1. Randomthought31

Randomthought31 New Member

Believeability & possibility

Discussion in 'Research' started by Randomthought31, Jan 24, 2008.

First of all, do you think it's possible to, in the current time, break out of prison?

and could you possibly give me ideas on how to go about doing it? for a novel I'm working on. I want to spice it up with a bit more action but I'm not sure at this point how to do that.

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Hey anything spossible. Though I think its unlikely that someone can break out of prison...

Although there was this one time in the Netherlands that a guy droze a bulldozer into a prison wall and freed the prisoners (Ironically breaking out/in of/to prison isn't a crime there).

There were two guys in the states, who dug a hole along the prison wall, a few spoonfulls day and after two years actually tried an escape. They got caught when the tunnel collapsed and the guards had to dig them out.

Another time two prisoners somehow got their hands on all black clothing, grappling hooks, and keys to their cells (I don't think they ever found out how they did it). One night they tried to using the grapping hooks to scale the walls but got trapped on the barbed wire on the top. Again the guards had to save them. You'd think they'd have enough brains to bring some wire cutters.

3. Randomthought31

Do you know if they still move prisoners and under what conditions?

and how do they go about it?

4. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

They still move prisoners, though I don't know how they go about it. I know of the bus and the guards with a shot gun and the cuffs to the seats thing but I don't know if that's true.

5. Randomthought31

Alright, well thanks for the help.

Now to figure out how many, approximate, guards each one of these busses caries.

6. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I hope your not attempting a prison break :p

Good Luck. Don't worry. Someone around here must have more details than me.

7. Randomthought31

Lol nah. I'll post my plot if you wish me too. (it's altered at the moment because my creative writing teacher suggested that it would be exceptionally difficult to make a believeable prison escape.

8. Lawfire

Lawfire Member

It is possible, though very, very difficult. It happened in recent years in here in Michigan. It was an inside job...a male inmate developed a relationship with a female employee, and she helped him escape.

I don't know how other states handle prisoner movements, but I don't think that Michigan uses the large buses too often anymore. I do know they use vans, plain looking on the outside, and do not let the inmate know exactly when they are going to move until they do. This is to prevent setting up an ambush to help someone escape.

Most jails (not prisons) have two sheriff's deputies transport their inmates. I know that's how most inmates get to prison from jail.

9. Randomthought31

thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I decided to write a completely different story because I just couldn't get a good beginning. Right now I would like to know if it's possible to amputate a leg on a deserted island without a doctor present and what tools you might need.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A blade, something to tie off the leg while the amputation was taking place, and something to cauterize the wound. And, of course a lot of luck with regards to not having a fatal infection set in, or death from shock.

Also, the odds of survival would be much lower if it were a self-amputation.

An anaesthetic would lessen the risk of death by shock.

11. Randomthought31

Hmmm...well, they do have a partial plane nearby...and they've fashioned a hatchet from a chunk of metal and tree branch. They can sterilize that in boiling water...

Also, by the way, there's 5 survivors, so it's someone else who amputates the other person's leg.
    would the following materials work?:

A shirt
    A make-shift hatchet sterilized in boiling water
    A fire

Now I just need something to carterize the leg (it's just the ankle, only cutting off the foot because the guy stepped on a sharp piece of metal in the water while trying to catch fish and it gouged his foot open pretty badly.

Is that enough to require amputation?

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

a hiker who was trapped by a fallen boulder amputated his own arm and then hiked out to safety... check out how he did it:
    trapped hiker amputates own arm - Google Search

13. Randomthought31

That is kind of helpful. I already knew you had to chop it off; however, I need to know how you'd stop the bleeding. what specific items did he use from the first aid kit?

14. Lawfire

Lawfire Member

This might get a little graphic, so please beware...

Cutting off a limb at a joint should be surprisingly easy. The only things holding the joint together would be tendons and ligaments. To cut off a foot the best thing to do would be to place a tourniquet around the bottom of the leg just above the ankle. It should be cinched very tightly. After that all you would need is a very sharp blade. Cut the skin, tendons and ligaments, and it should come right off. There might be a little persuasion needed (tugging on it).

The whole area would need to be kept clean and sterile. If there was some bleeding the tourniquet should be tightened or the wound cauterized, but that would be my last resort. A large wound like that would be very open to infection, and should get professional care ASAP.

As far as if a bad cut on the foot required amputation, I'd say no. I'd just try to stop the bleeding as best I could. Using clean cloth bandages, apply direct pressure to the wound. If that didn't work, you could try the tourniquet, but that would likely cause loss of the foot sooner or later. Home-made stitches and cauterization would be more dramatic options. ;)

If the foot was hopelessly trapped, or severely crushed might be a good reason to amputate in the wild, but I think most people would try to keep their foot unless there was little other choice.

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

first off, forget the boiling water. The hatchet would be better sterilized directly in the flame. The same hatchet could nbe used to cauterize the stump, heating in the fire and using the heated metal to sear the ends of the arteries and veins.

Amputation would probably only be necessary if the injury became seriously infected (no one was checking it, or he wouldn't admit it wasn't getting better).

16. Randomthought31

Well, he cuts it on a rusty piece of metal from the plane that happend to be in the water. and it stabbed straight through his foot.

17. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

just google for the stories about that guy and i'm sure you'll learn all the details you need...

18. Shreyass

Shreyass New Member

Amputation huh? Its always possible. Read some war stories. You need a saw, a bandage, maybe many, and if possible morphine, or a piece of wood to make sure the teeth dont grind each other. Good luck.

19. Randomthought31

Could always use a piece of shirt for him to bite down on.

The materials I have closest to that are:

Random first aid supplies found on the plane, a make-shift-hatchet, a fire, a shirt for cutting off circulation and biting down on.

The guy is going to die later on anyway. He's going to be in so much pain he'll ask one of the others to kill him.