Are you a 'secret' writer?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sophie., Apr 19, 2009.

1. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Why? I truly am confused. :confused: Writing a much needed skill. If you have the talent but no means by which to communicate what you know, you're screwed.

And creative writing is no different; you're communicating your thoughts, and the more you practice the more you excel as a writer, and your communication skills are honed into a coveted craft (I promise; there are many writers who make a living out of writing things down because others dont know how!). Creative writing is just that --creative, and it can be scary to share sometimes, but why letting your mother even know that you like to put words to paper be scary? It's a hobby. Some people play sports, some people cook, some people write, some people do all three.

2. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

For some, writing is a very personal outlet. Sharing that with others is sharing a vulnerable side of yourself. That is a scary thought. To give yourself to someone like that and not know what you'll get in return (rejection for instance) takes a lot of courage.

It's less about the fact that they write and more about the writing itself. At least, I know that's how it is for me. I know that my extended family would come down on me for it big time. They would make fun of me, and as much as it wouldn't bother me nowadays (two years ago it would have broken me down), I more just don't want to bother putting the energy into dealing with that.

3. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

Rejection is the reason im scared to put my writing into the creative writing competition at school as it has to be realy good to enter and if its not, well you get the idea. i can take critisism and all but rejection i don't know if i could handel

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Don't worry about rejection, if you know a story to be good and you've worked hard it's the publisher's loss; and there is always round two. :)

5. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

Handing a story over to a publisher is far different from handing a story over to a loved one.

6. Lemex

I know it's a harder thing to do, but I don't think it should be as scary as people make it out. If they reject your story, and you know in your heart of hearts that it's good and you worked your ass off at it, it shouldn't be any diffrent to a job interview. Just think 'It's their loss, I would have been the best damn emplyee I can be, and they missed out' and move on.

7. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

Only a lot of writer's are insecure. They don't know in their heart of hearts that it is a good story. Which is where the fear of sharing come in.

8. Lemex

I understand insecurity. I'm a very insecure person myself. But if you worked hard at something you know on some level it's good, or at least you like it. I just think people should be more optemistic about this. Afterall, if you are rejected, nothing will change, you will be in the same position as the day before. Again, just like a job interview. What you should do is just improve on what you feel you need too and try again.

9. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

I'm not saying I disagree. I'm just saying finding the courage is a very difficult thing. I've grown out of the ubershy girl I was, but even I still have problems when it comes to things like this. Hearing rejection from those close to you can be devestating. Yes, I agree it would be a perfect world if everyone could share their passions instead of keeping them a secret, unfortunately, that's no the case. There are people out there who get pleasure from bringing other down. Writing is a chance for them to do that.

10. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

I certainly don't keep from anyone that I write. I am not sticking my latest poem in anyone's face either though. I have some friends and family who also write. We exchange things. My husband, however, has no interest in the kind of stuff I write...so I don't share with him. I don't feel the need to hide any of my passions. If people have no interest, that is fine. I don't do it for them. Writing is a part of who I am...so I share that with any friend I would share myself with.

11. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

I'm no longer a writer after today's problems with the local writers' group. :(
    But yes, I am (was) similar in that it's not a secret but I wouldn't expose anyone to it unless they asked. Nicely.

12. Carmina

Keep writing Dal. F@#$ those people. Write for you. Share with us.

13. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I agree. Don't let people like that ruin something that you enjoy. It's not worth it.

14. Trojan

Trojan New Member

Another secret writer here too.

I see no shame in writing but just don't feel the need to tell anyone.

15. sophie.

sophie. New Member

That's what I think. And I only really write a few poems, not like I'm churning out stories, so it's only a small kind of side-line for me.

16. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Nope, not at all. I try and ply my work on anyone who can read. :D

17. rory

rory Active Member

Agreed with Sweetchaos and Sophie. Writing is a pass-time, a hobby and while I want to improve (hence the joining of this forum) I have no plans for it, just dreams. Plus I thinks its nice to know something about myself that my close friends and family don't. Maybe one day I'll share but not till I'm ready. :)

18. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

I am too scared to put my work out there I have only a few people read it, and it is only a small detail of what i am doing. I have and wanted help but then I shy away.

19. Wreybies

Why shy away? In sharing, we all improve.

20. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

I just feel that if people read it and think that I am an idoit, or they like it, I don't know. I feel so exposed. It's like getting out of the shower and finding a person standing there that you hardly know, looking at you. Bad example but you get the idea. I guess I don't know how to explain it. I just shy away. i am like that in life as well, shy away from help. i guess I think I can do it all on my won in one way or another.

21. Wreybies

Actually, that was a very visual and very visceral description of the feeling one gets when your writing is up for critique. If you can express yourself in the same manner in your writing, you're already a few paces ahead of the average Joe or Jane...

22. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

I explain things in a visual and speakable form. Maybe to mouthy. I just think that if people read, the few that have, critique it, and i get ideas from them in total 3 people have read any of it, how could I be a few paces ahead?

23. Lyssa

Lyssa New Member

Hm...looks like there's a little of both.

My friends know I write poetry....I even have one friend who LOVES reading it.....and others who know and support me.

My parents haven't got a clue, either. I don't see a reason to tell them, and it would embarass me. So...

24. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

my parents just crack a joke about it. Or saying that when I make millions that i will be able to pay them back all the money the spent while I grew up. I tell them the only way i will get published is if someone steals my laptop.

25. Carmina

I am lucky enough to have had parents, teachers, and friends growing up who supported my writing. I have no illusions that I am going to write the next Harry Potter type phenom. I write because I like it. I don't hide from anyone that that write. I don't stick my poems in people's faces either. I see no reason to hide an interest or a hobby from anyone. People may not share or understand the interest, but it is juevenile to make fun. Besides, I have WAY geekier hobbies than writing for people to tease me about.