1. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

ATTENTION: Unable to post in Writing Workshop?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by chicagoliz, Jun 11, 2012.

I can't seem to figure out HOW to post something in the Writing Workshop portion of the site -- I understand the rules about being ALLOWED to post there, and I understand them. What I can't figure out are the actual mechanics of doing so. I see that people have posted prematurely, and then their threads are locked. But I don't see how they posted them in the first place. On all other portions of the site (including this one) there is a button I can click on that says Post New Thread. But that button is not there in the writing workshop portion, and I can't figure out how I would actually post something, once I decide I am ready to do so.

The answer must be really obvious, since so many other people post -- even people who are brand new. So I feel like an idiot, and I hate to even post the question, but I just can't seem to figure out the answer on my own. In desperation, I am revealing my ignorance and incompetence to everyone here.

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.
    Liz

2. Alex A.

Alex A. Member

I have the sufficient reviews, bot cant post own work

When I first registered more than a year ago, I was informed that I would have to have a certain number of posts and reviews to post my own work. I did just that and within a week, I had posted my own work (You can even find it in my started post history). I have not been active in the past couple of months, but I figured I would post something and see how I am doing. I try to start a thread and it says I don't have at least two reviews, which I had already done earlier in 2011. Again, I reviewed two more pieces of work (last night), because that isn't bad at all. I tried to post today and I still am not allowed. Just wondering why? Do I need to be cleared by an admin or something?

3. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

Same thing happened to me. I just did one more review (making 3) and it worked.
    Hope that helps.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Give it another try, and if you still have no luck, send a PM to Daniel. As administrator, he's the only one who can deal with site faults like these.

5. Alex A.

Alex A. Member

Alright, thanks guys

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

To all who are experiencing this:

If you are absolutely sure you have met all the requirements after having read everything under Important Information on the site home page, and cannot physically post a new thread, contact Daniel via PM.

There appear to have been some problems recently with new members who have met all the requirements and have been here long enough.

PLEASE DO NOT CREATE A NEW HELP THREAD IF YOU ARE ENCOUNTERING THIS PROBLEM, AND DO NOT RAISE AN ISSUE UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN HERE SIGNIFICANTLY LONGER THAN TWO WEEKS!

Only Daniel can look into this.

The moderators cannot do so, and will not look over every member's posting history to verify they have met the requirements.

If you have read the requisite material, you know whether you have met the requirements to physically post in the Writing Workshop (your thread could later be closed if your critiques are inadequate, but that will not prevent you from posting in the first place). If you have NOT read the requisite material, you are wasting our time and yours.

7. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Hey guys,

I'm looking into this. The original coder of the plugin disappeared, but I have a friend currently looking into it. This is a priority, and I expect to have it fixed sometime this week.

8. Daniel

Liz, Alex, or anyone who's had this issue in the past but knows for certain they've met the requirements - can you try again and let me know if it's working for you?

9. E. C. Scrubb

E. C. Scrubb Active Member

Not sure if this is still active, but I've had issues in the past, then you fixed it and I could post. During this semester, I wasn't that active here, but tonight, I came back, posted a couple reviews, and then later decided to post a short story, and I still can't physically post in the writing workshop.

10. Daniel

Alright, thanks. What's puzzling is how only some members are experiencing this issue, and some members, like yourself, are experiencing it intermittently.

I'm going to continue to look into this, but a solution probably won't be coming until I can afford to hire a coder.

11. E. C. Scrubb

E. C. Scrubb Active Member

I eventually was able to post, but only after I left another review (my third).

I wonder, is the review count cumulative and compared to the number of threads started in the workshop section? If so, I had a couple reviews early on that when I went back, I noticed they (and I think some other posts before hand) were removed for some reason. Would that have anything to do with it? The other thing I wondered, is word count on the reviews. Is there are threshold? I just found it weird that after my third review (even though I went back and counted and was already at the 2 reviews per new submission), I was all of sudden allowed to post after the third review.

Regardless, thanks for all of your hard work on the site.

EC

12. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I've printed off the rules and have read them, and understand that I must be registered on the site for 2 weeks, post at least 2 reasonable critiques, etc, before I can post my own stuff. (Not gasping to do so, but just wondering...) What isn't clear is do we need to wait for an "OK" from the administrator, via email, that we've met all these criteria? Or do we just go ahead and post our work, as soon as the two weeks are up and we've done our two critiques?

I don't know if this is a related issue or not, but I can't seem to get a Profile picture to appear on my site either. I've chosen Edit Profile Picture on my settings page, attempted to engage Option 2 (Upload Image from your Computer) browsed my own computer , chosen my picture (which is within the size limit), clicked 'save changes' and ...nada. Still no photo. I have a MacMini, using OS 10.5.8, if that makes any difference. My photos are stored in iPhoto, Leopard version.

13. idle

idle Active Member

I think that new members do not have the New Thread button in that section of the workshop. So when you see the button there and know that you've met all the criteria, just go ahead and post your work.

As for the Profile Picture, that's something that goes in your profile only (or is the problem that it doesn't appear there either?). If you want a photo to appear alongside your posts, you need to upload an Avatar (that's the next section in Settings after Profile Picture).

14. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Thanks, idle, you've answered my question about posts. As to the profile picture AND avatar, nope, I'm having no luck with either. I get to the right section, choose 'browse' for my own computer, pick the photo I want, open it ...and nothing happens. I wait and wait and nothing happens. I am used to doing this for Facebook, etc, but this just isn't working for me. But thanks for the try...

Aha! I'm not as technologically challenged as I thought. Turns out the problem was with my browser. My version of Firefox doesn't allow me to load avatars or do 'blue' quotes. Safari does! Yee ha, as dey say in dem parts...

15. myers2

myers2 New Member

I signed up almost five years ago and posted under the username Myers. I posted a fair bit but haven't used the site for about 3 years. Now I can sign back in as Myers but can't post at all. I've sent two emails on the contact us part of the website explaining the problem but have had no reply. I've now created this profile so I can explain the problem here! I'm emailed Daniel but I've had no response yet (I appreciate he's probably a busy guy!). Can anyone reactivate my original account?

16. Cogito

You'll have to wait for Daniel to respond. No one else can help you.

17. myers2

myers2 New Member

Okey doke. In your experience do inactive accounts get deactivated after a certain amount of time?

18. Cogito

They do not.

19. davidm

davidm Poodle of Guernica

It appears I am having the same problem. I have made more than 20 posts, have been a member for more than two weeks, and have offered at least five or six constructive (or so I hope!) critiques, yet there is no "Post New Thread" button in the Writer's Workshop. What should I do?

20. davidm

davidm Poodle of Guernica

The thread starter button now appears. As Emily Litella would say, "Never mind!" :D

21. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

I'm suddenly seeing this when I try to post. Is this what everyone else sees?

Attached Files:

22. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yeah, the dreaded internal server error. I'm going to delete the thread you attempted. Go ahead and try to open a new one.

23. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I see you managed to get the text in. I'll leave the thread alone. :)

24. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

I don't know if it's what you did, but I sort of got it working. Kind of. A bit. Please don't delete it because I'm hoping to go to bed and have feedback by tomorrow.

25. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

I've posted numerous reviews in the writing workshop and I've posted quite a few posts for review there.

And for the second time my privileges were taken away, randomly. Do I need to post more reviews again?
    Also this oddball of a warning keeps showing up after I try to change my sig

Attached Files: