1. Veet

Veet New Member

Veet's Island is a joke, I live in South Korea. :)

Best/Worst book in Harry Potter Series?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Veet, Mar 28, 2011.

-This is for hp fans or readers.-
    Harry Potter series by J.K Rowling is a great series. But which is the best and worst book of them? There are 7 books in series-
    1st year- Philospher's (Sorcerer's) Stone
    2nd year- Chamber of Secrets
    3rd year- Prisoner of Azkavan
    4th year- Goblet of Fire
    5th year- Order of Pheonix
    6th year- Half Blood Prince
    7th year- Deathly Hollows
    Vote the best and worst!

2. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

The last time we drove down to Arizona, I rated the books from my favorite to least favorite, and he made fun of me for my choices.

Constantly vying for first and second place in my mind would be Half Blood Prince and Prisoner of Azkaban. Third and forth would be Goblet of Fire and Deathly Hallows, not always in that order, then Sorcerer's Stone, Chamber of Secrets, and, last of all, Order of the Phoenix. I like parts of that book, but it is by far the most difficult one for me to read.

3. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

Get out of my brain! That's the exact same feeling I have about the books.

4. hiddennovelist

Yes!! We're like brain twins. ;)

I forget Joel's ranking of the books, but Deathly Hallows was last. He hated that book. I can't help but feel that he's a little insane.

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I think the first books are easiest and most fun to read, but I prefer the later movies.

6. Ion

Ion New Member

1. Prisoner of Azkaban
    2. Half Blood Prince
    3. Goblet of Fire
    4. Philosopher's Stone
    5. Order of Pheonix
    6. Deathly Hollows
    7. Chamber of Secrets

They're all quite good, but Deathly Hallows spent half the book camping in the woods, and the plot of Chamber of Secrets was a rehash of Philosopher's Stone.

Of course I was a kid when Chamber of Secrets was released, and loved reading it. As a part of a series it reads well.

Prisoner of Azkaban had a lot of really interesting stuff in there, along with a time travel resolution. Half Blood Prince was hilarious what with Harry leading Dumbledore's Army, Fred and George Weasley waging a war against Umbridge, and all the Felix potion scenes.

7. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

I can actually understand your beau's psychosis ;D. Don't get me wrong; it was a wonderful book. It's just the hardest one for me to re-read. Not 'cause of the rather unfortunate deaths. It's just like, a one-time deal for me XP.

But, overall, they'd all be rather equal. Prisoner of Azkaban might be a little farther down the list, though.

8. hiddennovelist

I guess I can see his dislike for it, too. It's just weird for me to wrap my head around because I love it so much. Why doesn't everyone like what I like?? ;) :p

9. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributor Contributor

1. Goblet of Fire
    2. Prisoner of Azkaban
    3. Chamber of Secrets
    4. Philosopher's Stone
    5. Half Blood Prince
    6. Order of the Phoenix
    7. Deathly Hallows

I loved the first four, really. (Might've read Goblet of Fire 21 times, but we won't go there.) But if I HAD to rank them, that's how I would do it. And honestly, I didn't care for the 5th, 6th, or 7th at all. But like I said, if I HAD to rank them, that's how I'd do it.

10. Veet

Veet New Member

Veet's Island is a joke, I live in South Korea. :)
    Wow. It soon became popular! Anyway this is the simple one-
    Best: Year 1,2,3,4. Simple to read, creative, fun
    Worst: Year 5,6,7 Sorry J.K, but these books are too long and complex for me...
    And this is more complex one,

1. P.O.A It introduces lot of characters and have intresting plots!
    2. G.O.F Reasons were same as 1, but P.O.A was bit better.
    3. Harry's first 2 years. Not so complex, intresting story lines.
    4. D.H Hmmm, many people say its the best. But for me, too long and complex, though it was fun and intresting a bit.
    5. H.B.P Same reasons as D.H
    6. O.O.P Tooooooooooooo Long!! I don't like books that is too long. The other reasons are same as D.H.

But I don't hate the Year 5-Year 7 one though... I just less like them.

11. Tonic

Tonic New Member

I enjoyed The Prisoner of Azkaban the most. The introduction of Sirius Black was amazing--he is still my favorite character. The Chamber of Secrets has to be my least favorite. I just remember it as boring.

12. butterbescotch

butterbescotch New Member

1. Deathly Hallows
    2. Prisoner of Azkaban
    3. Goblet of Fire
    7. Order of the Phoenix

I don't know. I just like fugitive protagonist.
    Order of the Phoenix was too long and it is by far the least fun and interesting. You also hear Harry ranting and whining all along the book.

13. Invincible

Invincible New Member

1. Half-Blood Prince: Best plot out of all the books, finally finds Voldemort more than a 'dark bad guy', and the most iconic chapter in all the series 'The Flight of the Prince'

2. Order of the Phoenix: Dark, moody, and mature. Signifies the beginning of the losses well and introduces the most despicable character in the series, Dolores Umbridge.

3. Deathly Hallows: Following Harry's journey puts a damper on the Battle of Hogwarts but the material provided is very emotional and dramatic. Abrupt end and a terrible epilogue aside, the book is very good.

4. Goblet of Fire: Perhaps the most senseless of all the books, but it's a very entertaining read, and it chimes in the serious arc of the story.

5. Prisoner of Askaban: It almost pains me to put this book so low, b/c it's a masterpiece, but all four books ahead have aspects to it that surpass this one.

6. Philosopher's Stone: The original and perhaps the least enjoyable on a re-read, but it is significant.

7. Chamber of Secrets: Works solely as a supplement to the horcruxes in the sixth book. Otherwise, it is repetitive and redundant.