Austin Macauley

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by jannert, Apr 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

and key lesson here never sign anything you don't fully understand... if in doubt consult a legal proffesional

Boogleeboo likes this.
  2. Boogleeboo

Boogleeboo New Member

Most definitely

3. Boogleeboo

Boogleeboo New Member

Life lesson learnt

4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

And that sounds like something they've done many, many times before. They know they're full of shit, but they try to rope you in until you show enough resistance. Then they exit "gracefully."

jannert likes this.
  5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

How they can think a contract that doesn't quote a price is legally binding is odd as well ... in order for a contract for service to exist a consideration (usually money) has to pass from one party to the other

ETA it really boils my piss that we have an Austin mcauley advert on the front page - it is time @Daniel did something about this

6. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

There are companies that will, for an agreed-on price, provide services such as editing, cover design, formatting, etc. They will not, however, demand a large chunk of change up front, nor will they be the publisher of record or retain any portion of your rights. That, as you have discovered, is not Austin Macauley.

There are true hybrid, non-vanity publishers, firms that, also for a custom-quoted, agreed-on figure, will go on to publish the book under their own imprint and become the publisher of record. A UK friend of mine used such a hybrid publisher for her historical novel, and was very happy with their work. I have a copy and yeah, it looks good. Can't remember off the top of my head what she told me about the rights, however. You have to look into that, always.

That will cost money for the services provided, and if you, @Boogleeboo, haven't got any just now, that won't be what you want, even if the company is legitimate. So figure out what you need to get your book onto Amazon in a form you'll be proud of, and take it one task at a time. You might have to learn some new skills, or maybe you'll have to save up the cash to hire the work out. (We have some great discussions and resources on all that here on WF). If contracting for book production services one by one would add up to more than you can manage, ask for recommendations for all-in-one firms. Find a hybrid that suits you, pay them only for what you've contracted with them to provide, and use them in good conscience.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  7. Catrin Lewis

As for "vanity" publishing, these days IMO the true vanity in publishing is the need to feel validated by having a "real publisher" say you're good enough.

Don't get me wrong. We have good members here who have chosen to go with traditional publishers, but for them, I think I can safely say, trad was the best means for them to get their books on the market. It was about the work, not about their egos. It's when we have a deep inner need to feel the grownups like us, they really like us!!! that we get into trouble.

Yeah, it's nice if they do. But as has been said before, you won't have to pay upfront for that approval. The money will flow to you.

John-Wayne likes this.
  8. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

:love:

9. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm with @Homer Potvin here - they've done this before. They try to intimidate the writer into paying. When that fails they back off. Because they're such good guys, right? Nope. Because they know they don't have a case that would hold up in court.

Well, at least you know now ...and you won't get fooled again.

I do echo one thing they said, though. Good luck on your writing journey! :)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Boogleeboo likes this.
  10. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Lots of binding contracts don't quote a price term. Consideration doesn't have to be money, though as you note it often is. Also, there are some circumstances where the agreement may be enforceable even without consideration, such as under a promissory estoppel theory.

11. Catrin Lewis

All the more reason to sign nothing before you understand exactly what you're getting into, right? Which may involve getting legal advice.

Steerpike and John-Wayne like this.
  12. big soft moose

they do but not of this sort which is why I said 'contract for service' (clearly employment, prenup and various other sorts are different, but not germane)

An agreement that says " You agree to pay us an undisclosed amount to be soley determined by us for services x, y and z " would not stand up as a binding contract for service in a british court because a) it is patently unfair, and b) no contract has been formed since the terms of agreement are not specified, and no money has changed hands