Author has trademarked common word; threatening other authors over its use

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Catrin Lewis, May 7, 2018.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I doubt you'll see substantial changes to trademark law at the moment. Congress doesn't appear to have much interest in it.

The idea of protecting readers is nonsense. Trademarks do serve a consumer protection role, in part, but that's not really significant when it comes to this scenario, because the name of the author is right on the book. If her series were big enough to have multiple authors writing it, then it's a better argument.

cutecat22 and John-Wayne like this.
  2. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Good Boi Contributor

I’ve got zero sympathy for her.

I mean, I feel like I should, because she obviously has problems. But she deliberately tried to victimize and take advantage of other authors.

Yep. Zero sympathy.

The best thing she could do now is drop it completely, apologize, change her name, and try to move on and be a better person. There’s no recovering from this.

3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I love her math fail. "6 photos for 45.99 on shutterstock, that's 10$ a piece."
    Yeah, lady it makes me sad that you have been successful with your derpy
    Cock boy series, and it also kinda hurts. :(

cutecat22 and John-Wayne like this.
  4. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

What makes it worse is when you realize she's been publishing rough drafts as finished work. She pumps them out 1 a month. You can't write anything of quality in a single month.

And as I mentioned before, and you've even followed it took me 4 months to write most of my draft, and I still have another month before I'm finished approximately. And that's just the rough draft, then there's the revision, the beta read, and then the next revision.

Her books has to be generic

Shenanigator and Cave Troll like this.
  5. John-Wayne

Also one more thing, as someone who is listening to this like a podcast and not seeing her facial expressions, I can hear the mental illness.

Edit: LMFAO, oh I forgot about that, apparently she has a movie in the works as well. LOL

Trish, cutecat22 and Cave Troll like this.
  6. Cave Troll

Wow, I wish I had my first draft done in 4 months. :)
    Been almost a year and some months, and only most
    of the way there.

I would never publish anything of novel length in a month,
    let alone be done with something of that scale that quickly.

John-Wayne likes this.
  7. John-Wayne

Yeah even I'm surprised it took only four months, well technically 5 months when I'm actually finished. I gave myself a year to write the rough, so it feels nice to be ahead of schedule! But there's still a lot of work to do!

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. Cave Troll

I have been watching bits and pieces, and listening as well.
    It boggles me with her inability to focus on anything for more
    than a few minutes. Maddening I tells ya, maddening. :rofl:

John-Wayne likes this.
  9. John-Wayne

Just wait for someone to review her book, then watch the video of it. I think there may already be one I'll check it out after work!

Cave Troll likes this.
  10. Cave Troll

I think this comment on the video sums the whole thing up neatly.

I'm popping some popcorn to eat while I watch this psycho former author rant about how WE are bullying her. She started it. What did you THINK was going to happen Faleena darling? All you have to do is apologize, stop trying to make money off so-called trademark infringement violations (which is ridiculous considering it's a common English word and others used it LONG before you did), and say you were wrong for sending those poorly-worded C&D emails to your "fellow" authors. Then, and only then could you maybe, possibly reinvent yourself. But probably not. I'd say your days in the book industry are long over. Your only hope now is to write under a pen name. Even then, I'm not so sure...

Shenanigator and John-Wayne like this.
  11. Steerpike

Michael Moorcock apparently wrote a lot of his early novels in a few days. They're relatively short--60-65K words or so, but they're not generic. It's also unclear what kind of drugs he was on.

Cave Troll, Trish and John-Wayne like this.
  12. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

Did start to listen to the video but gave up. It all sounds a little like the guy who ranted at a poster for rating his novel on Amazon as a 1 star (if I remember rightly) and then gave it an honest, but hard, review. He basically imploded; there was a thread devoted to his novel, which was bad.
    I get why she wants to protect her investment but, like a lot of people, seems to be getting some really bad advice, or surrounding herself with people who only tell her yes.
    And writing a novel in a month I suppose is possible, if you are full time and are a fast writer, but surely you would let it stand for a few months at least before even editing?

Iain Aschendale and Shenanigator like this.
  13. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

To be fair there are high volume authors out there (who are necessarily indies because trad publishers work to a much longer time scale) who are are doing it properly.

(blog here https://insights.bookbub.com/write-12-books-6-months-grow-sales-populate-backlist/ )

The thing is that they don't necessarily have to produce 1 a month in order to release one a month - they could build up a stock pile first (personally i can't think of anything worse but people do)

Also with no disrespect to more talented romance authors she's writing pretty much formulaic slush ... I'd be willing to bet that there isn't much difference between Cocky Lover and Cocky husband (or whatever). Its a lot quicker to write the same book with a few names and situations changed over and over again than it is to write genuinely different stories.

Also to be fair it is quicker to write in a series than it is to write stand alones.

ETA: scratch all that i just read the look inside of cocky biker - IMO its fucking terrible

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Linz, John-Wayne and Trish like this.
  14. Steerpike

There is much cringing to be had.

John-Wayne and Trish like this.
  15. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Well ive got the first line for my next dusty novel

"Hi my name is Selena Lopkins [see what i did there] and I'm being attacked, I beseech the money grabbers to back. The. fuck. OFF "

British Gun for hire Dusty Miler had doubts about the bodyguard job from the start. The principal seemed self obsessed, deluded, and generally a trial to be around... and she had mad eyes. Altogether not a great combination

But money is money and beggars can't be choosers. Only when the job went south in a deluge of gunfire did Dusty realise that Ms Lopkins was the victim of an international conspiracy featuring the Illuminati, the united states government, and the third reich reborn. duh duh duh durrrrrrrrrrr :superlaugh:

16. big soft moose

IMO thats a pretty big if. Shes a drama llama ... someone on twitter said "this is nuts you should be sectioned" and in her head it became " and I've been threatened with being locked up in a mental hospital"

ETA assuming this is legit it doesn't look like her designers are included

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  17. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

Could be my next read. Come on, where is it? I must have it! :eek:

John-Wayne likes this.
  18. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

you, and I, and countless other authors know this, but she doesn't ...

19. cutecat22

I
    I just can't understand how the TM people actually let this go through in the first place ...??

20. cutecat22

IF, she had TM'd the word, in that specific font ... then I can actually understand why she wanted to protect her "brand" but, BUT!!! that doesn't mean that no one else can use the word.

BUT ... the font she used was un-TM-able (according to the font designer) And if she had only been given the TM based on THAT font only, then why are Amazon now deleting books with the word cocky in the title, AND deleting reviews for ALL books where the word cocky is used in the review !? (as in, I liked the character, even though he was cocky ...)

Is she going to go after George Lucas for writing the word in Star Wars, A New Hope?? (think it was Han Solo who said to Luke, "don't get cocky"

John-Wayne likes this.
  21. cutecat22

she removed it, and her facebook page not long after doing it, I watched about an hour - when I say watched, I listened to it while I was tinkering in the bathroom/bedroom/kitchen.

22. cutecat22

My thoughts too, because the letter/messages/D&C she sent to authors, was actually from her personally, it was not from a layer or on headed paper ...

John-Wayne likes this.
  23. cutecat22

that's the one!!!

24. Steerpike

Her trademark protection isn't limited to the typeface. She has one registration for "cocky" in stylized letters (e.g. the typeface) and another registration for "cocky" simply as a word mark, which means it isn't limited to a particular typeface.

Whether the creator of the typeface has an enforceable license agreement against use in trademark registration is a separate issue. In the U.S., a typeface isn't protectable by copyright law, so it's not certain that the font owner could impose such terms via a license. Some people are arguing that having the license term is copyright misuse, but I'm not convinced that it is.

cutecat22 likes this.
  25. cutecat22

she doesn't, one of her books has various mistakes on the first page, including missing closing speech marks ...

John-Wayne and Cave Troll like this.