1. Lifeline

Lifeline North of South. Contributor

Authors' websites

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Lifeline, Jul 22, 2020.

I hope I'm in the right subforum...

Recently I've bought my writer's domain. Now, don't go looking yet because there's nothing up yet. So far, I'm surfing the web, look at other authors' websites and try to learn from them what to do/what not to do, before I set up my own (and make lots of newbies mistakes).

Maybe you can help me make a list of good authors' webspaces? I'm not looking at the quality of their books, but if they present themselves engaging and intuitive in the web. Of course, if they are able to market their books through their webpresence, all to the better.

That said: I really like https://jamigold.com/ webspace. It's a bit complicated to set up, and she's a lot of different topics (and I wouldn't advertise my name in block letters filling the whole of the screen), but otherwise it's easy to navigate.

Which author's website are you favouring and why?

2. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Senior Member

From what I read on the subject, in preparation, you have to always keep at the front of your mind the fact that your website is only really there to do a few things

-promote your book
    -promote your mailing list
    -inform the visitors of other books

The website is an advertisement of you and your work, essentially.

While that sounds cold, it means you should make sure to have those three things on the first page that your visitor sees. Jami's site is odd because the first time i load it, it gives a weird "Psst message" which puts me off, and doesn't do any of the above. Then you have to scroll down to see what you want out of the site, then the site re-loads the original part of the page with a book. It's not very efficient at getting the three points across.
    Having links to the pages that do is good, but you need to minimize the amount of effort the visitor needs to see your product down to zero and the instant the visitor loads the page. Once you have that stuff out of the way, then let them delve deeper. Because at the end of the day, 99% of all visitors will visit your website because of your books and will be interested in your new book or the previous ones. The smallest percentage of people will want to actually know about the author or delve deeper.
    It's a tough pill to swallow, but that's the essence of knowing who visits your website and why.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  3. jannert

jannert Who? Whooo? Staff Supporter Contributor

This is an excellent one, and there is lots under the hood. His blog is always well worth reading and he interacts with his followers really well.

https://joeabercrombie.com/

4. Lifeline

Lifeline North of South. Contributor

Thanks @jannert for this link. Really an excellent site, less on-the-nose marketing than Jami but the reader can immediately find what's important—his books!

Steve Rivers likes this.