1. PrincessBatman92

PrincessBatman92 New Member

Beginner looking for advice

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PrincessBatman92, Oct 15, 2018.

[redacted by admin] - Wreybies

hi so I have recently been getting into writing, reading loads, looking through the posts on this site and I’ve written some story but I feel the plot runs too fast and I’m looking for ways for it to be slowed down. I will post what I have and any feedback and advice would be appreciated.

I am really trying hard on this I’ve been working on trying to create a book for ages.

2. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

Hey, first of all, welcome to the forum!

Second, it sounds like this is your first attempt at writing a book, correct? Some advice given to me by an award-winning author: The first draft is just there to exist. Basically, you're telling the story to yourself, figuring it out, figuring out the characters, the world, etc. Once you finish the first draft, read it over, figure out which parts worked and which parts didn't, and rewrite it from the ground up.

Getting caught up in editing the first draft is a great way to get yourself stuck and never manage to finish it. You need to finish the story before worrying about editing. Editing and creating are two different thought processes, it's better to be concentrating on one or the other. With time and experience you'll be able to do better first drafts, but that takes time, and experience.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Also, be sure to look through the Forum Rules for our little slice of the digital pie. Every venue has its particularities and we're not different. ;)

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    :superhello:
    Lego Batman Gasp.gif
    Good luck and have fun. :supersmile:

5. DumbersTC

DumbersTC New Member

Hi, I'm also an aspiring writer too.