Author has trademarked common word; threatening other authors over its use

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Catrin Lewis, May 7, 2018.

1. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    So it is a 'Slap in the face', is what your saying. :)

cutecat22 likes this.
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

That's because being well written has very little to do with success - key exemplar FSOG (95 million dollars)

That aside Faleena has a thing about male pupils seducing female teachers - it happens in Cocky Mothers day as well ... hardly ever happens in real life , both because the likelihood of a grown woman finding a teenager attractive are minimal and also because they are playing with their job (and possibly their freedom depending on what the AoC is)

Shenanigator and cutecat22 like this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

also what the hell is a verbal set down ? its 'Put down' surely

and 'much less' doesn't work in that sentence....

Seriously Faleena, get a fucking editor

Linz and Shenanigator like this.
  4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I don't know. I read something shortly after this broke that her first "cocky" book was pretty high in the Amazon romance sales rankings, and that her overall author rank in Romance was something like #94. If that's the case and she's doing OK with these books as-is, why the hell get an editor?

I believe the figures cited were from before the scandal. Don't know if they've gone up or down as a result.

BayView likes this.
  5. big soft moose

Shes currently #80 in print and #68 in kindle for romance . maybe with decent proofreading she'd be #79 or 67 or closer

6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Maybe...but I kinda doubt it. I don't think the fans of her work, or those sitting on the brink of fandom if there are any, are going one way or the other based on proofreading.

7. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Yep.

:supergrin::supergrin:

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. big soft moose

Probably so - to be honest that's probably true of most readers outside of writers and critics - but if you are going to claim that your work doesn't need editing because it has its "own special quality" having this kind of error just make you look stupid (that is her, not you you)

End of the day if editing/proofing didn't matter we'd all be publishing our first drafts and saving a shit load of cash

Linz, Shenanigator and cutecat22 like this.
  9. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Bingo. More cocks, tits, secretaries, professors, and babysitters please!

10. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

What annoys me is that (most of) the male Cockers' books are named for professions (one's a Cocky Senator, another's a Cocky Heart Surgeon, one's a Cocky Cowboy, heck, one's a Cocky Marine), but the girls get to be a Cocky Rebel, Cocky by Association (are the two that share a book twins? They've got to be), one of them is called Cocky Love, and the one that annoys the shit out of me, Cocky Senator's Daughter. Do they get to have jobs too? Something other than the usual suspects of secretary, teacher (if one of them is a teacher that gets seduced by a pupil I will genuinely buy every copy of the Cocker Brothers series (which should technically be the Cocker Family series now, methinks) that I can lay my hands on, and burn them all) or waitress (or server, for those of you who've had a squizz at Cocky Quarterback). For a series written by a woman for women, there really isn't much female empowerment.

11. big soft moose

I suspect that's because Faleena's typical reader doesn't want to be empowered (by the book) - a series based on 6 brothers screwing their way through life isn't a likely candidate for strong feminist messaging, and to be fair its fairly obvious from cover and description what the reader is getting.

What they want is to be vicariously taken by Maximus Cocker (or whoever I made that up I've no idea what the brothers are called) and imagine their nipples hardening like burnt toffee and their panties turning to moist ash as his deep voice rumbles like thunder in his chest...

12. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

[QUOTE="big soft moose, post: 1665462, member: 77407"What they want is to be vicariously taken by Maximus Cocker (or whoever I made that up I've no idea what the brothers are called) and imagine their nipples hardening like burnt toffee and their panties turning to moist ash as his deep voice rumbles like thunder in his chest...[/QUOTE]

From that description alone, I'd swear it was a piece about mysterious spontaneous combustion instead of sex, and that we can expect to see a charred, smoking piece of furniture with some powdery ash where a person had been.

cutecat22 and Cave Troll like this.
  13. big soft moose

I made the bit about burnt toffee up , but the rest of that description is in cocky roomy

Linz, cutecat22, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  14. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Seriously? I was thinking "funniest parody ever". It's actually in there?:eek:

15. big soft moose

I think the actual quote is "his voice is so deep my panties turn instantly to moist ash" Its a different book where mr cockers voice 'rumbles like thunder in his chest' and a third where her"nipples pressed against her blouse like raspberries ripe for picking"

you understand that I've only read the look insides , I've not actually read any of them all the way through

The basic rule appears to be that everything is like something else - I'm all for similes but in moderation

16. EstherMayRose

This is why the books are so funny. There's some comedy gold right there.

Also, the first thing on the contents page of Cocky Heart Surgeon is (I quote) "Alternate Cover. Mmm." That was creepy even before I learned she was supposed to have taken the photo herself. Also, incredibly unprofessional. It reminds me of an author's note on fanfiction.net, particularly the one whose final note remarked that the ending was "pretty powerful". (As a side note, it wasn't.)

17. Shenanigator

Yep, that's the one. @Trish if you scroll back we riffed on that about lye, and lye being caustic, and soap making...We've been having quite a lot of fun with that one line alone!

cutecat22, Cave Troll and Trish like this.
  18. big soft moose

As I said higher up i came up with the burnt toffee thing while trying to write a parody, until I realised the books are already so overblown that parody isn't really possible

Shenanigator and cutecat22 like this.
  19. EstherMayRose

There's also Mr. Roomie's "mountainous abs". Last time I checked, they weren't supposed to be pointy.

Linz, Shenanigator, cutecat22 and 2 others like this.
  20. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Ah, I missed that. But.. being as I heat with a wood stove (lots of ash around) - isn't moist ash just black water? And how the fuck is that sexy? She needs to find a cocky GYN

21. Shenanigator

I know, right? :eek:

[sung] "This girl is on fi-rrrrrrrre..."

cutecat22, Cave Troll and Trish like this.
  22. big soft moose

there's a bit in cocky heart surgeon where he has a conversation with his penis (as an into to a scene of him jerking off while thinking about his boss) .... again if there's a woman in a position of power in any of these books it won't be long before shes being taken on her desk - because we know that professional women are all just waiting for a young male stud to show them a good time

23. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

This would be a problem for me as I work in an open office plan... :eek:

24. big soft moose

In your case Mr Cocker would take you in the stationery cupboard (Only Faleena would spell it stationary)

Trish, Shenanigator and cutecat22 like this.
  25. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Cockie Secretary
    Cockie Surgeon
    Cockie Rocker
    Cockie Cowgirl
    Cockie Groupie
    Cocky Son Of A Cockie ...

:)

Linz and Shenanigator like this.