Beware modern slang in historical writing

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by jannert, Mar 22, 2020.

1. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

This got me thinking..... What if a story takes place in the future (idk, for the sake of the argument, the year 3020).... And they use a slang term from the the far past, let's say the 1940s.

:superconfused:

Is that a "writing sin" too? Would it be out of place for the story, the same way using modern slang in historical fiction is out of place for the time period?

jannert likes this.
  2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

You'd have to ask someone from 3020, haha.

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I don't know. Interesting question.

However, to be on the safe side, unless you WANT them to be referencing slang from the 1940s, for some reason, I'd say avoid slang altogether. (Unless you want to create 'new' slang.) But it would depend on the story.

You can't go wrong if you stick to standard English, though. Lots of words there, in that big ol' dictionary, that aren't considered slang or 'informal.'

I reckon if slang usage is deliberate, it will work. However, if it just seems like the writer didn't notice—kinda like if they keep repeating a go-to word or phrase that attracts undue attention to itself—it might not.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The problem with novel slang for future settings is that the average Joe/Jane is unaware of the complex processes that give rise to slang. Not only must the slang serve the intended purpose of slang (mentioned in my prior post), but it must also pay attention to thematic and phonemic trends in the target culture. British slang and American slang and Australian slang all have very different trends they follow. Regardless where you're from, when you hear a bit of slang that's not from your neck of the woods, it sticks out as strange, unusual, hard to define why, but you just know it sounds off.

tl;dr - People are really bad at making up fake slang. They are.

Take for example Larry Niven's tanj (there ain't no justice) from his Known Space novels. Not only is it painfully corny and dorky, it also makes zero sense for that word to form that way. He took a page from words like fubar and snafu and tried to follow that route, which is wrong. The reason fubar and snafu exist in the form they do is to hide the 4-letter word that makes up one of the words in the acronym. Tanj, as an explicative, is not hiding any saucy bit of verbiage. It's a long walk to get to somewhere that makes no sense.

Also, all the horrible, cringey slang in Maze Runner. Just criminal. Fast-forward to 01:45.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  5. Homer Potvin

Nor are they aware of much else for that matter... "Me like book... Me read more!"

No author ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the average reader.

Wreybies likes this.
  6. Wreybies

Hey, man, we all have that thing that gets under our skin. :whistle: :-D Bad neologisms and slang will make me drop a book as fast as glaring plot holes and uncontextualized character description paragraphs. :blech:

7. Homer Potvin

Yeah, I'm gonna slide you into the minority category on that one, bud. Gotta a feeling the airport paperback marketing machine ain't worrying about the likes of you, Jannert, and I.

"Hey, Bob, how can we make this one dumber?"

"I don't know, Jim... add a vampire?"

More tits, more blood, more adverbs, more exclamation points.

8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

thats partly true but its also for brevity - fubar bundy is a lot easier to say that ' fucked up beyond all recovery but unfortunately not dead yet'

sometimes its also for black comedy as with ADASTW, which is another way of medics sometimes say DOA... arrived dead and stayed that way.

i'd agree as swear words though... if i was making them up i'd say with words for bodily functions, and establish the link .. the most obvious example i can think of being richard adams in watership down where at the end Bigwig tells Woundwort "Silflay hraka embleer rah" ... through the previous pages Adams has already established that in lapine silflay= to graze, hraka = the hard pellets of dung that a rabbit deposis after second digestion, embleer= the smell a fox makes, in english it would translate as stinking but to rabbits it is far more offensive than that, and Rah is a suffix meaning chief rabbit

ergo by the penultimate chapter readers understand that silflay hraka embleer rah means 'eat shit stinking chief'

mind you on the flip side there are real life slang terms the original meaning of which gets lost ... for example OMO, in the british forces, is like joady for americans... he's the guy who fucks your girl while you're on deployment... the original meaning came from OMO being a Naafi brand of washing powder (Naafi is like the PX), and allegedly when a battalion deployed wives who were shall we say 'restless in their marriages' would display boxes of OMO in their windows to signify 'old man out'

these days no one's seen a box of OMO for quite some time, the naafi just stocks persil and so forth, but the term persists mostly in marching songs as in

'omo omo six ft four,
    nere had his arse kicked before'
    omo din want reaming wi me knife
    omo shoulda fucked an army wife'

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  9. jannert

I reckon when they came up with FRACK! for Battlestar Galactica, they didn't realize just how bad a word that would actually become. :)

Wreybies likes this.
  10. Wreybies

But frakk is the exception. It's a good bit of faux verbiage. It's got all the right bits without being overworked.

It absolutely sounds like the word it's trying to replace, thus no need for clumsily shoehorned narrative illumination. And phonemically, it's perfect. That initial labiodental fricative F makes for a pressure build-up that is released and then punctuated with the voiceless velar stop of the K.

It's got all the right stuff. ;)

11. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

it makes me laugh when they say frig in american tv series as a polite synonym for fuck, when in the Uk Frig is a swear word in itself refering to the act of female masturbation

Iain Aschendale and jannert like this.
  12. Homer Potvin

Really? As in, "Stop frigging around?" Nice!

13. J.T. Woody

It makes me cringe watching British tv where they talk about cigarettes....:superfrown:

Iain Aschendale, jannert and Wreybies like this.
  14. jannert

Erm...fracking is a really bad word in my vocabulary at the moment. At the moment, it's banned here ...but who knows when it will get trotted out again! :)

15. jannert

Yeah, but nobody around here would name their child Randy. :)

16. big soft moose

in case its not clear Jan is referring to hydraulic fracturing aka fracking to extract gas https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14432401... its vastly unpopular with communities it affects since it causes both geological instability and contamination of ground water

jannert likes this.
  17. big soft moose

or talk about fanny packs

jannert and Iain Aschendale like this.
  18. J.T. Woody

I'm afraid to ask....
    (but i will)

whats wrong with it?

19. Wreybies

It's another word for horny. In the U.S. that particular meaning for that word is somewhat valid, but it has a very old-timie feel to it.

Homer Potvin and J.T. Woody like this.
  20. Homer Potvin

Nothing beats being drunk and randy! Speaking of which, it's almost five o'clock here and my wife gets home at seven, so... wish me luck!

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  21. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    That's a brilliant episode of that series of takedowns.

Also, NADSAT. That one worked.

22. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Well, people do actually say LOL, OMG (although usually ironically), ASAP and other similar acronyms.

23. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

It has the same meaning in the UK. Randy Baumgartner was a source of much amusement on certain British TV programs.

24. Wreybies

Is it still modern currency in the U.K. or does it have that patina I feel over my side of things?

25. J.T. Woody

So, there's a show on Netflix called GLOW. One of the characters husband slept with her (wife's) best friend.
    ....his name was Randy.

And suddenly it makes sense -mind blown-

EDIT!!! NO! his son's name is Randy!
    My comment is now irrelevant :pity:

jannert likes this.