1. Jodhi

Jodhi New Member

argh! it's running away with itself!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Jodhi, Feb 4, 2014.

I guess this isn't altogether a bad thing as my plot was non existent earlier today.

The other week I sat down in my son's playgroup and, whilst he ran about, created an entire world in which my story takes place. It went a bit fantasy, I wasn't intending it to, but that's what it took form as and I'm happy with where it went.

Now, my plot. I've got a general idea of what is going on at the start of the story, but not sure where it should go from here. I've been writing this afternoon whilst the kids are at school/pre-school and it seems to be just coming out! I've got my Evernote up and it's all muddled and I suspect, should someone else look at it, they will be super confused. It's currently a fantasy based story of environmental disaster and racial oppression - heavy! This has evolved swiftly!

I'm wondering whether I should go with my initial idea and write the first few chapters of the story, take a break and edit, then go back to it with fresh eyes. I'm not wanting to completely wing it as this will be my first major work (eeeekk) so need to have some idea of where things will end up. On the other hand, I seem to be doing OK with simply letting my brain relieve itself of everything I've been wanting to write for the past 15 years!

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Why change what seems to be working so well? I would say keep doing what you're doing until it quits working - then try something else (or just modify).

3. easyhell

easyhell New Member

I'd say that if you have the inspiration, run with it!. Sometimes I find it better to just type away rather than sit back and reread.

4. Red Herring

Red Herring Member

If you're inspired then I'd suggest to just write the whole thing, or at least one concluded arc, and then go back with fresh eyes when you're done.

5. Jodhi

Jodhi New Member

than you :) everyone's different i guess! i tend to be a sporadic writer, i'll write loads in one day and then can't do anything for a few days. my boyfriend has suggested i draw up a kind of storyboard. (bless him, he might not be a reader but he's very helpful and supportive). i've got a notebook with me all the time and i collect things on pinterest and stuff so i can envisage what i want to write. if that makes sense. i do love the process, very exciting!