1. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

Auto correct is it a good thing?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by sprirj, Feb 11, 2017.

I write using a computer. The programme I use second guesses every single word I type. The issue I have is that I type looking at the keyboard, rather than the screen. So when I misspell something, the computer auto corrects it, with its best guess, and I don't this the result until I read it back. Mostly, this works, sometimes though, I fail to spot it and the computer has guessed incorrectly. So I get some odd sentences. The weird thing is, I like some of the alternatives. As it skews tradional sayings into something far more creative, and therefore more interesting to read. But is it cheating?

Laurus likes this.
  2. Laurus

Laurus Disappointed Idealist Contributor

It's arguably just another tool in your arsenal. A computer has no sense of creativity, only logic. So while it may not be strictly your creativity at work, it's not exactly stealing another's creativity either. Is it cheating to input values into a double pendulum simulator and present the results as your own art? You may not have created it but it was your direct influence that caused its creation. But I don't know, it's an interesting question. I'm sure others have a more coherent answer.

3. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

I'd say it's a tool in your arsenal.

If you want to write on a computer, I really would suggest practicing with a typing learning software such as Mavis Beacon (I got put through version 9 when I was a kid) mostly because you can review your sentences as you go. The version of MB I used had you practice with a replica keyboard on the screen so I wound up learning the feeling of the position of the keys, if that makes any sense. When I use a new keyboard I will make typos because different keyboards have different size keys and spacing, but after a bit I can work around that.

The problem may not be as obvious as a submission on 'Damn You Auto-Correct' but it is worth reading things over as you go along either way.

4. TheeFreakShowee

TheeFreakShowee New Member

Can't deny auto correct is definitely useful, and saves time. But, it tends to make people 'un-learn' spelling as a skill, and can make it impossible to figure out complicated words. So, when you need to write by hand for something or other, that can really screw you. So it is worth practicing without auto correct when you can. Also, looking down when typing can really ruin your neck, so you might want to look into learning to watch the screen when you type. Try a free-to-play typing game online; Typer Shark is a good one. It goes by fast so you have to watch the game, not your fingers. ;)

LazyBear and Laurus like this.
  5. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

Well when I say keyboard, it's a touch screen, so have no feel for the keys and if I hover my finger too close over two keys the programme guesses a letter somewhere in the middle, eg I might press a and f and the programme sees this as d. Fun times

6. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

I find that's even less reliable than physical keys, I know my writing on my phone (I use Google Drive when I note stuff I've concocted on the move) but auto-correct will get things mixed up. Character outlines are the worst, since I am using names from multiple origins, even without that, occasionally I'll come back to something and cringe because of what wound up actually being there.

7. TheeFreakShowee

TheeFreakShowee New Member

Have to agree with S A Lee, plus a screen keyboard tends to have a much shorter lifespan, and getting the slightest bit of water/dust on it can make the keys very inaccurate (though you should be able to re-calibrate). There are decent keyboards for $10 on Amazon or other places, if you're in need of one. Logitech is cheap and reliable. Just swipe over the keys with a slightly damp rag once a month and you're pretty much good to go. Or knock it out once in a while, but you shouldn't even have to clean inside to keep it decent.

8. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

Cheating implies there are rules. There aren't any, so it's not.

I find autocorrect pretty annoying most of the time. I find it far easier to find and fix typos than to spot things corrected to the wrong word.

9. Martin Beerbom

Martin Beerbom Senior Member

In general, it is a useful tool. For instance, to type special characters that are not there on the keyboard (e.g., the en- and em-dash), or to correct those common typos (where each one of us has their own set of). It's also helpful to speed up typing on touch-screen keyboards.

The problem is the current application of it. Two things come to mind:

1) Currently, most autocorrect system work too aggressively in changing correctly spelled words with OTHER correctly spelled words. No, stupid thing, I really want THAT word, not THIS.

2) It does not elegantly segue into correcting misapplication of autocorrect. I frequently end up having to re-type words multiple times because it either doesn't grok I do not want what it suggests and keeps suggesting, or stops correcting altogether when I have a wrongly spelled word and don't use the exact kind of magic key sequence.

10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I use a computer, but the writing program I use is similar to Word.
    It has only screwed up once when it said I misspelled sympathetic,
    and I did not realize that I had changed it to symptomatic when it
    offered up the correct word I might have wanted.

Cell phones seem to screw up on the regular. Though as it has been
    mentioned it is faster for them to get to accent tags and such that
    are not as quick to insert on a computer.

Take the good with the bad on either side of the aisle. :)
    I will keep my old school manual way, seeing as auto
    correct tends to make many more mistakes over all.
    And I am use to typing on a normal keyboard, since
    that is what I grew up learning to use.

Trish likes this.
  11. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

No- it's not cheating, if it works for you, it's all good. You made the decision on whether to fix or leave it, so ultimately it's still your work.

Personally I hate typing on onscreen keyboards. It takes me forever, and I've pretty much come to the conclusion that auto-correct is the devil. It does help at times, but in the case of my phone it makes things unintelligible far more often than it helps. With a physical keyboard I am fast and (mostly) accurate, so it's the way I prefer.

Cave Troll likes this.