At what age did you leave home?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by The Bard of Wigan, May 20, 2008.

1. The Bard of Wigan

The Bard of Wigan New Member

Lake Pontoosuc!!

I still have friends who have a place they built at the lakeside. They also own the nearby club formely known as the Home Club.

To be honest I had some great times there whilst working at the summer camp in Hinsdale, Camp Emerson.

Happy days indeed. :)

2. the norse atlantic saga

the norse atlantic saga New Member

I'll be leaving in 3 months and I'm thrilled about it. I'm 18.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It is a small world. I lived for a while just over the New York State border from Pittsfield, and went to high school at the foot of Lebanon Mountain.

4. shadow tiger x

shadow tiger x New Member

The Australian funny farm. More than 5 minutes fro
    Well i was 15 when i moved out of home. I moved right in with my boyfriend whom is now my husband and e have been together for 7 years with 1 16 month old and another on the way, but it was never that great at first with a over protective brother that told me that i was breaking my parents hearts well you could just imagin what i did lol. My big brother never spoke to me for 3 and a half years even stopped my nephews from talking to me. My mother and father couldn't have been happier my mother is a retired chef and my father is not far away from retiring as a loader driver, they go caravaning every winter and just live life to the fullest. I am now 23 happely married and i am makeing a family of my own...

I don't beleave it matters if you are 15 or in your late 20 if you are happy living at home with your parents then good for you.
    It doesn't matter wether you are 15 leave home and beleave you are better off because you are able to write better i know some 30 to 70 year olds that can write better than some of us younger ones doesn't mean they left home early in age or late in age...

5. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

I became a ward of the state when my parents were killed, so I suppose that was one "leaving."

At eighteen, I "aged out" of the system and moved into the dorm.

6. oldyi

oldyi New Member

As Latino, our familial bond is tight.
    We remain with family when we have no job for leaving and left while we got a job far away from home.:)

7. Cicero

Cicero Banned

I'm 16 ( 17 tomorrow, hooray. ), so I still live at home. :) I will move out when I go to college in a year and a half.

8. Haliburton

Haliburton New Member

When I graduated from grade 8, I was gone. I had already run away from home many times and even at the age of 11 or 12, nobody bothered to try and find me or bring me back. Unfortunately, I have been running away ever since.
    Haliburton

9. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Good gravy! Attack of the zombie thread! :eek:

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

since it's been 5 years since anyone answered the question, there's probably no one but you and i and cog still here, rei, so there's no harm in letting the 'new'comers have their turn at bat...

11. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I suppose I was 25 when I finally got all my stuff out of my parents' house, but I was hardly ever there for seven years before that. I went off to university in another city when I was eighteen and was mostly away for the next five years. After that, I went to Australia for a while - six months or so. When I came home from there, I got a job, stayed with my parents to save some money for a few months, then got my own apartment. Most of my stuff stayed at my parents' house, though, until I got a call from my mom telling me they were getting divorced and the house was being sold, and I'd better come and get anything I wanted to keep.

Arrgh. I did not want to get that call.

12. Nee

Nee Member

17. I lived on the streets near a Californian university for three years crashing classes and fixing junk bicycles to sell to the students and starting punk, jazz, or rock bands: then was a guide for professors and their grad students doing field research in the back country--so I pretty much lived in the wilderness for three years there. Then went back to school officially this time and worked on three simultaneous degrees but run out of money so I moved in with my older brother and work with him installing high-end landscapes: what was then called zero-scapes. But have been on my own or with one of my X's ever since then. However my mother did move-in with me for about 8 months, but is now living with my younger brother (the insane one) it's a real Norman Bates kinda thing.

*shutters.

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

on what windows?

14. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

With me, my home left me. I was 18, second-year migrant in a foreign country, just got into University. A month before it started, my dad took a job in another state and next thing I know, mum's rented a flat for me, cleaned it up and then, they all vanished, leaving me completely alone, without a car, to fend for myself. I've done well since then, but it was extremely difficult to cope with at the time.

15. ECKS

ECKS New Member

Well I traversed the streets and jumped between couches from ages 15-17. I got kicked out of my mother's house at age 16, permanently, so I went to stay with my dad in the city. We live together in a small home near the Columbus Airport. I consider my dad more of a roommate than a parent though. We still have trouble paying bills and things. I don't think I'm ready to live on my own, really. I liked reading through this thread, though! I've picked up the scent of wanderlust upon wandering in here.

16. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

At 18, like most kids around here. Moved 400 km south 'cause I wanted to study in the Helsinki University, lived with my then-boyfriend now-husband. Good times. My mom moved to another city around the same time, I guess he had just been waiting for me to leave :D

17. live2write

live2write Senior Member

17. Went to college a state away and at 21 I asked my dad if I can try to live on my own. He told me that if I wanted to move back I could. I wanted to show my dad that I can live on my own.

18. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

The first time I left I was 14 and just a little crazy. I left LA and ended up in Newburgh NY before a boy's parents called police and they took me back to LA. I threatened a couple times to take my dad up on the offer to, "just leave then", but as soon as I started packing he always added that he'd call the police again so I stayed until I was 18.

After a year on my own living with my less than savory friends I wanted to go to college and fortunately my parents, who still loved me despite my crazy ways, offered to pay. So I left LA for college in Oregon and became a productive member of society. ;)

19. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

Well I'm 23 and still at home. Not a big culture of moving out to go to University in Australia. There's no way I could afford to move out, work my two part-time jobs and study full time. I'm doing my Grad degree right now and most of my peers still live at home. Having said that, most people here buy (and can actually afford to) houses in their late twenties which is part of the reason I've waited. I've also lived in the US and Belgium so my time has been split between home and travelling.

Really don't think we should judge people for not leaving home by a certain age. I chose education rather than dropping out to get a job and move out right away. When I do move out at the end of the year, I will be able to afford it and will be a contributing member of society. Each individual and situation is different.

20. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

That's what my sister did being the same age as you are, she stayed at home for three years after she graduated and now it's paying off. The people who make fun of individuals who stay at home for college are the ones eating Ramen every night in a small dorm-room kicking themselves.

21. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

That's what my sister did being the same age as you are, she stayed at home for three years after she graduated and now it's paying off. The people who make fun of individuals who stay at home for college are the ones eating Ramen every night in a small dorm-room kicking themselves.

22. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

What are you doing your grad work in if you don't mind my asking?

23. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

I did my BA in Creative Writing and I'm doing my Grad degree in Education. My research has been in multiliteracy learning in Primary school age kids. I love it!

24. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I moved out to go to uni, but depended on my student loan and my parents - so if you count from that time, I was 18.

I got a job right after I graduated and moved to London - so I was either 21 or 22 when I was "independent".

But then I wouldn't say even that was true - I couldn't have actually moved there to take up my job if it weren't for my now-husband. My parents didn't have the money to help me set up, which meant I couldn't afford my deposit, let alone the first month's rent, and I had no savings to speak of. My husband, then only my boyfriend, footed the bill for the room, as well as food for the first month. So I wasn't "at home" but I wasn't strictly independent.

Anyway, now married and husband's father still often helps out financially occasionally. We've moved 4 times in 4 years, and every time it sucked up all our savings, leaving us with very little to live on and we just needed some extra cash to cover us for one or two months before the salaries come in. It took a little while for my husband to be on any kind of decent pay, and since I freelance it's fairly unstable. Like this week - I've lost almost £100 on salary because of the floods :( (I can't get to my students, and the students don't want the lessons anyway at a time like this) Stupid company of my husband's thought to promote him and then forgot to actually raise his salary... @_@ so we need to wait another month when we really could've used that money this month.

Seriously, setting up after you leave home is much harder than anyone let on.

In any case, the age of leaving home is different between cultures. In Hong Kong, you don't leave until you're married. I have friends who are single, working in a full-time job after graduation, and living at home. Culturally, it is the way it is. And financially it makes more sense - living space is a luxury in Hong Kong. In the Czech Republic, people don't leave home for universities - again it doesn't make sense to leave - they live at home and commute, usually they'd go to their local uni, and work part-time on top of their degree, and then continue to live at home for a spell after graduation. People don't seem to move around a lot here - my husband keeps bumping into old classmates, and they have tonnes of classmates reunions - everyone still lives in Prague, the same city they grew up in. So different from England.