1. Sundae

Sundae New Member

Best First Person POV Books by Genre?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Sundae, May 9, 2011.

What are some of the best first person books you would recommend by Genre?

2. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

One of the best first person, for me, was The Catcher in the Rye. However, it does seem that it's a hit and miss kind of thing for people - half the people I know who've read it love it, and the other half hates it. Some people find the MC, Holden, extremely frustrating and whiny at worst and annoyingly adolescent at best, but I find that the very fact that he has a very clear and distinct voice and personality - albeit one that may not be necessarily likable - is the book's greatest strength, and I generally recommend it for learning characterization and how to shape a character's voice adn attitude.

3. Velox

Velox Member

Yeah, the Catcher in the Rye was amazingly well-written, IMO. More than that, though, I really like Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, from the POV of his main character, Harry Dresden. Those are quite entertaining and exciting reads as well.

Another very well-written book that I just started reading is Secret Sanction, by the not-all-that-well-known-author Brian Haig.

4. arron89

arron89 Banned

I'd have to with American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis, with Rules of Attraction a close second.

5. Leatherworth Featherfist

Leatherworth Featherfist New Member

Flowers for Algernon is a great first person book.
    I strongly recommend it.

6. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

My current favorite first-person POV book (fiction) is the Hunger Games
    As for non-fiction/memoir, I really liked Eat, Pray, Love and The Sex lives of Cannibals (the former is actually really really funny - though the title of the book is a bit misleading)

7. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

I agree especially with Hunger Games and Catcher in the Rye. Also, Sherlock Holmes. Written from Watson's perspective.