Atlantians Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by naturemage, May 30, 2012.

1. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Yay I have Internet access! Anyway, my character doesn't really have a superhero name, Dara is just her nickname for herself. She hasn't fought any baddies yet either, so I guess she'll get her name when she does. I gotta think of something clever with elastic and stretchy. Any suggestions? ;)

Also, hope you win the fight Mouse!

2. Loki Laufeyson

Loki Laufeyson New Member

My character is just a Detective with no powers so I'm fine I guess.

3. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

It might possibly be a problem with the wording. I had that issue with some time ago, and losthawken said apparently it has to do with wording.

In any case, just post it up, and I'll let you know if there are any problems. Let Daniel know via a thread or something, I'm sure he'll try working on it.

4. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

LOL, I followed your advice and found the wording that was holding it up. It was a single sentence. :mad:

I want to be sure everything was okay before posting, so I've sent the PM. If it's all good, I'll post it today and write an intro post as well. Finally. :)

5. Hex44

Hex44 New Member

Seems as though everyone ones character is upper middle class or higher... hmmmm...
    Also I thought this was New Atlantis, shouldnt the grade of technology be a little futuristic?

6. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Not necessarily. It's sort of a mix of new and old. Feel free to use either one.

7. AnonyMouse

Name: Shoshanna Underwood
    (Formerly the super-villainess known as “Galatea”)

Family: Her parents are in London, but she has not been on speaking terms with them for over a decade. Her ex-husband and young daughter have moved away from Atlantis and severed all ties with her.

Appearance: Shoshanna stands 5’10” but can be over six feet in heels. She is a tall, very curvy woman, with wide hips, strong thighs, and a comparatively slender waistline, and exceptionally large breasts. She is quite a sight to behold, but will be the first to admit that her “assets” are store-bought… just two of her many regrets. Any man who bothers to look above her bust will find she has an attractive face with striking features and big, sad blue eyes, framed by thick black curls which hang to her waist.

Costume: During her supervillain days, Shoshanna was regarded as a sex symbol. Her costume consisted of a skintight black leather bodysuit with a deep v-shaped cutout going all the way down to her navel, and dagger-like spiked metal heels, with a split cape of bullet-resistant material. A black mask and silver headpiece concealed the upper half of her face.

Her alter-ego is now property of the state, so the costume has been changed accordingly. The basic design is the same, but significantly less revealing (a lot less cleavage and not quite as tight) and has been re-colored to match New Atlantis’s police uniforms. It also has an electric shock collar in case she disobeys orders, but this feature hasn’t been needed… yet.

Description: Shoshanna is very kind, gentle, and patient, but slightly aloof at times. She does as she is told, looks down on no one, and treats everyone warmly, but usually seems sad or emotionally drained. She is like a puppy that has been kicked too often and neither barks nor bites. She values peace and would sooner avoid conflicts than resolve them.

But she hasn’t always been this way. As Galatea, she terrorized the city for months before she was finally defeated ten years ago, while trying to topple the Grand Fountain. Her secret identity is no longer a secret. Shoshanna’s defeat and subsequent trial and incarceration were highly publicized. She is now legally obligated to serve the New Atlantis police, but most heroes don’t trust her and villains see her as a failure or traitor.

Occupation: None. She is a ward of the state, but most people who know her now agree she is neither insane, dangerous, nor malicious, and might be eligible for release in the near future.

Hobbies: gardening, sewing, reading, meditating, drinking tea, watching birds, petting kittens… she enjoys calm, quiet things.

Superpowers: Shoshanna/Galatea can manipulate gravity. There are virtually no objects too heavy for her lift. If it isn’t bolted down or cemented to the earth, she can (and will) send it flying at her enemies. She can change the direction or force of gravity, making objects weightless or incredibly heavy, and can even create gravity wells, capable of pulling in (or tossing out) objects. As a villainess, Galatea was known for never running; she slowly stalks her prey and pulls them to her or levitates if she must give chase.

Extra info: Shoshanna is confined to an asylum and has weekly check-ups with a state-appointed psychiatrist. But her alter ego, Galatea, is property of the New Atlantis police force. During her trial, it was deemed that supervillain identities are not “people,” and thus can be owned by the state. Because of this, they can call upon Galatea at any time and Shoshanna must don the uniform and do their bidding.

8. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Hey everyone, I have introduced the first villain. Please do not add anything more to him than what you already know:

He is destroying mirrors, and he does not want to go back to a certain place, though he has yet to say where.

Get your characters there if they are interested, and if you'd like to speak with Monsoon or the villain, PM me. Those of you that aren't interested in the villain, feel free to continue what you're doing.

9. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Good post Mouse. Are you expecting to get there at the same time Monsoon does, or when the action has already started?

Also, since I left it out and was asked, Monsoon appears to be in his 30s or so, but he has been living in New Atlantis for a few months, though he's never actually been seen. This will be his first public appearance.

10. JessWrite

Wow, I love all of the new posts, very intriguing!

I was hoping Dara could run into someone, so I guess she could be included in this craziness. Today is no normal day after all. ;)

Do you have any specifications on where this drugstore is, it could be close by her Gym right? Could there be people be running out of the building, or would the physco villain be keeping everyone hostage?

11. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Apologies. I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to post up the villain. I will get a post up for him tomorrow (I'll be controlling them for the game, but feel free to do whatever you like to them without PMing me, unless its something major like killing them or disabling them. If you are afraid they might be out of character, PM me to check.)

I will get a post up for the villain tomorrow. If you'd like to get there, the department store is just down the street for some of you (aka, whoever wants to get there ;)

12. AnonyMouse

Thanks.

Galatea would probably arrive late. Monsoon has the upper hand, being able to travel by water mains and such. Not to mention the police are ALWAYS late when you need them... :rolleyes:

I didn't realize Monsoon was an unknown element. That makes things a little more interesting. We'll see how the cops react to his "interference" in this situation.

13. SpitFyre

SpitFyre Member

Waiting for confirmation-

14. Hex44

Hex44 New Member

I'm thinking about changing up Ruddyman's abilities since this las post was the first time I've really ever used them. I'd like to add the vocal hypnosis, telekinesis, personal energy manipulation, and remote viewing to his repretoire.
    I understand there is no all powerful character, so I'd like him to be a support character. Chaotic Neutral at best.
    Also his knowledge of Chemistry, Biology, and Mechanics will remain.
    I'm debating on information absorbsion... it wouldn't be just books but everything he comes in contact with he would understand. Pelease let me know your thoughts on this.
    Thank you.

15. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Got my post up, probably should have read the others before posting but too late.

Hex - Your character seems to be verging on overpowered. Telekinesis, energy manipulation and remote viewing sounds a bit much for one character, and adding information absorbtion seems overkill.

16. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Anyone seen Morvan around? If she doesn't post then I'll have to come up with another way to run into some people.

17. AnonyMouse

Ooooh, I'm trying to decide if the hospital Hugh just blew up is the same as the mental hospital Shoshanna just checked out of. I'm gonna go with "no," cuz I just finished writing my post and don't feel like editing a big boom into it.

Not to mention that would royally piss her off and it's too soon for that sort of thing. She's in a zen state right now, and I'm trying to keep it that way for a while. :rolleyes:

But when he blows up a school, you better believe there will be an angry superpowered MILF hunting you down. Nuking kids is NOT COOL!!!!

18. AnonyMouse

I think it might be too much. :redface:

Not only is that a very powerful combination of abilities, but some of them overlap with the abilities of other characters. His "telekinesis" is somewhat similar to Shoshanna's ability, albeit not as powerful. "Remote viewing" is similar to Alica's ability. "Personal energy manipulation" is sort of like Bellphim's ability to drain souls/energy. None of them are an exact match, of course, but they're similar enough that it infringes on each characters' uniqueness.

Vocal hypnosis is tough to write because it involves a lot of control over other characters. And information absorption borders on god-moding; unless you put some limits on it, he's basically capable of knowing anything, if the information is out there. His innate knowlege of chemistry/biology/mechanics was cool by itself (and I really like the character so far) but if all of these new tricks are permanent (i.e. not a temporary side effect due to the "stuff" he was exposed to) I think it makes him OP.

But, that's just my opinion. Ultimately, it's for the GM to decide.

19. Hex44

Hex44 New Member

Thanks anonymouse I've considered that, and you're absolutely right, though I'd play my character differently than you'd think. By the way, just read through Eximus Coventry... Your character is a perfect bitch I love her.

20. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Hey everyone, great posts today! And Hex, just keep your character from becoming too powerful. We don't want anyone to "have it all." I will be getting the villain's first post up later today.

21. SpitFyre

SpitFyre Member

Name: Draco

Family: Draco lost his family the day he gained his powers, he talks about the event to barely anyone though most of the northwest part of the city remember the day.

Appearance: Draco is around 6ft tall, his muscle tone is almost like a bodybuilder though he never exercises past helping in times of need. His chest and legs are covered in archaic gold lettering and decoration. Even in the harshest of weather he only wears tracksuit bottoms believing every one should see him for what he really is. The most startling aspect of him is his eyes, his eyes glow even in pure darkness one gold and one silver.

Costume: Draco wears no costume, believing his tattoos and eyes show who he is well enough

Description: Dracon is kind and gentle to all people he meets even those who dislike what he is. Though he is welcoming and talks well there is always something he holds back as if he never wants people to find out what drives him. Draco has few friends only those who allow him to be near and forgive him for his past wrongs.

He barely interfered in the ways of the city after his change it is only recently he began to help the citizens after an elderly woman at the diner he frequented came to him and sat without fear. she told him the city needed him, and no one blessed with powers should sit out of the fight. Draco was amazed by this woman's insight, as he left he turned back to thank her and found her gone. since that moment he has fought to keep the city stable.

Occupation: No occupation beyond helping those who ask and protecting the city

Hobbies: Fencing, Mixed martial arts, Construction.

Superpowers: the day Draco changed he gained two aspects to his powers, Draco can change into a dragon. When he gained his powers his body automatically changed ripping his house apart, driven mad by pain he rampaged across half of his neighborhood before he regained his senses, his parents bodies were never found. In dragon form Draco is around 40 meters long and 15 meters tall, his scales are a brilliant gold. he gains all the strengh of his massive size and a sinuous agility that surprises almost all who see him. His scales are near impervious. in his dragon form Draco never speaks though he can communicate telepathically with humans if their minds are strong enough.
    In his human form Draco gained the ability to create if he understands something or can imagine it he can create it in this world. If he is focused he can create things almost faster then blinking though in a fight it is not always the case as his dragon side pushes for control and the dragon rage is always pushing for control. If he gives into the change his creations dissolve into dust

Extra info: -

22. Heist

Heist New Member

Name: Jason Farrenkothen
    Family: A brother on the mainland in America (don't keep in touch anymore).

Appearance: Gaunt, with a sharp ashen face and a thin wiry frame that holds a hidden strength. He is not exceptionally tall and yet not very short, making him painfully average. The only remarkable thing about him would be the crescent shaped scar on the back of his left hand that shimmers slightly.

Typical Clothing/Costume: Immaterial trench coat (resistant to extreme heat/lasers), gravity boots (allows walking on walls, but needs to be fueled). Also, whatever he can steal from the dumpsters such as a grey, torn, stained shirt worn paper thin, fingerless gloves and some ripped cargo pants.

Description: Quiet, yet has a very short fuse. Can be very irritable while not voicing internal issues, but not aggressive unless provoked. Though when it comes to conflict, he is a pacifist at heart, lest his own personal ideals are affected, rather running away than fighting. Loner attitude accompanied by an extreme hate for the government/any system at all, forms the basis of his reason for trying to be "off the map" constantly as well as a slight paranoia that he is constantly being monitored; causing him to be on edge whenever he is with others. Deep down, he is a bit of a Robin Hood character, showing compassion and empathy towards those less fortunate.

Occupation: Down-and-out street hermit (ex construction worker/electrician).

Hobbies: Building electronic gadets/hacking electronics (computers included).

Superpowers/equipment: Enhanced physical attributes (jump super human distances, run at super human speeds and ability to take more than average damage/heal extremely quickly).

Extra info: Has killed people before.

23. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Welcome to the game Heist. Your character sounds very powerful though.

24. Heist

Heist New Member

Yeah, I thought he would come across as such, but by "super human" I don't mean anything too drastic. It will be more of a ninja-esque super human than a Superman-type super human. His body is merely enhanced physically allowing him to jump further and run faster than average humans. If he's still too powerful for the story I can always tone him down more.

25. JessWrite

Can't have a superhero story without forming a crush on one...even if he is 4 years older. :p

Anyway, you guys are awesome, I love reading what you come up with! Can't wait to see what happens in that department store.