Biggest Plot Pet Peeves?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by frigocc, Mar 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Now you're just outright lieing.

And keep in mind, it takes two to argue, but you've engaged in personal attacks all by yourself.
    Somehow, you think insulting people is okay here (for you to do, anyway), but arguing isn't.
    Maybe I need to check the Terms of Use here and see what section of it you're relying on
    -- or violating. I see there's a report button. Guess it's time I see when it's appropriate to use it.

2. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

Wow. You have a lot of anger, don't you? I'm not lying. You directly insulted multiple members' intelligence repeatedly. I didn't feel the need to report that, but if you think you need to report me for calling you mean, then okay.

3. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure there's a Star Wars thread in the The Debate Room, maybe we could move this over there.

4. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

[Futile ergo redacted.]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  5. Rzero

Yes.

The Piper likes this.
  6. Laughing Rabbit

Laughing Rabbit Active Member

I can usually ignore unscientific things happening in space in scifi movies/tv shows/books, and just enjoy the overall story. Sometimes there are things that bug me a bit, but then I just shrug it off because it's "spacy-wacy" not realism. The one thing that does bug me a bit is when there's sound in space...takes me out of the story with me going "waitaminutenow..." before shrugging it off. The part in Doctor Who were Rory is talking to the Cybermen on a spaceship and an explosion takes place outside in space behind him and we hear the explosion and destruction just made me sigh and shake my head when I first saw it but since then I just enjoy the scene.

I don't like cliff hangers at the end of books, movies, or tv seasons, they don't keep me suspensefully or eagerly awaiting the next part because by the time the new book/movie/tv show comes out I've forgotten what had taken place before hand. So now I have to go back and rewatch or reread things to catch up to the new thing before I watch or read it, and if I didn't really enjoy it, I'm not going to bother with the new.

I don't like recurring deaths and resurrections of supposedly mortal characters.

I don't like the Christmas romance movies in general, but mostly because they're all alike and predictable.

7. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Season ending cliffhangers aren't horrible. Don't really like them, but not horrible. The ones I hate are when every single episode ends on a massive cliffhanger. Stopped watching Sons of Anarchy because of that. I'm finding less of it now that writers/producers are adapting to the fact that people like to binge-watch, not as much of a need to "keep them coming back" when the next episode is going to be on as soon as I get back from the fridge.

8. Rzero

That's called Alias Syndrome. Did you watch that? The first episode was an hour and a half long. They finished a story/mission in an hour, started another, and ended halfway through on a cliffhanger. They continued to end every episode for five years halfway through a story on the edge of a cliff. Every... freakin'... one.

I actually loved that show for the most part, but that wasn't their only sin. After a couple of seasons, any death of a beloved character, good guy or bad, had lost all gravity. It was guarantied they'd be back very soon, having secretly escaped being blown to bits by a bomb right in front of us. Instead of the devastating cry moment you want from a scene like that, all you thought was, "Huh, guess we won't see that character for three to six months. Wonder if the actor's on paternity leave or something." I don't mind a good character coming back. I read Marvel, so I'm used to it, but Alias was shameless.

9. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Alias...That was the Jennifer Garner cosplay festival show, right? Always used to see the commercials, but I don't think I ever watched it.

Rzero likes this.
  10. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

In defense of Star Wars (at least the original three), they are all 'comic book inspired' stories. (Read what George Lucas had to say about them, and how he was bringing his childhood love of comic books, etc, to life on the screen.) Lots has been said over the years about many aspects of Star Wars being impossible or unrealistic. I don't mind the silly stuff, because, in essence, Star Wars is a fairy tale.

We don't complain about Superman because people can't fly by just jumping into the air and holding out one arm. It's comic book stuff.

11. frigocc

frigocc Contributor Contributor

^But Kryptonians can. He's not human.

Anyways, can't stand forced friendships. If two characters hate each other at the beginning, but then have to work with each other, they ALWAYS come to an understanding. In reality, they'll probably still hate each other.

12. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

This right here is probably my biggest pet peeve, no matter the medium. Defanging death rips so much tension out of a story.

Rzero and flawed personality like this.
  13. frigocc

Watching Supernatural, and I always go back to 2 things (spoilers, obviously):

1. Why didn't they ask Colt how he made the Colt? 2. Why didn't Sam receive the Enochian chant when he cured Dean? Would've closed the gates of Hell.

Rzero likes this.
  14. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    :superidea:
    Plot Hole Filler.jpg

15. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

:superlaugh:

Cave Troll likes this.
  16. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

Worse, and this goes back to a lot of those DC superhero shows on WB, but they have a secret identity, then they keep going to public places with lots of people around to talk very loudly about their secret identity! Are you really that stupid?

flawed personality likes this.
  17. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    :superidea:
    BatmanSuperman.jpg

Malisky, Cephus, SolZephyr and 4 others like this.
  18. Ruyi

Ruyi New Member

I've only encountered this in Asian TV shows sofar, but it's extremely annoying:

Love story, everything's perfect, then the guy finds out he may be dying from some disease. Since he doesn't want to upset his girlfriend with these news or doesn't want to involve her in hospital drama, he decides to

- die in secret but first he fakes an affair with the girlfriend's best friend so she will hate him (and her friend) and not miss him when he's gone

or

- fake his own death complete with a ceremony and coffin and a lot of people (especially his girlfriend) crying while he secretly battles the disease and will later come back recovered and ready to marry the girlfriend who is, of course, so happy to see him that she doesn't realize what an asshole he actually is

or some similar crap.

I really don't see how decisions like these make the situation any better or could even be considered romantic. :bigmeh:

Malisky, jannert, Cave Troll and 3 others like this.
  19. SolZephyr

SolZephyr Member Supporter

Jumping well away in a different direction: time travel.

So many writers love incorporating time travel into their stories somehow, but almost never does it work out well for the plot, regardless of how it's implemented (with multiverse and one-directional time travel being exceptions, though the former isn't technically actual time travel).

Self consistent time loops? How did they get started then? What, that's just how it always happened? Then congratulations on confirming past, present, and future are set in stone and there is no free will in your world.

Inconsistent time loops? Hello irreconcilable paradoxes.

You have access to time travel at your own convenience? Then why aren't you using it to solve every problem you've got? Oh, of course, arbitrary rules or, oh, it's very dangerous, yes that's a good point. And what's that Miss Granger, you just forgot about it after the third book? Perfectly believable excuse, I wholeheartedly sympathize.

20. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

When we're told a character is a super strategist, but the only good strategy we see is when they win a pointless game. Meanwhile she makes really idiotic decisions for the purpose of keeping the other dooshbag character alive so she can fall in love with him, despite him murdering everyone she supposedly cares about.

Oh yeah, and I knew how she could escape imprisonment long before she figured out the SUPER SIMPLE solution.
    I hate that.

Cave Troll and SolZephyr like this.
  21. frigocc

Why didn't Hermoine use time travel? I doubt the Ministry would care if it meant stopping Voldemort...

SolZephyr and Cave Troll like this.
  22. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Best time travel series is Kage Baker's Company series, starting with In The Garden of Iden. The time travel in this series is incredibly purposeful, and Kage Baker has generated one hell of a great central idea. Not to mention, she could really WRITE. One of my all-time favourite authors.

23. SolZephyr

SolZephyr Member Supporter

I'll check it out. I usually hate time travel stories, but there are a few I like. Heck, Chrono Trigger's still in my top 3 RPG list even to this day (granted, not exclusively for the story, but still).

Cave Troll likes this.
  24. Cephus

You know, I was watching the Japanese version of Orphan Black last night and they did exactly that kind of thing. They faked a funeral so the main character's evil, abusive boyfriend would think she was dead.

25. Cephus

The Time Turner was a McGuffin, the use of which would have invalidated the entire rest of the story. It's been pointed out many, many times how much the very concept ruins Harry Potter continuity. It's one of the biggest mistakes Rowling ever made in the story.