there shouldn’t be gossip about me as a fraud.

However, if I was telling everyone that I’m a writer, that would be false. I’m into the world of writing. Yes I want to be a writer, Telling myself this is a great hobby. I’m trying to capture ideas on a regular basis, haven’t produced much to speak of.

9. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I'm not sure how you are differentiating writing from text, but I am talking about writing. This is creative writing that I'm doing. I'm not writing articles or web content. I'm a writer, a creative writer. This is what I do and get paid for. I guess I'm struggling with how this all happened and following through with the opportunities before me. When it was all a struggle it made more sense. And I've still got a long way to go. It's just hard to come to terms with really doing this. And it's hard to keep up with. I don't know how much of this makes sense to those who aren't doing this for a living. But every time something really good happens my first thought is it has to be a mistake.

10. MissBadWolf

MissBadWolf Senior Member

I am a fraud because in reality I am not a wolf, but I am bad as in not good when I am thinking I have delusions of grandeur.

I think I am a fraud because my ideas are not 100% original. For example I thought of Mewians, which is a race of cat people, which is not exactly an original idea.

I think I am good with computers but now I think that is me being a fraud because I keep messing up typing this post up on my computer. I am on my iPad now.

I think I am a fraud when it comes to computer art because I do not create all my objects from scratch. My ADD and OCD collide in making it hard for me.

It is okay to feel like a fraud in creative areas. I think in someways one cannot be a real artist without some doubts. But that could be my self talk to help me feel better about self doubt.

Thundair, deadrats and Cave Troll like this.
  11. meisenimverbis

meisenimverbis Member

I do. But I'm rather a wannabe. I don't say I'm a writer, because I don't really consider myself one as yet. If I ever finish this book I will be. Or at least this one story of the (thirty-story) book I have in mind. I'm right at the beginning. Not wrote much yet. I made a lot of plans, characters, and chronologies, and genealogies, but few plots, and I already feel stuck...