Asili Reborn

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Love to Write, Jun 30, 2012.

1. SpitFyre

SpitFyre Member

Arthur Jones

Damn these guys were fast, Arthur raced through the darkened streets trying to avoid the pursuit he had used every trick in the book to get away from then but they kept up with him too easily, Fine time to play dirty. Arthur dodged off down a dark alleyway reaching into his pocket as he did so. as he reached the center of the ally he threw down the bunch of caltrops nasty little 4 spiked objects made so however they landed one point always stuck up. Arthur growled as he threw them down he used to have a fine set made of dark metal he had to carve these out of wood however they had their perks the wooden ones would shatter as they dug into flesh leaving an inch long dowel embedded in peoples feet.

As he reached the end of the ally he looked back and saw the first two pursuers run over the spot then collapse screaming in pain, He smiled then frowned as the other three used their two fallen comrades as stepping stones to get over the trap they barely broke stride. Arthur took off again and scrambled up a rusting drainpipe as he reached the top he stood for a second listening and heard the telltale sounds of scrabbling. He reached into his pocket again drawing out a large glass vial. "Dammit i hate using this stuff il likely never find more of it now."

Two of the black ones heads popped above the ledge of the roof and grinned to see the old one sat on a chimney smoking a pipe waiting, it wasn't often prey waited for their deaths, they clambered onto the roof standing side by side ignoring the sticky substance coating their arms and feet, the old one grinned "keep warm boys" he flicked his wrist sending the embers of his pipe to their feet, the world exploded in fire and they knew no more.

Arthur looked down at the smoking rooftop and the two bodies still burning "Hell i forgot how fun naphtha can be ive got to find more of that stuff" he looked behind him and saw the last one standing about two meters away "Shame you didn't climb up there your friends seemed to enjoy the warmth" the man thing snarled and stepped closer. Arthur grinned just a little closer. it took another step and pounced flinging a roof tile as it did so. The tile cracked into Arthur's shoulder causing him to gasp and fall to his knees. He smiled grimly as he heard a shriek followed by a loud clattering crash, He looked up seeing the large hole in the roof, idiot even a boy thief could tell that roof was too weak for a starling to sit. Arthur stood clutching his shoulder and looked down the dark hole he could hear a weak moaning he smiled mockingly "When shall we two meet again in thunder, lightning, or in rain? When the hurlyburly 's done,When the battle 's lost and won" He stood looking down for a second "Bastard!". Arthur turned and clambered down from the roof and made his long limping way back to the caravan.

2. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

Roy Towns

The last few days had been bad. First Roy had almost run into a rat den, he hated the ugly things, then the last of the food ran out the day before last. He'd been chewing on bark and roots for the last few hours, but it did nothing to sate his hunger. Ulysses panted next to him as he walked through the desolated landscape. He looked down at him and smiled.

"At least I still got you buddy," He scratched the Shepard behind his ears.

They were headed east, away from the devastated ruins of Debuque, Iowa. You wouldn't think anyone would care enough about Iowa to blow it up, but apparently someone did. Go figure. Roy didn't even want to think about what Chicago would be like. He wasn't far now though. He had caught a glimpse of Lake Michigan from earlier that morning before descending into a basin.

As he walked, he scanned the ground in front of him, searching for any signs of humanity. For the last six months, ever since the bombing stopped. He hadn't seen a soul. He couldn't remember how he had survived, the whole thing was a hazy blur. But one memory stood crystal clear in his mind, haunting his dreams: The sirens were going off, planes flying overhead, explosions rattling everything, Ulysses barking from the passenger seat. . He was speeding home from the jobsite in his pickup, minutes from home. A plane flew directly overhead, the roar of it's engines rattling Roy's windows. It flew right over his neighborhood. He saw the bomb drop, felt his stomach fall with it.

Then everything was fire and smoke. His truck was flipped by the shockwave. He awoke a few minutes later, his head bleeding and staggered out of his truck. Eventually, he worked his way through the wreckage to his house. It was mostly gone, along with his wife. And his son.

After that, everything went black. Next thing he remembered was waking up in a drainage pipe with Ulysses licking his face.

The two of them had wandered the countryside, scavenging, searching for survivors. So far, they hadn't seen a soul, and Roy was beginning to wonder if they ever would, when he stumbled across a wide swath of footprints, all headed the same direction. His heart leapt, was it possible that they were really that close to other people? Ulysses was snuffling along the trail, his tail wagging cautiously.

"Alright Boy, lets see where this takes us." Roy said and began following the track.

A few hours later, he figured he had covered a good amount of ground. The trail was heading closer and closer to the lake, so even if it didn't pan out, it was still going the way he wanted to. But just then, he heard something. It sounded remarkably similar to a voice. God, how long had it been since he heard another living voice. Ulysses ears pricked, and he uttered a low grown.

"Easy boy." Roy reassured him, and moved off the path. He led the way to a small hill and slowly worked his way to the top, Ulysses by his side. As he approached the top, he dropped to his stomach and crawled the rest of the way. Can never be to careful. The sight that greeted him below took his breath, a few dozen people, all gathered together, pitching tents, preparing food, working together. They didn't look dangerous. The majority were just regular looking people.

"Ulysses, looks like we're not alone after all." Roy said aloud. He stood up and began walking down the hill. He had little to lose at this point.

"Hey down there!" He called and waved his arms. "Hello!"

3. Fan7asticMrFox

Fan7asticMrFox Contributor Contributor

Doctor Sophie Martins

”…I want you to tell me the truth. I want you to tell me it now. Understood?”

The insufferable madman raised his knife to her throat and pressed firm. Sophie watched the droplets of her own blood roll down the cool silver before diving off the tip. Memories of her interrogation training came flooding back, but without the safe word. She never needed it, though it had always been comforting to know it was there. This was the real deal. And he was a real maniac.

“Your silence will not help you.” He said. A quick bend of the knees and they were eye to eye, his glinting emeralds versus her deep azures. Sophie broke first as his stare bore into her soul, and she had to look away. “No, no my dear. I am over here.” Makari grabbed at her face, clutching her jaw and cheeks in one hand, turning her with force. Sophie’s resistance did little and once again their eyes met. The green sparkled with madness and his vodka layered breath was thick, almost choking her.

Through her tiny squished face she whispered, “Why do you care about life before the nuke?” His hand slipped away, a small recognition to her obedience. Sophie chose her words carefully; she knew she couldn’t give anything away. “The old world is gone, what is left of it is all around us. Broken and lifeless.” And it was. The fading light of the day edged around the shop window, revealing the shattered glass, the odd crisp packet spread about and the empty shelves, dusted and dirty. This world was in ruins and all the fool could think about was agencies that didn’t stand the test of time. Even the rusted chair she found herself tied to had a missing leg, replaced by two empty paint cans.

“Why do you delude yourself with such irrelevant novelties!?” She almost laughed as the words formed, like a nervous twitch. Silence echoed around the store as she waited for a reply. But it did not come; his eyes were entranced, darting across the room, wild and wide open. His focus was no longer on her and in his fear the grip on the blade tightened, cutting deeper. “Please listen, there is no KGB anymore.” She begged.

Returning to reality, Makari stood and leaned on the crumbling counter, arms crossed and staring hard. Moments turned to minutes and Sophie searched him for a response, a motion – anything. Finally a smile crept across his face and he pushed away from the counter, ready to give his verdict. “I don’t believe you.”

“Please! You have to listen to me. We are surviving for ourselves now – me and those others.” Her chest beat quicker than ever, and with every step the madman took towards her, more panic set in. Sophie couldn’t control herself and with Makari looming large over, she let out a few quiet whimpers.

“Shhh, it’s alright…” His hand rested on her cheek, wiping away a tear. Her blue eyes locked down to the ground; her breathing frantic. “…please, don’t fret...” She watched as his shadow moved around her. His hand slid down her arm, his fingers slithering across her rope ties. Their hands touched, and a shiver colder than ice froze her in place. Lips passed over her ear, “…this won’t hurt a bit.”

The knife flickered. The doctor screamed. The blood splashed. The finger dropped.

4. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Kyra Shade

Kyra dumped her contents onto the sickly grass, rummaging through her findings. Her work had paid off. She had made her way into an apartment building that another woman must of lived in. Her findings included a pack of bobbypins, a hairbrush, hairpick, nail clippers, a few bottles of messy nailpolish, old makeup, and the best of all was a box of unused haircolor. It was a brunette color that she wouldn't dare try, but it may come in handy sometime. Some other more practical things she found, like a toothbrush, she didn't take for granted either.

As she happily looked through her pile, she was soon interrupted by a yell from above.

"Hey down there!"
    a voice called, "Hello!"

Kyra shaded her eyes from the setting sun as she looked up to where the voice had come from. On the hill, a form of a person was waving their arms excitedly. She couldn't make out the face behind the sun, but by the sound of the voice it was obviously a man.

After quickly gathering up her things and stuffing them in her bag, she ran up to Samantha. Nudging her in the shoulder, she pointed with a smile. "Guy alert!"

5. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Samantha Hazel

Samantha was cooking some stew over a small fire when she felt someone poke her shoulder. "Guy alert!" Kyra had the look of a girl with an extreme crush.
    He came the down the hill stepping into the light of the larger fire in the center of the caravan. He had a scar reaching from his left eye to his chin. Samantha could almost fell the excitement disspelling from Kyra like a balloon. Dissapointment that he wasn't a cute teen taking it's place.
    Of course this was all in Samantha's head but she couldn't help but feel a small amount of satisfaction that the annoying woman wasn't going to find a cute guy here after all. The man looked estatic that he had found civilization. A dirty dog bounded up next to him, also excited about all the new smells and people.

She took the food off the fire and walked over to him. "Hey. You look hunger. Want some dinner?"

6. Love to Write

Colonel Matt Garter

Colonel Matt Garter held his solar gun in the air to avoid accidently shooting one of his comrades. Lockie and the two other vollunteers, John and Terrance, flanked the door to a very run down cabin. He heard voices inside. One was definitly a woman's. He couldn't see through the windows so he couldn't tell what was going on.
    Suddenly a scream peirced his ears. He didn't wait a second longer. He smashed a foot through the old door, splinters flying everywhere. Sophie, the one who had been accusing him of a god-complex the night before, was tied to a chair crying, blood running off her hand. A crazy looking man with a bloodied knife stood behind her.
    "Drop the knife and put your hands in the air! NOW!" Garter yelled at him aiming his gun.

7. Pheonix

Roy Towns

"Hey. You look hungry. Want some dinner?"

Roy was dumbfounded. This was the first contact he'd had with people for months, and now, A young blond girl was offering him food totally nonchalantly. It was surreal.

"Um... yeah. Thanks." He said, and somewhat awkwardly took the bowl, unsure as to what exactly was going on. Another young woman was sitting there, she looked totally disinterested, and was fusing with a pile of trash at her feet. Roy was having a hard time understanding. "My name is Roy, Roy Towns. And this is Ulysses, my dog," Ulysses ears perked up, "We've been walking for months, all the way from Montana, haven't seen a soul. Even since the bombings that is." He felt the involuntary furrow form in his brow. Memories flooded back to them, but he pushed them aside, just glad to finally have found other people.

"I'm just amazed to have finally found someone, and so many of you too..." He gazed around at the encampment. Several dozen people at least were all gathered here together. "What is this, a convoy or something? Where you headed?" He asked as he took a spoonful of the stew and promptly shoveled it down his throat. He couldn't believe how good it was; but then, he hadn't eaten anything but tree bark and roots for the last two days, so anything hot, warm and mostly edible was bound to be the best dang thing he'd ever had.

Still in a slight stupor, he waited for a response and took another spoonful of stew.

8. Love to Write

Samantha Hazel

"You've been alone this whole time!? Oustanding you survived this long." Roy nodded but his face was full of food so she continued to answer his questions. "Um, yeah. We're actually two combined caravans. We pick up whoever we come across on the way. We're headed to a place called Asili. The rumor is, is that it's the only strip of land completly untouched by the war. We can start anew there. Or at least thats the rumor. Alot of people don't really believe it but we want to. We all need something to hope in right now."

9. Pheonix

Roy Towns

"We all need something to hope in right now."

Roy was amazed, for two reasons. First, there might be a place untouched by the war. Second, the stew was gone and it hadn't even been a minute. He looked down at his bowl, a bit guilty.

"Hope's all that's kept me going the last six months. Believe me, It wasn't easy. I've seen some stuff you wouldn't believe, but... where's this supposed paradise at?" He asked. All of this was almost to much for him to handle. He couldn't believe it was possible.

"And who's in charge here?" He added as an afterthought. Someone must be in charge of all these people.

10. Love to Write

Samantha Hazel

"Supposedly, Asili is somewhere between New York and Maine. It's supposed to be a huge place. Hard to miss. We're getting close. As for whose in charge, there is a guy named Jaxo leading one and Colonel Garter leading the other. Though to be honest, Jaxo's been doing more hiding than leading. He's just as terrified as us. Coward. Hiding behind the muscles of his cronies." Samantha reliezed she was pouting and put back on a plesant face. She noticed his empty bowl and refilled it with what was left after filling herself and the annoying pink-highlighted blond a bowl.
    The dog came over and nudged her and she lay the nearly empty pot under his nose. He immediatly attacked it and Samantha began to worry that he might start eating the metal.
    "So, what's your dog's name?"

11. Pheonix

Roy Towns

And then she brought him more food. It was amazing.

"So, what's your dog's name?"

"Ulysses. After the general." He responded. Ulysses was to busy attacking the metal pot to notice that his name he even been said. "I got him when he was only a few weeks old, he used to ride to work with me everyday." The dog really had been his only constant companion, and even the thought of losing was to much to think about.

The girl nodded, she looked amused at Ulysses antics with the pot.

"So, there's two leaders? How does that work out?" He couldn't imagine things running to smoothly like that. "But it sounds like this Colonel Garter is the man I want to talk to. Where can I find him?"

12. Love to Write

Samantha Hazel

Before Samantha could answer Roy's question, noise erupted from the far edge of the camp. Garter marched in with a crazy looking man in energy cuffs. He sat the man at the edge of the fire, guestured for two people to watch him then helped Lockie lay Sophie in a nearby tent. She dashed over, and stepped inside the tent. Sophie's face was pale and she was in obvious pain. Samantha immediatly saw that Sophie's hand was bleeding profusely, covered only by a dirty peice of cloth. She immeditaly grabbed a blanket and began to tear it to make a better bandage. "Oh my gosh! Sophie, what happened!?"

13. JessWrite

Kyra Shade

Kyra stared dumbfounded as Samantha ran off without another word. She had continued rummaging through her stuff, but secretly had been listening in on her conversation with the man. Pausing only to sip some of the stew Samantha had brought her. The girl definitely knew how to kiss-up to strangers.

She stood up at the sound of commotion in the camp, it was obviously something serious. But, it had been something that was not her doing, so it could wait. Turning to the man who held his bowl awkwardly, she smiled at him. She lightly batted her eyes that were now covered in fresh mascara.

"You must excuse my friends rude retreat. I'm Kyra, what's your name?"

14. Pheonix

"You must excuse my friends rude retreat. I'm Kyra, what's your name?"

Roy was so distracted by the commotion that he barely even noticed when the other girl walked up.

"Um... Roy," he said distractedly. Ulysses heard had popped up and he was watching everything happening with interest. Roy turned his attention to the girl in front of him. She was pretty, but she looked like she was maybe 20. Maybe. And had pink highlights. The last few minutes had been very confusing for Roy. But, he extended his hand, just because the world had fallen to crap around them didn't mean common courtesy had disappeared to. Still though, he was curious about the scene unfolding at the edge of the camp.

"What do you suppose is happening over there?" He asked, again focused away from the overly friendly girl. "Oh, and what was your name?" He asked as an after thought. "And what In god's name happened to your hair?"

15. JessWrite

Kyra Shade

"Um... Roy," he responded, but stared away as if not interested.

Kyra sighed, twirling her hair around her finger. The guys around here had no good taste at all, except for food. Back home a man would be drooling at her feet if she had even uttered a word. She must be getting rusty at her flirtatious motives.

With that thought, Roy extended his grubby hand looking back to her.

"What do you suppose is happening over there?" he asked, again focused away from her. "Oh, and what was your name? And what in god's name happened to your hair?"

Kyra frowned, letting his hand hang in the air. He would have to work harder than that.

"I have no idea. Maybe something someone did that caused someone else to do something out of spite. Lots of action around here all of the time. You missed a bloody rat battle." She grinned at him, "And, my name is Kyra Shade. I'm a hairstylist, which explains my hair. Haven't gotten a good dye in awhile." She ran her fingers through her locks for emphasis, "Looks like you could use a cut sometime too."

16. Snowmantheory

Snowmantheory New Member

Panic, fear, homeliness. What do I feel the most? Oh how I love this old feeling! I play along with the little act. Raising my open palms.

"Me and little Doctor Sophie were just getting acquainted... Why ruin our friendship now?"

I glance at Garter, the cuffs keeping me at bay. Spit bombs to the ground in disgust.

"Alright, enough of this. Where are you taking me?"

17. Pheonix

Roy Towns

Well, common courtesy might have been a bit confused that day too. She just let his hand hang there. He put it back at his side, slightly offended, but also amused. This girl reminded him of one of his nieces, entitled, spoiled, and haughty. But for some reason he had liked her, and wondered if she was still out there for a minute.

"And, my name is Kyra Shade. I'm a hairstylist, which explains my hair. Haven't gotten a good dye in awhile, looks like you could use a cut sometime too."

He touched his hair. His approved method of trimming it was hacking at it with his hunting knife and hoping that he didn't get his ear. He couldn't imagine what it looked like.

"A hairstylist eh? I see. Well, nice to meet you." He said. "I don't know how putting pink stripes in your hair ever got stylish, but, thats not my problem I guess. Oh, and knock off making eyes at me missy. I'm old enough to be your father, well, if i'd gotten going early..." His conversation skills were perhaps a tiny little bit rusty. "I'm gonna go find out what's going on over there. C'mon Ulysses!" He snapped his fingers and the dog let the metal pot he'd been gnawing on drop and was at his side the next instant.

"Aren't you at least curious? Your friend seemed to take off pretty fast when they got here." He called back to Kyra as he walked.

18. Fan7asticMrFox

Fan7asticMrFox Contributor Contributor

Doctor Sophie Martins

The pain woke her. She had passed out from it and now the pain tugged at her hand, and sent a throbbing up her and through her body. Her eyes couldn’t recognise where she was, a thick clad of patched leather and wood surrounding her. It was so unfamiliar, yet she knew she was safe. Anywhere away from that abandoned store, with the empty shelves and that three legged chair was safe. Just the thought of it was enough to make her whimper, and then his face popped into her mind. The scream threw shivers around the camp, while the image hovered in front of her like a vision.

She couldn’t escape it, and her thoughts were hazy and the room began to spin. Had she been poisoned? A possibility, but she couldn’t comprehend it right now. Perhaps the rust from the blade.

Samantha’s voice hugged the air, ”Oh my gosh! Sophie, what happened!?” She tried to answer but the words did not form, breathing was hard enough. Still, Sophie showed her strength of mind and slowly raised her untouched hand, placing it delicately on Samantha’s arm. And when Sophie felt the smooth, warm embrace of flesh, she gave a smile. Enough to say ’I’ll be ok.’

The haze of her mind took over and she passed out once more.

19. JessWrite

Kyra Shade

"Aren't you at least curious? Your friend seemed to take off pretty fast when they got here." Roy called back to her, his curiosity moving his feet.

She followed behind him at a leisurely pace, wondering where this man had come from. He had just popped out from nowhere, yet was as talkative as all get out. Must've been loner for awhile, she thought. She'd take advantage of that.

"Not really," she replied, "That girl gets excited about anything. Most what happens around here is just a waste of my time."

With that said, she still sped up to keep in sync with Roy's quick walking. "Oh, and believe me, you are way younger than my father was. My adopted one, anyway."

Staring down at her dirty boots, memories of her adopted parents played in her mind. At eleven years old, the day they had taken her away had been the happiest one of her life. The gifts they showered on her, their calm voices, their warm hugs when they told her good night. She still couldn't believe they were gone, had died after only seven years of calling her their own. They hadn't had to experience the bombings, but Kyra wished she could've said good-bye. When she had gotten the phone call reporting they had died at the scene of a car accident, that had almost felt worse than the bombings.

Even the money they had left her couldn't make up for the time lost. She could have all of the stuff in the world, but someone to love...that couldn't be bought. Yet, she still tried to hook guys in any way she could.

20. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Bee

Bee sat in the bush as still as she could. With a small flutter a bird landed a few feet away. Bee licked her lips, this would be tasty. It started pecking the ground slowly turning. As it turned away from her Bee sat up. Quietly as she could she krept towards it. She was inches away, her claws ready to skewer the thing.

Then it turned back around spotting her.

With a coo it took off into the air, flying out of reach. But Bee wasn't about to give up that easily, claws out she leapt onto a tree and started climbing. The bird moved away and Bee followed suit, jumping from branch to branch in persuit. Her claws and tail made the task easier, but following a bird that could fly was still no easy task. Bee pushed on leaping fast as she could. The trees were thinning now. Bee had to jump further with each tree.

The bird broke the tree line as Bee leapt towards it. She flew through the air, colliding with the bird as the trees ended. Bird in hand she fell downwards expecting ground. With a bounce she landed on the roof of a strange building, it was like a house made of sheets. Bee jumped up enjoying the bounce before spotting something in the distance. It looked like a group of bears, but they didn't have fur, and they were smaller. Mabye they weren't bears?

Bee jumped of the bouncey thing and headed towards the not-bears. There were more of the sheet houses here. Bee sniffed the scent of food filling her nose. Stealthily she followed it, crawling under the bottom of one of the sheet houses and inside. On a crate someone had left a bowl of food. Checking about for anything Bee started eating it.

21. Pheonix

Roy Towns

"Oh, and believe me, you are way younger than my father was. My adopted one, anyway."

That went a long way to explaining this young woman. Without even knowing the details, Roy felt sorry for her. Her voice had softened for a moment and he could tell she really missed her family. And the trauma of having been raised by people she knew weren't really her family must have been hard, no matter how wonderful her adoptive parents were. Roy had lived with an aunt and uncle for most of his childhood, his father was a drunk and his mother had left when he was small. It had been hard, he vowed to never be like his father. So he never drank, and he never smoked. He had lived the best way he could, and his life had been good. He had had a lovely wife, Jessie, and a son, Robert. He had loved them, still loved them. But they were gone and it was like a hole the size of the rocky mountains in his chest. It was always there, and never went away. He had started to get used to the emptiness though, to deal with it.

But he felt compassion for the poor, confused and lost girl who was following him. All that from a few words. He had been away from people to long...

"You're entitled to your opinion," He said. "But that doesn't mean mine is gonna change. Now let's see whats going on up here." He continued towards the far edge of the camp. There was a man with mad eyes, darting about here and there, sitting by the fire, bound in energy cuffs. He smiled at Roy, it was a smile wrought with mania.

"Is Colonel Garter here?" He asked one of the men guarding the mad man. He pointed to the tent that the other young woman had run into. As he did so, a scream rang through the camp. Ulysses jumped. It had come from the tent. Roy, with Kyra and Ulysses in tow, strode over to it, one of the flaps was tied open, and inside he saw two men and the girl from before standing over another woman who's hand was bleeding, bad.

"Oh my god! Is there anything I can do to help?" He blurted out on instinct, because that was just the kind of guy he was.

22. Love to Write

Samantha Hazel

Sophie had grabbed her arm. Her eyes full of terror and yet a smile that was meant to be reassuring. Then she passed out. She getting colder and Samantha worried that if an infection set in she would die.
    "She's going to be ok. I'll find Dr. Fox and send him in here to check on her." The colonel placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder and helped lift her to her feet. Suddenly someone burst in behind her.

"Oh my god! Is there anything I can do to help?" It sounded like the new comer, Roy. Samantha couldn't answer. Her throat tightened as she tried not to cry.

"No. What we need is space. A doctor will take care of her. For now, please keep your distance." Colonel Garter said turning to Roy.

Samantha walked out of the tent, aiming herself towards a tree that she could practice her martial arts on.

Colonel Matt Garter

Garter escorted the man with the scar, worse than his own over his left eye, out of the tent and towards the campfire. He spoke to someone nearby and asked them to fetch Dr. Evan Fox. They sped off and Garter returned his attention to the man and held out a hand.
    "I'm Colonel Matt Garter of the U.S. Army. I don't recognize you. Are you from the other caravan?"

23. Pheonix

Roy Towns

"I'm Colonel Matt Garter of the U.S. Army. I don't recognize you. Are you from the other caravan?"

"No, the name's Roy, Roy Towns." He said as he shook the Colonel's hand. He immediately noticed the mans height, at least 7 foot, and looking up at him was a strain on the neck. He had a kind look in his eye thought. Roy felt like this was a man born to lead, inspiring of confidence. He felt like he could trust him. "Me and my dog Ulysses have been wandering the wilds ever since the bombings, trying to find someone, anyone. Until this morning, we hadn't seen a soul. Then I stumbled across this outfits trail and followed it back here. Colonel, I cannot tell you how glad I am to have found this caravan. I was starting to worry that I was the last man in the world." Roy said.

"I'd like to tag along with this caravan. From what I've seen, you seem like a good bunch of people. I'm willing to help out in whatever way I can."

24. Love to Write

Colonel Matt Garter

"Absolutely. I'm not the type of man to leave someone behind. If you'll excuse me, I need to make my rounds and make sure everyone is here." He glanced over at the crazy prisoner sitting by the fire.
    "And I need to find a way to deal with him." He nodded to Roy and began walking the camp, counting heads. When he finished he found everyone was here, plus two people. Roy, and the kidnapper whose name he hadn't yet gotten.

Garter went over to the prisoner lifted him to his feet and took him to the far side of the camp where no one could really see them. He sat the man down, put his gun on his lap and began building a fire. The man seemed nervous...good. Hopefully he would be able to figure out what his problem was.

There was a silence between them for a few more minutes as Garter cooked some stew in a pot. When it was done he poured it in two bowls and handed one to the prisoner. However, the amount of food in the prisoner's bowl was only enough to wet his appetite.
    "Eat. Then I want you to tell me why you kidnapped an innocent woman, and cut off her finger."

25. JessWrite

Kyra Shade

Kyra had managed to sneak a peek over Roy's shoulder and had been shocked to see that the commotion had been about the woman, Sophie. The first thing she noticed was a cloth wrapped around her hand, dyed a unmistakable bright red.

She had continued to watch in silence until the army man pulled Roy aside and Samantha shoved past her. Kyra didn't completely understand what had gone on, what...or who had caused Sophie's injury? And why?

Samantha must have the answers, she had been in the tent first. Kyra hadn't been interested before, but now was extremely curious. Almost concerned, though she'd never admit it. She needed to talk to the girl.

Seeing Roy now in deep conversation, Kyra turned away and headed in the direction Samantha had walked. She took a shortcut through camp, passing through a small cluster of tents. Kicking up a cloud of dust, she walked past the final one when a sudden noise forced her to halt. The sound of shuffling. Kyra turned her head; the noise was coming from the tent closest to her.

Had the rats come back? She couldn't believe that had been this morning, much had happened within a short period of time. For a second she felt torn with a decision. What if the thing was something dangerous or just a person in their tent?

Kyra sighed, it was growing late, and she was getting tired. The events of the day were taking a toll on her body. She had worked more than normal today during their searching.

Turning away from the tent she spotted Samantha on the outskirts, kicking a tree...hard. She casually walked nearer to her, but still kept a distance between them.

"What did the tree do to you to deserve this cruel and unusual punishment?" Kyra smirked.