Being too graphic?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Daniel, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Hellbent

Hellbent New Member

Like the way you word things, correct?

2. AeroDillo

AeroDillo New Member

I think if you've got something against graphic descriptions, it's best that you avoid taking your characters to those places where graphic description becomes a necessity.

Omission is a lesser sin that poor execution.

3. Casey

Casey New Member

I agree with IndianaJane. Graphic writing is simply another tool in the author's toolbox. If it's appropriate then use it. If it's not appropriate then don't use it.

4. Lily

Lily New Member

I always get self-conscience when describing a scene that involves anything graphic, I just imagine my Mom or Bishop reading it and delete it.
    Other then that, I like things that are put in a classy-way. Some of the books I've read, (George R.R. Martin is very graphic at times), bother me when they get too graphic because it sort of jolts the story out of place for a moment. And sometimes the writers can be just plain gross. But that's just me, I'm probably more sensitive then most.

5. Samson Michael

Samson Michael Member

The use of graphic content in stories can be a tool to driving the story, or an idea within a, to a front. While I find violence for violence sake to be completely stupid, graphic content can also add depth and intensity to a story. I think a really good example of this is the opening scene to "Saving Private Ryan." That movie would have lost something had that opening scene on Normandy not been as graphic. It set the mood for the entire movie. This can be emulated in writing as well. I feel that sex is much the same as violence. I'm not offended by either. At least sex is a whole lot more natural than someone disemboweling someone else with a dull butter knife.

6. Daemon Wolf

Daemon Wolf Senior Member

I could care less honestly. As long as it doesn't draw away from the main story. I think if you're going to kill a man graphically you should probably be writing about a traumatic event of a character or maybe other lines because otherwise I don't find the need to write it graphically. Basically if it fits the story.

7. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

Really, the only yardstick I use is whatever the story calls for. I personally hate fight scenes or combat that is glossed over. I want to know that the author knows what he or she is writing about. If the author can't be bothered to find out, I can't be bothered to read it either. That doesn't mean a how-to manual, but when the gun or sword or knife or club is used, it better be used correctly.

Same goes for sex. I write in exquisite detail for those who want to know what actually happens. If sex offends you, don't read erotica. Only children peek at things from between their fingers.

8. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I don't like graphic violence in literature, in the same way I don't like it in films. This certainly isn't from any moral standpoint, but I just see it as a sign of weakness. There's nothing clever about shocking or disgusting people. It's the same when people try to write urban stuff and litter it with foul language. Yes, the foul language is out there, but many tend to use it as a tool, adopting the logic that the more swear words they include, the more urban and authentic it will sound.

Graphic violence has its place, of course. How could one write a novel about, for instance, football hooliganism without including violent scenes? But don't use it for the sake of it. Don't use it thinking it will add weight to your story, just because it's there.

9. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

If it's important to the story, character development and/or theme, add it in. That said, I personally shy from graphic scenes added just for shock value. Not that a healthy amount of it is necessarily bad.

Use your best judgment call, is thinking.

Daemon Wolf likes this.