1. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

Are you a superstitious writer?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by cazann34, Feb 2, 2014.

Many writers are superstitious (I would count myself as one of them) and make an effort to keep their work in progress a secret, fearing that even voicing the plot can cause them to lose steam in the project. Are you a superstitious writer?

2. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

No, never knew there was such a superstition. I don't discuss WIP plots, but only just in case some picks it up and uses it. It wouldn't be really the same as mine, but annoying nonetheless.

I don't experience "losing steam" or writer's block. I write just as I would approach any other project and keep working at it until it is done.

3. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I don't talk about my projects but that has nothing to do with superstition. It's more like if I start telling people about it, I lose interest in writing it. It's like it's already been told. Plus I like the idea that no-one knows what the heck I'm writing, so when/if it is published I can surprise them. :D It happened with my first novel. People kind of thought I was writing about a certain thing, due to my past and experiences, so when they found out, everyone was amazed. THAT was probably the last thing they expected. :D

4. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I'm not superstitious whatsoever.

I don't always tell people if/when I'm writing something, but sometimes I do. What I've found though is that some people are immediately ready to offer you all these wild and wonderful suggestions, with the hope you will incorporate them into your story. That doesn't always work.

In all fairness, a couple of times such 'brainstorming' sessions have led to ideas for possible future works though.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm not superstitious period... in re writing, or anything else...

6. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

Nah, don't think I am. I do think I'm quite intuitive though, i.e. I get a gut feeling about something or a "vision," if you will, and then try to follow it to the best of my ability, but that's as far as my writing eccentricities go.

7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Not at all. I have only one superstition and it relates to driving. When I'm out and about getting stuff, I will never, ever call and say, "Hey, I got it." I'm afraid that having confirmed the getting of the whatever, this will invoke some impediment or catastrophe keeping me from getting home. Also, when I am traveling between houses (I have two, one on either side of the island) I never call to say I'm on my way until I pass the first toll station, same reason as before. :oops:

8. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

No. The only thing I have learnt is if you tell someone you're writing a book, they will inevitably ask you about said book without knowing or any understanding of the kinds of struggle writers go through, resulting in them trying to offer you well-meaning advice of: "But nothing is ever perfect!" or "You mustn't be afraid to write it!" or "Don't make it so long!"

The first 2 examples aren't so bad - it's only when such advice is given by someone without any real understanding of what you're really struggling through, though the advice itself might be good, it's hard to swallow because you're left thinking your friend just thinks you're a lazy arse but was too nice to tell it to your face.

I have also learnt talking about budding WIP means people will ask you about it, just to find out you've reached a point where you've decided perhaps you won't write it after all. It's awkward.

All in all, it's nothing to do with superstition. It's just not overly practical...

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm not superstitious. Superstitions are silly. I also don't discuss works in progress, but that's because they are in progress, in flux. And I don't need the distraction of them suggesting the ways they would write it.

They can assemble their own stories, regardless of whether they would ever actually write them.