Author has trademarked common word; threatening other authors over its use

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Catrin Lewis, May 7, 2018.

1. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

No doubt she fucked up.

Shenanigator and cutecat22 like this.
  2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I haven't read all the papers, so there's that caveat. But the challenge to the trademark is before the TTAB, an administrative court in the USPTO. The Southern District of NY has no jurisdiction to do anything with that. Faleena asked the court to dismiss the cancellation, but doesn't have that power. That's probably what this is referring.

BayView likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I strongly suspect she's a drama llama I doubt she gets 100 threatening letters a day, I doubt she gets one a day tbh, this is all oh woe is me rubbish. For example some bloke on Twitter said that if she was that deluded she ought to be sectioned. After being filtered through her head that became " and I've been threatened with being put in a mental hospital " Her 100 threatening letters are probably people on Twitter saying that she's an idiot.

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Shouldn't her lawyer have known that.

5. Steerpike

Yep.

6. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

I just guessed she gets a hundred a day. Given how many I’ve heard other hated figures get.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Shenanigator likes this.
  7. big soft moose

Can the arguments in the uspto court consider the other case, Ie does the opinion of the southern ny court judge that the trademark is weak and flawed strengthen kneuppners case for having it revoked ?

8. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

if it is revoked, then doesn't that mean that the whole trademarking office should be overhauled?

John-Wayne likes this.
  9. cutecat22

Isn't that also going to be part of the next court date in September? I think the FH lawyers are looking at it from the POV of Kevin having nothing to do with this because he's not affected by it in any way, however, from his POV, he's fighting it on behalf of everyone who can't, and also from the side of "what if?" What if he decided to write a romance, (Or any other genre, really) and wanted Cocky in the title? There is still massive scope for titles not yet used. The Cocky Liar, My Cocky Bit On The Side, My Cocky Life, The Cocky Principal, The Cocky Rules, Our Cocky Court ... etc. The list is practically endless of titles which could contain the word Cocky.

10. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

But the idea of "standing" is that people can't sue on behalf of someone else... they have to have some direct connection to the issue at bar (or be granted intervenor status - do they have that in the states?). So, yes, I assume he'll be arguing that he has standing because he may someday want to publish a romance with the word "Cocky" in the title, but I also assume that'll be challenged, because it's pretty damn remote.

Linz likes this.
  11. cutecat22

Unless that's why Kevin was removed from this part of the case - FH is the one suing three of them - two for the titles and the Cocky anthology, one (Kevin) because he's petitioned the court to revoke FH's trademark - if she can't actually sue Kevin for that, then that could be why the judge sidelined it, because he's dealing with the two who could potentially be sued.

As Kevin hasn't actually done anything, he can't be sued. That's my understanding, but I could be totally wrong.

12. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I think you're right that he can't be sued for challenging a trademark, and the court wasn't willing to issue a restraining order to stop someone from challenging a trademark. So I think that's why he was removed from the proceedings this time.

But in order for his challenge to go forward I think he will, at some point, have to prove standing, and I think he's going to have a tough time. (There may be special rules for trademark cases, but judging by how he went out of his way in his petition to establish his argument for having standing, I don't think there are)

cutecat22 likes this.
  13. big soft moose

She wasn't technically suing him for challenging the trademark, she was asking the court for a restraining order to prevent his challenge. As steer pike says that was never going to fly because it's outside the jurisdiction of this court to do that, which her lawyer should have known.

The application for a restraining order barring Tara crescent from publishing books with cocky in the title while the case is ongoing has also been rejected.

Basically faileena is losing this one.

cutecat22 and John-Wayne like this.
  14. big soft moose

If it goes to the next date in September she will be pursuin her case for trademark violation against Tara and the people behind cocktales, but Tara's lawyers have also filed a motion to dismiss the case so it may not get that far.

15. cutecat22

So now they both have to go away and collect evidence to prove who's right and who's wrong ... There's an interesting timeline on Twitter which may have a huge bearing on all this - I'll see if I can find the link.

16. Steerpike

The petitioner can certainly point out what the judge said. It’s not binding on the TTAB. Might be persuasive, though. A court can also rule a trademark invalid, which I assume will be a defense raised in this case.

17. Steerpike

No. Cancellation proceedings are part of the process within the office.

Linz and cutecat22 like this.
  18. Steerpike

Yes, standing is a threshold issue. He’s going to have to provide the court with a reasonable basis to believe he will be harmed by the registration.

cutecat22 and BayView like this.
  19. cutecat22

unless - as he is a retired intellectual rights lawyer - he gets a bunch of romance authors together who have/could be harmed, and fights on their behalf ...?

Shenanigator likes this.
  20. Steerpike

Yes. But that wouldn’t help in this proceeding because he’s the plaintiff. I don’t know that you can add new parties in at this point so he’d have to start over. Apparently the TTAB is pretty lenient with standing so if he can give them any reasonable basis he may be ok.

BayView and Shenanigator like this.
  21. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Where's Andrew Dice Clay when we need him?

[​IMG]

(he's with Axl and Duff apparently)

irite and Shenanigator like this.
  22. big soft moose

In the original petition didn't he say he wanted to publish a book with cocky in the title.... That sounds like a reasonable basis for harm

Shenanigator likes this.
  23. cutecat22

timeline - of interest

24. cutecat22

or he's looking at the wider ramifications.

25. Steerpike

Possibly. I don’t know that would normally be enough for standing. Courts require an actual controversy and won’t usually wade in on matters that might happen in the future. Whether the TTAB will be more lenient, I don’t know. If they think you’re doing something just to manufacture standing, it usually doesn’t go well for the party seeking standing. If he’s never published any books in the genre and suddenly says he wants to just as he needs standing to file this petition, I’d see it as bullshit if I was the judge.

Shenanigator, GrahamLewis and BayView like this.