Are you a 'secret' writer?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sophie., Apr 19, 2009.

1. Kratos

Kratos New Member

My parents know about my writing and try to support me, but I haven't showed them it, although I have talked a bit about the basic plot line with my dad. My friends know I want to be an author, but I've only showed my work to my girlfriend.

2. Lyssa

Lyssa New Member

Thats cool.

3. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

That is good you have support from your parents, I wanted to be a doctor and my dad said I wasn't smart enough. So I gave up. I have no idea what the grade score is now but I had a 4.0 straight A's. So I started to write. I told my kids that no matter what they want to be that they can do it if they put there mind to it

4. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

i was talking to my friend cutekid on the way home from school today and we were talking about what options we picked and what we want to be when were older and we both said we want to be an auther on the side of out full time job (if we get one) but neither of us new the other one wrote. dont oyu think thats odd?

5. Alone And Tired

Alone And Tired New Member

I only show a few people what I write currently because I have an incredible sense of paranoia about anything I do write. I always feel as if, when I let someone read anything I write, they are only saying what they think I want to hear whilst they secretly hate it or laugh at it. I may be wrong but I can't help it. Unfortunately, the majority of what I write is intended as lyrics to songs I'm working on (music is another thing I try to keep fairly private) so they'll need to be heard eventually.
    I have no problem posting here though. I guess it's because I don't suspect strangers of holding back as much haha

6. sophie.

sophie. New Member

^ same! Ha if you don't know the people, it's fine somehow.

7. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

People know I write but I've never let anyone read my stuff. Mostly because I never finish it, but also because I don't like it when something I make is in someone else's hands.
    I'll have fun if it comes to publishing! :p

8. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

I can't seem to keep anything a secret.....so yup everyone knows!

9. Lyssa

Lyssa New Member

Lol

My friends are a lot less critacle then my 'rents so....

10. g1ng3rsnap9ed

g1ng3rsnap9ed New Member

My close friends have known for a while, but I haven't told my family about my writings until this year. My father has been really supportive as with my step-mom, but my mother (who my jerk-hole brother told this to) doesn't seem as pleased with me as she claims to be. Ah well, you can't please everybody!

11. burned_out

burned_out New Member

Well. Yes, and no. My boyfriend won't read any of my things until I'm absolutely certain that I'm done. He says I never finish anything, so therefore he has to make sure I finish something.

My parents know I write. I've let some of my friends read my stuff. I have a good friend who has written an entire book in three weeks; hasn't been published yet; still editing, but its going to be good, cause I've read the manuscript! :)

12. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

No, I'm not a secret writer.

When I started my first novel a ways back, I told a few people what I was up to. But especially later on when I joined a crit group, and recruited friends and co-workers to read my work (I don't know the exact terms some writers use...alpha readers or beta readers?--I just call them readers) to give input before I made (and still make) final revisions and submit, it's difficult to be a secret writer.

Beyond that, I've had articles and short stories published, so it's nice to share those with folks I know.

Terry

13. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Everyone knows I write newsletters, freelance for newspapers and magazines, personalized children's books for birthdays/holidays, and that I'm working on my second novel. (The first is finished, but it's not ready for publication and I'm not sure it ever will be.)

However, I can count on one hand, with fingers left over, the people who connect my real-life self with romance novels or fetish erotica.

So, I suppose I'm a combination of secret and public writer.

14. WashingtonIrving

WashingtonIrving New Member

Well, to the extent that I am a writer at all, then if the internet doesn't count then yes, I am. I actually cannot imagine showing anything I'd written to a 'real' person, even if I was told that it was actually quite good.

15. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Eh, I don't go out of my way to say "'Ey, look at me! I WRITE POETRY AND SHORT STORIES AND GARBAGE LIKE THAT!"

But anyone who knows me knows I write.

16. Ragnar

Ragnar Member

People who I think can deal with the fact and truly understand that I am indeed serious have been told, with some exceptions. Mostly people I have not talked to lately because of them being far away.

17. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

I am a secret writer to those people I'm not really close with. The rest know exactly what I do.

18. Rosetta Stoned

Rosetta Stoned New Member

No one knows that I write. Which is why I have become nocturnal.

19. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

For the most part only a few people I actually know in person know I write.

Its not that I am afraid to tell anyone, its just that its never come up.

20. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Just like Unit7, only a few people but that's because the occasion has never shown up.

21. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

I would not necessarily say I am a secret writer. People are aware of the fact that I write, but I don't purposefully draw their attention to it, unless I know that they are really into it themselves.

I can relate to some of the people who say they are paranoid about their writing. I don't like discussing it face to face, because most people I know aren't into the kind of writing I do. While I am not really hurt by people "making fun" of me, I find that it is usually a hassle to deal with.

Also, the only short stuff I write is poetry, which most of my friends and family don't read, and I have yet to get more than a rough draft for any of my long stuff, so it's not like I have much to show people in the first place.

On the other hand, I post work to four or five writing forums, and enjoy discussing it online.