1. zilly

zilly New Member

Best Children's Book (9-12)

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by zilly, Feb 22, 2011.

I remembered loving all of Roald Dahl's stories when I was younger, but, having started on this project, I read them again and was unimpressed. However, I don't easily grasp what particular age groups are capable of understanding, so maybe they are as impressive as I used to believe. The problem I see is that the majority of his books are marketed for the 9-12 age group yet lack a conflict entirely. Although the stories are very creative, they seem rather boring without a conflict.

I'd still have to say that Matilda is my favorite book for this age group. It's easy to read, has a good length, typical Dahl characters, decent conflict, and a happy ending.

What's your favorite book for this age group and why?

Also, what do you think about books at this high of an age group lacking a conflict?

2. Solipsism

Solipsism New Member

I would almost always advice people to read 'his dark materials' as it is a book with many interesting elements; Good characters, good story telling, philosophy, religion, natural science.

I think young people are able to understand a lot. So I wouldn't be so picky about books

3. Solipsism

Solipsism New Member

I would almost always advice people to read 'his dark materials' as it is a book with many interesting elements; Good characters, good story telling, philosophy, religion, natural science.

I think young people are able to understand a lot. So I wouldn't be so picky about books

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I prefer Enid Blyton personally I love the Adventorous Four, or the Adventure books or Famous Five. St Clares, Mallory Towers. Judy Blume is fun. I love Spy Dog and Cows in Action. The first Harry Potter. Narnia. Little Women, Heidi.

My favourite is probably Pamela Brown though - either the Finishing School or Swish of the Curtain although she may be a tad older than this age group. Quickly followed by Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew.

The only Roald Dahl I really enjoyed was Boy - it was fanastic. I prefer his grown up stuff.

5. zilly

zilly New Member

I think this is a great story, but, to me, it's a little too grown up for 9-12. I was impressively absent minded at that age and I'm positive that I wouldn't have understood the majority of it.

I haven't yet read the Phantom Tollbooth. I'm going to pick it up as soon as I get a chance. It seems to have a lot of similarities to what I'd like to write, so I'm curious, if any of you have read it, what you think of it?

6. Mystic_snowfang

Mystic_snowfang New Member

The Warriors Series is a great start to good reading. It is surprisingly mature (lots of death and issues like enviromentalism) however it can be hard to tell it's mature unless you really look.

Unicorn Cronicals by bruce Colvil were some of my favourites when I was much younger.
    Dragon Trainer's academy is loads of fun to read

7. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Matilda was one of my favorite books as a kid. I loved it.
    Roald Dahl is an excellent author for that age group; I read nothing but Roald Dahl when I was around that age. :)

8. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I read a lot of Nancy Drew when I was that age. Trying to remember what other sorts of stuff I read...coming up blank. My siblings who are that age read things like Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Fabelhaven, and the Ranger's Apprentice.

They read the Twilight series, too, but that's such a flipping minefield that I almost don't even want to mention it. ;)

9. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I read a lot of Enid Blyton - Secret Seven, Malory Towers, St Clare's, and Jacqueline Wilson and I must've been around that age. Probably read Roald Dahl at that age too. Josie Smith series and Home Farm Twins but I may have been a bit younger, I don't know. But I can't really remember what I read at what age.

10. poptarts

poptarts New Member

i loved enid blyton, ann m. martin, and r.l. stine when i was younger, and i know if i were to reread them again today i'd probably have a lot to complain. which is why i refuse to reread any of their books. sometimes memories are just best left alone.

if i had to pick the "best children's book" right now, i'd go with peter pan by j.m. barrie. it's gender-neutral and not half as disturbing as most of roald dahl's books are.

11. Gigi_GNR

One of my favorites when I was younger (and even today) was The Secret Garden by Francis Hodgson Burnett. I remember wanting my own garden like Mary; I even planted some flowers around the tree in our backyard and pretended it was my own secret garden. :p

12. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

^ Awesome. :p

I loved The Secret Garden and A Little Princess. How did I forget to mention these in my previous reply?

13. Gigi_GNR

A Little Princess! :D I loved that one, too. At one time I had multiple copies of The Secret Garden. :p