Author has trademarked common word; threatening other authors over its use

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Catrin Lewis, May 7, 2018.

1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Not really . KDP select is the overarching program - KU is one (the major one) of its strands

EOTD the answer to this is simple enforcement of the rules and banning persistent accounts with the loss of sales and rankings - the problem is amazon don't care because it doesn't effect their bottom line

Shenanigator likes this.
  2. Nariac

Nariac Contributor Contributor

Perhaps I should trademark her name and then send her a cease and desist letter in re: her existing.

cutecat22 and Shenanigator like this.
  3. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

The paperbacks (through Createspace) have a minimum price threshold based on print on demand production costs, and that is down to the book's page count, anything you add onto that, is profit but that does mean that an unknown author's books around the 490/500 page count have to be £10 each, (which gives me around 40p per book royalty payment) and very few people are going to pay that.

I guess they could set a similar pricing structure for ebooks set around the total page number or the file size of the whole book, (obviously it would have to be set at a lower rate) which would go some way to stopping the stuffers. But who would decide the minimum price?

I do think 99p/99cents shouldn't be allowed, but then, there's nothing wrong with having a sale for so many days/weeks per year to drum up business. The only business who I've never seen have a sale, are petrol stations. Even banks have sales!

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

But as bay view said books in ku don't have a price because it's a subscription service. Page reads are fine, they just need to ban hammer the scammers

cutecat22 likes this.
  5. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

@BayView Here's something about the way KU payments add up with stuffers etc. If you don't want to watch it all, scroll through to 16 and a half minutes, then you'll get the maths part. Suzan explains it better than I can. xx

6. D.Clarke

D.Clarke Active Member

Disgusting... yep, that about sums it up.

7. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

Guess who’s back in the news. It seems Faleena Hopkins got busted for making the police chase her through 24 miles of the Grand Teton National Park. She got arrested on Jan 27, and disappeared a few days later. Friends and family say they haven’t seen or heard from her since Jan 30.

I know a lot of people aren’t real fond of Faleena over that ‘cocky gate’ deal, but I also don’t think anyone wishes ill fortune on her. It sounds silly to think she jumped bail, there’s not really any point to it. All it’s going to get her is additional charges- but she’s in the wind somewhere.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/13/romance-writer-faleena-hopkins-reported-missing-days-after-release-from-jail-in-wyoming/

8. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Oh my gosh, that's hilarious! A 24-mile chase through Grand Teton National Park? Too funny! :supergrin::supergrin:

. . . Though that disappearing thing, that's worrying. If this happened near the Mexican border, we might expect she just nipped over and vamoosed. But since this took place well north in America, in rather wild country . . .

As you say, no one wishes ill fortune on her, not physically anyway. Hopefully this is just another bad choice and she's holed up off-grid and hasn't done anything desperate.

:superthink:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  9. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Many people apparently disappear from national parks, though it doesn't sound like that's what happened to her. She ran from police through the park, was arrested and released, and then disappeared from nobody knows where. Maybe she went back to the park to hide out? Who knows? Very strange story.

10. big soft moose

It feels overblown to me, she’s not missing, she’s an adult who did something dumb and hasn’t been home since

she’s probably in a low rent motel somewhere

we’ll know if she’s actually missing if she doesn’t show for her arraignment

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  11. NobodySpecial

This actually gets pretty stupid. It turns out when she ran from the cops, they only wanted to know why she left her car where she did. Her charges now include parking/ stopping in the roadway, exceeding the posted speed limit( aka speeding) and fleeing or attempting to elude police. All this over a possible parking ticket, and now she’s working her way up to flight to avoid prosecution.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  12. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Yeah, she's pretty cocky, huh?

Catriona Grace likes this.
  13. big soft moose

Rding back one of her most cringey lines was

"His voice is so deep I feel my panties turn to moist ash and vanish"

Maybe she meant

I feel my panties turn to moist ash, and vanish

:D

14. Catrin Lewis

Maybe she just forgot to capitalize the V.
    Fullscreen capture 2142023 45757 PM.bmp.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  15. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Nothing gets me going like ashy panties!

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  16. Catrin Lewis

Agreed. That's the 28th of February. We'll see.

17. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Ain't karma a bitch?

18. NobodySpecial

And she’s got the clap. Maybe that’s where the moist ash panty concept came from.

19. Catrin Lewis

For real? I know we're very open with everything in our time, but that's not something people generally publicize.

20. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

Unfortunately a lack of ethics has become common in society. So has dragging someone else down to get ahead or make yourself feel better.

We need the publishing houses with their resources to smack this lady down. I can see Amazons initial reaction being CYA. But a growing number of complaints by the same person, should have caused an organization that size to confirm the validity of the claims.

21. big soft moose

thats all happened already - this is an old story from 2018 brought up again by her recent behaviour in running from police

22. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Yes, but it did make me wonder if a story about this blue skinned avatar would get a copyright violation:

[​IMG]

23. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

Missing an 'r' I'm sure

24. NobodySpecial

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  25. Catrin Lewis

So, we can stop worrying about her and let the ridicule recommence?

I have to wonder if the publicity will bolster her sales.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023