1. mollymorrson

mollymorrson New Member

Back ache.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mollymorrson, Dec 2, 2012.

I have been lurking here a little while now, posted a couple of questions and had a couple of very helpful answers - for which i thank those of you who advised me.
    So i thought i should get to know you all and start posting in other areas of the forum too.

For my first post, i would like to ask advice on backache. I think it might be from sitting and writing for too long. I have taken painkillers, stopped writing to walk around a little and now have a hot compress on my lower back and am prone on the sofa.

Does anyone have any advice? Any useful and gentle exercises i could do to strengthen the compensating muscles and stop it getting worse? I've had it for nearly a week now and i think its just getting more and more painful.

Molly

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sounds a lot more serious than from just sitting too long... i've been sitting and writing at a typewriter and computer for over 30 years and no fatigue back pain i've ever had [and i've had plenty!] was that severe...

you need to see a doctor... better go right away...

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It could also be your position when working on your writing. See your doctor, as Maia recommends. If he or she doesn't bring up ergonomics of your work station, ask. Often a few adjustments (chair seat height, lumbar support, keyboard height, screen height and distance) can make all the difference.

4. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

See a doctor or a dentist. I suffered from severe back pain, now completely gone. The dentist told me it was because the Frenulum of my tongue was too short. I's completely gone mow, after five minutes of surgery and some tongue exercises.

It could be just posture. There are some ergonomic chairs that are comfortable and work great if you sit much at work or home.

But go see a doctor.

A simple trick for the pain: if you can sleep prone on your belly, just do it with a leg bent and one straight, arms raised to the sides of your head.
    But I'm a personal trainer, not a doctor, so you might need an expert's advice.

5. Ian J.

Ian J. Active Member

I have a back problem where one of my discs is damaged, probably a bit thin. Anyhoo, if I don't do some specific exercises (a pelvic lift while lying on the floor on my back) then I can get pain that's difficult to cope with.

As others have said see your doctor, as any treatment you need will be specific to you and can't simply be copied from what someone else needs.

6. alcarty

alcarty New Member

Taking frequent breaks for a walk is not only good for the back, but you can think about your story or poem while your feet are working. Put a pencil and notepad in your pocket, lean against a tree, throw a rock, spit with the wind. If that fails, remember Hemingway did a lot of typing while on his feet.

7. philaz

philaz New Member

Try a pillow behind your lower back. It helps me.

8. creativevomit

creativevomit Member

It's all about having the right posture while sitting. After doing research I have found that despite popular belief sitting up straight is actually bad for your back. Rather than hunching forward or sitting up straight, you should sit leaning back slightly. It is said that 135 degrees is the perfect angle for sitting. Try even standing at times while writing to give your break.

But it may have nothing to do with sitting at all. See a doctor or Chiropractor for an experts diagnosis.

9. Hambone

Hambone Member

Good advice. May sound silly, but sleeping with a pillow between your legs helps with disc discomfort also. If it doesn't get better, see a doc.