Being politically correct

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by JennyM, Feb 23, 2013.

1. E. C. Scrubb

E. C. Scrubb Active Member

:D

That's a Northwest U.S. trait. Least it was when I grew up. Too cold during the evenings to go without socks, but shoes are just too heavy in the mid daytime heat. Unless of course, you're from the western side of Oregon/Washington. There it is (or I should say, was) an imperative if you were young, since you had to where Birkenstocks to show you were a true neo-hippy. Of course, doing so in the middle of September or October necessitated socks - and thick ones at that.

2. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

All in context. Drop the N bomb in a novel set with today's standards where the word is treated as any other word might cause some issues.
    However if your character is racist then the reader will understand it is within character and not be offended. And the same goes for times in history, we cant ignore that, if you have a black charter in your novel and its set in Alabama back in the 1800's he will encounter it and the N bomb would be used more freely. We can hide our heads in the sand but its true. But you should not let this run you novel, as a story revolving totally around hate will attract negative feelings (my be what you are going for, so in that case brace yourself for the complaints). Take to kill a mocking bird, it had racism but we understood it was at the time when racism was the norm. But it managed to tug at our heart strings by the way a minority stood against it.

I had to kill a mocking bird in mind and is why I was using said example. I understand there are many forms of racism.
    Maybe one day we won't need to mention it ever again....that would be nice just a planet full of people with amazing and different characteristics. :)

3. njslater

njslater New Member

Especially in historical fiction where the readers have usually a highly developed sense of period it is vital not to impose 21st century views on ancient characters. I write about a soldier in Afghanistan in 1879 at the beginning of my latest novel and have been criticised for his "orientalist views" He is an upper class Victorian officer defending the boundaries of the Empire. He is unlikely to lament the erosion Afghani freedoms caused by the vile Empire building of Queen Victoria!! He is also a man pushing the boundaries of thinking in the late 19th century but I don't think the reader in question got that far!