Are you good friends with your characters?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Gheala_InFlacari, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Three

Three New Member

Wait, are you asking if I like them or if they like me? lol. I love all of my characters, and (though I am perfectly sound of mind) speak with them frequently. It helps an awful lot.

Do my characters like me though? Not really. Most of them are pretty indifferent towards me. My muse, however, despises me for all the stuff I've put him through. If he were real, and not just a figment of my imagination, he'd kill me in an instant. (We've discussed this.) As is, he's quite civil, and understanding of the fact that I simply adore him. :]

Replying to what somebody said way way back, it's not a skill you have to work hard to acquire, not in the least. All you've got to do is let go of your inhibitions and listen. Writing isn't nearly as hard as an awful lot of people make it out to be.

Oh and Kirvee, I have one piece of advice for you. Ask your mom. Seriously. I did and she actually gave me the perfect name (for my muse, coincidentally). You could also post a thread about it, explaining what you know about the character and asking for suggestions. I know I'd be happy to help. :D

Homygosh Gheala_InFlacari, is your protagonist Santa Claus!? lmao :D

2. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

One of the best advice I ever got on character creation was to model them on someone I knew well, so that instead of inventing a personality and inventing how they would react to situations, it was already done for me. Just imagine how someone you know well would react to different situations, and as you throw conflicts their way and watch them respond, you can document and record it instead of making it up.

Incidentally, I am friends with all of my charcters, even the bad ones:rolleyes:

3. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

For the main story I'm working on currently, I would have to say no! :p I actively dislike all four of the master characters for this particular story. The point is that they all possess traits including (but certainly not only) jejunity, manipulative tendencies, and even idiocy in some cases. That said, my characters do have minor redeeming qualities and thoughts which I can relate to.

You dont need to be friends with your characters, but if you cant relate to them, chances are no one else will be able to, either.

4. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

I see my main characters, although the heroine's hair color keeps switching between black and auburn. :rolleyes: I can't make up my mind on that one.

And no, I don't talk with them. That would be stepping over the line. :p They are merely puppets that my conscious & subconscious mind keep manipulating along w/the storyline.

5. Marloy

Marloy New Member

Funny you ask, my characters are like my best friends in the world. After I first created my two main characters in this developing story I've had for about three or four years, I've inevitably fallen into a state of constant daydreaming of them, every night. Haha, it's very weird. I do talk to them in a subconscious sort of way, but they talk to me more than anything.

Let's say we have a great relationship and we're never, ever breaking up. :D

6. Rosetta Stoned

Rosetta Stoned New Member

I usually end up loving the antagonists and hating the protagonists.

Makes things interesting.

7. Three

Three New Member

I usually solve that problem by having my Protagonists be psychotic and evil. I can't write about somebody who doesn't interest me completely. They're fictional anyway, so do it up. :]

8. Tomaz

Tomaz New Member

I very rarely properly picture or have conversations with my characters, but I often find certain characters tend to comment on things that happen in my life every now and then. I’ve been working on a main project for about seven months now - I can’t tell you how many sly remarks my big-headed and sarcastic protagonist has made about little things in my life. Sometimes it just happens, sometimes I deliberately think how he’d react to certain things. It definitely helps. :)

9. Ansky

Ansky New Member

Not really. There are characters I've created that I really like, but I wouldn't call them good friends and I don't talk to them because they're characters. Sometimes I'll be writing something and I'll realize that it's not consistent with the character's behavior but I don't realize that because I hear the character telling me that in my head, it's just because I realize it. Maybe it's a common thing, but the idea of actually carrying on a conversation with/arguing with my characters is foreign to me.

10. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Ha! i don't even need to speak with them -they get in my head and i just type what comes up! Its the wirdest feelign when you look at ten pages on microsoft word and you have no idea what got into you . . .

11. Xatron

Xatron New Member

Way to go, bumping up 4 year old threads...

12. evelon

evelon Active Member

It's still a relevant subject today, so why not?

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Unlike Manti Te'o, I don't make friends with imaginary people.

A character is a creation of your imagination. It has no existence of its own. You would do well to remember that every action, ever utterance by your character is your own doing.

14. Xatron

Xatron New Member

You watch your tongue sir when you talk about Manti. Go Irish!!!