are you unique?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CelineDionRox, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

I agree with Cog. I'm far more comfortable just being myself. I'm a lot less shy than I used to be, though. And I'd rather just be by myself than work to fit into a crowd.
    Which is why I'm on the internet so often. ;)

I also find that shame is something not worth having. I'm not ashamed of who I am or what I do/have done. What I think or feel.
    I think a lot of having to fit in is feeling ashamed of yourself for not doing so naturally.

2. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

I think people are sometimes too quick to try and solidify 'I' - to decide whether we're the round peg or the square one and which holes we do and don't fit into (no pun intended those of you with dirty minds :rolleyes:). We like to catagorise ourselves. We forget that 'outsider' is a catagory too.

At the end of the day we're all awkward at some point and changing daily. We learn something and it may well change us completely, for better or worse. Looking back it's easy to see that 'I' is a constantly changing thing but so long as I always do what the 'I' of the moment believes is right, I'm happy.

Sometimes I fit, sometimes I don't. But I'm always just me. Maybe it's better to think of ourselves as putty rather then stone. :p

3. Raven

Raven Banned

I don't care whether I fit in or not. I don't even care what fok think about me, as long as they don't say it to my face.

If I'm odd then good been odd is unique.

Things have changed a great deal in the years that have passed but some folk are still narrow minded and can't accept change or things that are different. well I say Tuff.

I certainly wont change to please the masses. I have my wife and kids and dogs. And thats all I need.

I certainly don't care what folk think of me and I certainly wont change to fit in.

We are who we are, because we are who we are.

4. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

Once you start "hanging out" with anyone, you've automatically fitted yourself in somewhere.

Plenty of times. But they're probably secretly thinking the same things.

5. destinationless

destinationless New Member

Everyone has something unique about them, but the key word here is -everyone-. I dont think I'm any more special, better, or more unique than anyone else on this planet.

At the same time, if I've done something that I'm proud of, I'm not going to keep my mouth shut either. (All in moderation.)

I suppose a legitimate reason as to why someone thinks that one person is 'better' than another is how well they market said skill.

So yes, I'm unique. But I dont walk around with that "Woe is me; I'm so misunderstood" mentality -or- the "I'm so much cooler / better / smarter than you" mentality either, because everyone else is too. ;)

...To answer from a different, emotional perspective: Sometimes I dont feel like I fit in because of the company I'm in or the location I'm in, but I dont have a problem with it at all; I enjoy it. I love to hear other people's perspectives.

-D

6. andersonkyle

andersonkyle New Member

the thing is as someone has said above, everyone's unique. but to consider that you have to consider everything they do. and when i say everything i mean everything!!!
    but if u think of general everyday matters such as choice of movie or music or book genre or choice of type of holiday destinations, then yes i have been crossed at every point by my peers. but i don't think i am unique in those matters. there are loads of people who like same type of movies music and books like me, its just that i haven't met many of them in my part of the world. culture also affects the way people think. advertisements, magazines, tv shows, they all bend the mentality of people towards similar things. now its up to u what you'll choose. to follow those general trends or no to. so in that case it seems that whether you're unique or not depends on the choices u make, as does everything else.

7. Frost

Frost Active Member

I dont think unique exists. Society won't allow it.

8. Rio Moss

Rio Moss New Member

Difficult to be unique in a globalized world.
    You'll always overlap with some people for some aspects.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

But unless ALL your traits correspond to those in someone else, you are unique.
    Therefore, ll it takes is one trait not shared with anyone else to make you unique.
    Even identical twins have distinct fingerprints.

QED: Everyone is unique.

10. Azrael

Azrael New Member

I agree fully there.

11. Scarlett_156

Scarlett_156 Active Member

Am I unique? Perish the thought! ;)

12. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I don't get what the whole thing is about being unique or part of the crowd or whatever. People who do not hang with a certain crowd say that crowd are all copies and they are "unique". People in the crowd say the others are "strange". They both treat the other as though they are wrong, or at least at school at the moment.

I am me, whether that is unique, individual, strange or a little fluffy sheep. Just me.

13. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member

My ego is unique, but my biology is pretty similar to most other people.

14. Ennui

Ennui New Member

Everyone is speculative in their own demeanour,we of course cannot have an analogy,everyone is divergent and unique.I won't be humiliated if I don't fit in.

15. Mariami

Mariami New Member

Yeah, I consider myself special.

In my sociaty, at least. I speak 4 languages at 15, love philosophy, don't believe in love or God, am not waiting for a prince in shining armor to come, save me and only depend on myself.

I know it's not really 'special' by your standards...but every time I mention being atheist/existentialist with my friends present, they look at me like I have grown another head.

P.S. Forgot to say, my ego...it's very special about me. Big enough to block the sun, they say.

16. Frost

Frost Active Member

Why not love? Good train that one. Get on it.

What languages do you speak?

17. Mariami

Mariami New Member

English, Russian, French and Georgian (my mother tongue).

18. Frost

Frost Active Member

Wow nice mix. Where does the French come from? Sorry I just get really interested when people can speak more than one language. Wish I could.

19. Mariami

Mariami New Member

Well...a year ago, when I stopped taking English lessons, mom decided I had too much free time and told me to sign up for private french classes...And so french it is...*shrugs* Languages are pretty easy to learn if you have a good teacher so I don't mind it, much.

20. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

languages are fun. so is being unique.

i was born and grew up incredibly average, and i am today quite average. because of that, half of my decisions are based on whether or not it's expected. for example, it's expected that someone like me would want a '67 Ford Mustang (and it used to be so, that i wanted one). therefore, i've decided i'd much rather own a late 70s Cadillac, because it's completely unexpected.

being unique is never a bad thing. but then, i'm from america. (i just got back from the 'land where opinions are illegal' though, too, so i'm still reveling in the blatant intellectual freedoms)

21. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

There are traits every member of our species shares, every member of our race, culture, society, peer group. There are things that we share with some but not all members of the afreomentioned groups. There are things that maybe only a few share. We have interests talents, dislikes and likes that some people share with us and some don't. It is the combination that is unique. We have ideas aboutsocial norms, cultural norms, the idea of "average." These are just to group together those who share a lot of common traits. It is easier that way to relate to people. To think of everyone having millions of unique characteristics is a bit overwhelming. The danger is when we start to see those who don't fit into our safe vision of "normal" as frightening or dangerous. I personally emrace all my idiosyncracies and those of all around me. We are all marvelously complex individuals.

22. Emerald

Emerald New Member

Always remember, kiddies: you are completely unique, just like everyone else.

Anyway, introspective writers are such a cliche. They aren't unique at all :p