Tags:
  1. NoexcusesJenn

NoexcusesJenn New Member

Being stalked by an animal

Discussion in 'Research' started by NoexcusesJenn, May 17, 2020.

Hello Everyone.

I am in the middle of writing a novel. Currently my group is traveling and I would like to have them stalked by a pack of savage wolves. I am having trouble with describing how that would take place.

Thanks!

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Traveling on foot, horseback, car? How large is the group, are they armed, and if so how? Are they outdoors-savvy people, or cubicle-dwellers completely out of place in the natural world? Also, what kind of genre is the story—action/adventure, horror, something else? Contemporary setting, or historical? Is the stalking a major part of the story or just a side thing that happens along the way? I would need to understand these things before giving a decent response.

3. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Is the group only stalked by the wolves or are they eventually attacked? I suppose they are eventually attacked. If so I can recommend the video linked below.
    During a wolf attack, the pack seems to circle the prey and attack from directions the prey is not observing. Constantly attacking from various directions, tiring the prey.

Viewer discretion is advised on this video:

Gosh, Wallstreet just isn't the same these days...

Accelerator231 and Cdn Writer like this.
  4. Fervidor

Fervidor Senior Member

As opposed to a pack of, like, civilized wolves?

Anyway, I don't really see what this has to do with character development. Should probably be in Research.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  5. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    Maybe they're werewolves? It would make sense they might be somewhat civilized if they had some human tendencies?

Scott

Xoic likes this.
  6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Sure. Why not aliens dressed like wolves?

Cdn Writer likes this.
  7. Aldarion

Aldarion Active Member

Cdn Writer likes this.
  8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

wolves are endurance hunters, they will pursue their prey until it has to stop, then comes the final attack at which point the prey can't resist effectively due to exhaustion.

they generally only attack people when starving and out of other food sources, or if rabid (a rabid wolf will not be with the pack and will attack in a frenzy)... because they have learnt over time that people mean danger

however if you want to reflect a hunt, every time your protagonist looks back they'll see a wolf, there'll be wolves circling around them in the trees coming closer... as the point of attack draws near they'll start making rushes at the rear of the party harrying them and testing their defences... if you have firearms a shot will drive them off, but if they are truly desperate they'll return... no mater how fast your party moves they'll be with it, if you climb trees for safety they suround them... if you stop and build a fire you'll hear them move in the dark beyond the circle of firelight..

your biggest issue will be to find a way for your protagonists to escape the stalk, absent reaching the safety of the town or being recued by a well armed group

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  9. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    There's a movie with Liam Neelson in it...."The Grey" I think which has Liam's character fighting off a pack of wolves after a plane crash in the northern part of North America....probably Alaska. I didn't really care for the video but maybe you'll enjoy it? Call it "research" if anyone asks.

Scott

Xoic likes this.
  10. Xoic

That unfortunate moment when a typo makes your sentence mean the exact opposite of what it was supposed to... :D

Cdn Writer likes this.
  11. Xoic

I did some research into wolves a few years ago when one was spotted in our neighborhood. I walk my dog, so I was worried. It turns out (and I have no idea if there are any dogs in your group so this might be completely irrelevant) wolves can basically beat the tar out of dogs. Their fighting methods are much more fierce. Whereas a dog will generally go for the throat, wolves will work on the legs first to disable the prey and keep it from escaping, or anything they can get to like the tail or belly—injure and weaken them, and then go for the kill. their bite strength is way more powerful than that of dogs (I don't remember how it compares to pit bulls, but I think it's far stronger).

Edit—you know what? that doesn't sound right,. Dogs will go for hands (of people I mean), legs, and whatever they can get ahold of too. I might be mis-remebering it. Don't take it at face value, if you want to use it look into it first.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  12. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

editted - i started off by saying they don't attack people unless... then editted it, whoopsie

Cdn Writer and Xoic like this.
  13. big soft moose

wolves also have about three times the bite pressure of even a big dog... these issues are why when wolves were hunted by wolf hounds the dogs were used to flush, separate, and corner a single wolf which was then killed with bow or spear... the dogs were not expected to go in for the kill because that would only end one way

Cdn Writer, Aldarion and Xoic like this.