1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Barracks shift... thingie.

Discussion in 'Research' started by Wreybies, May 12, 2020.

When I was stationed at Tempelhof, very few of us were day-hos (regular 9-5). We were all shifty SCIF-rats.

We had these little octagonal plastic thingies with corresponding holders next to each of our barracks room doors with the shifts on 4 of their sides. You turned it to let the flight know if you were on days, swings, mids, or off, and you had to use it.

For any with similar backgrounds, is that little shift thingie a one off, or is that a common thing? I don't remember them at all in my short stint at Chicksands RAF. Their mission was similar and we were technically a joint operation.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  2. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Sometimes a Sergeant Major would order it as a respectful thing for the Marines at the barracks, which would just be a whiteboard on each door with shifts for everyone to ignore. More likely than not though, nobody gave a fuck what shift you were on. Duty SNCOs would blast into your room for a working party and tell you to get fucked if you complained, and then hit you with a broom. Fun times at the barracks. I happily left them behind.