Author has trademarked common word; threatening other authors over its use

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Catrin Lewis, May 7, 2018.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Yes. We’ve been over that already. I’m just pointing out that genericism is determined by the goods and services. You can’t just look at a word in a vacuum and say it is generic under trademark law.

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

i'm saying its generic in the context that faleena has used it, in both meanings of the double entendre.

Someone on twitter has just pointed out that the USMC own the US trademark on the word Marine (as applied to commandos) so Faleena should not have titled a book 'cocky marine' without their permission.

Shenanigator and Cave Troll like this.
  3. Steerpike

I'm not convinced it is generic in her case. I think the better argument is that it is merely descriptive (and lacks secondary meaning), and also that she's asserting it against uses that aren't trademark infringement to begin with. I could see some arguments that it is generic, but I think they're weaker because the word isn't really a generic term for the goods at issue.

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

on the plus side I've picked up 25 new followers on twitter in a little less than 24 hours - mostly as a result of discussing #byefaleena with other authors. The same thing happened with #misandryinpublishing

5. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Exactly! She's partly disappeared from facebook ...

And she put a video up which was over an hour long of her complaining about being attacked by all the other authors out there. She brought autism into the rant (wtaf?!) and then went on about how everyone should have dreams and be able to fulfil those dreams and "do what they want". Yeah, right, unless it's a dream that she holds the fricken TM on!

Another author, wrote her an open letter which is actually quite good, and I think it hits the mark spot on. Regardless of how long she's been writing, she's only published within the last few years and really doesn't "get it", doesn't get how things work, how situations, plots, character names, words and titles can overlap because hey, there are only 26 letters in the English language and a finite number of combinations ...

There were over 17k signatures on the petition. 17k people can't all be wrong!

I hear (and see) JK Rowling has been tagged numerous times in various tweets as Hopkins had spouted off to another author that she actually held the copyright to "the character name 'Luna'."

Linz and Catrin Lewis like this.
  6. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

But if I use Nike in a book based around Greek Godesses, Nike the shoe people wouldn't come after me, and Apple haven't exactly told fruit growers to change the name of their fruit to tree potato!

If she wanted to trademark anything, she should've trademarked "The Cocker Brothers" or "The Cocky Series"

Linz and John-Wayne like this.
  7. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

I suddenly have the urge to create a new character named cocky Luna or luna the cocky one!

Edit: I think my mercenary group needs a woman, Luna Dephoxia the cocky one.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    cutecat22 likes this.
  8. big soft moose

she also doesn't get that you're better off building bridges than putting up walls - like that Mari lady (as in #bemari) in essence someone contacted her to say that they'd used the same book title and she promoted their book, saying hey lets work together as your readers are my readers.

Some readers can read a book a week (hell some like me can read a book in a day) and no author puts out 52 books every year, so other authors aren't competitors, they are a source of collaborative endeavor and peer support.

Faleena is going to find the author space sad and lonely if she keeps this up... there won't be many people queing up to promote her books or share her posts.

cutecat22 and John-Wayne like this.
  9. big soft moose

you can't copyright a single word ... trademark isnt copyright (although she doesn't seem to understand that either)

10. Steerpike

I know. I believe this has all been covered already, along with the reasons for it. Trademarks are tied to specific goods and services (famous marks get broader rights, however), and they have to be enforced against other trademark uses--not every use of a word is a trademark use.

cutecat22 likes this.
  11. Steerpike

She's ignorant, clearly. I hope the firm who filed her trademark application gave her some decent advice.

cutecat22 likes this.
  12. John-Wayne

Nah! They just took her money and said okay, LOL.!

13. Steerpike

They have to have a good faith basis to make the filing. Which they may have had. But they don’t seem to be advising her on enforcement or any of this other stuff (maybe she doesn’t want to pay their rates).

14. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I can't bring myself to watch the video (second hand embarrassment is soooo painful to me), but based on what's been reported by some folks I know who have, it sounds like this lady is 50 Shades of Batshit Insane.

15. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I can't make the video work - Facebook tells me the page is unavailable. Does anyone have a link that's working currently?

cutecat22 likes this.
  16. Steerpike

Didn’t work for me either. Maybe she took it down.

17. John-Wayne

Lol

cutecat22 and Cave Troll like this.
  18. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

cutecat22, John-Wayne and Cave Troll like this.
  19. John-Wayne

I was hop'n to find the video on Youtube... but nope.. it's out there somewhere. Just a matter as to where to look. Funny enough, her official YouTube channel has comments and ratings disabled. LOL. And she is one self absorbed fucked up bitch.

cutecat22 likes this.
  20. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

I've picked up a couple-three more over it, but I haven't been as active in commenting on this matter as you. :supercool:

21. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

That's what I'm suspecting. She could afford them for the filing, but now she's following up on her own, using the big Hollywood law firm's name as a threat.

My theory, anyway.

22. big soft moose

She better hope they don't make a legal issue of her making false representation of what they've advised

23. John-Wayne

Oh man! The show just keeps getting better, LOL. I love to see this happen, lol.

Shenanigator and cutecat22 like this.
  24. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I don't know if this is the video, but I found this. Good Lord she is full of herself (Cocky definitely applies). I couldn't watch much of it at all.... it goes on and on forever.

Cave Troll and John-Wayne like this.
  25. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

And IT'S already down. She's doing some scrambling, that's for sure!